The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Someone didn't like one of my posts. At least five other people did. Off to go cry for a while.

And yes, I'll keep talking about this for a while because this feature is just.that.amusing to my simple mind.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I really like the like/dislike feature. You can't reply to every single post you agree/disagree with, so you can replty to one or two and then click like or dislike on a few other posts.

Personally, I don't mind if people click on the thumbs-down on one of my posts. My self confidence and self-worth are fortunately not based on what annonymous internet posters feel about what I write.

4 members found this post helpful.

It's making me crazy! I keep getting "notifications" of likes and unlikes (mostly likes! Star Wars unlike!) and it pops up like I have to read it. It's doing the same thing for pms. But I can't find the pm thread that used to be there when it someone doesn't pm me. How do you get there?

I am trying to reply to a PM and I cannot remove the advertisement that is covering half (the necessary half) of the page. Anyone having the same difficulty? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    I really like the like/dislike feature. You can't reply to every single post you agree/disagree with, so you can replty to one or two and then click like or dislike on a few other posts.

Personally, I don't mind if people click on the thumbs-down on one of my posts. My self confidence and self-worth are fortunately not based on what annonymous internet posters feel about what I write.
    I don't think the thumbing is about self worth, unless you want it to be that.

I don't like it because you are not getting a true feedback to what you are saying, it interferes with real conversation when someone doesn't like what you say but is not giving you a chance to respond to their concerns, because they are not explained.

I learn from what others respond, if they agree with me or not and more important, why.
    Understanding that why is what keeps debates going and what gives us more to think about, expanding what we know.

In a philosophy forum, they added rating numbers, similar to thumbing and it became a distraction and eventually about 3/4 of the posters left the floor to the ones grandstanding for the ratings.

I don't think thumbing will do that, but if it doesn't find a better function to it than a lazy way to express agreement/disagreement without commitment and participation, why even go there?
    If it really matters and directs parts of the conversations by making thumbing important to some/many, then it will be interesting to see how posting may change to reflect that.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    ... Without the time- and bandwidth-consuming quotes of entire replies just to say "ditto" or "this!".
    Unfortunately, there are still a few obnoxious idiots that INSIST on quoting the HUGE rambling and ranting posts of their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I am trying to reply to a PM and I cannot remove the advertisement that is covering half (the necessary half) of the page. Anyone having the same difficulty? Help!
    No, because I use Ad-Blocker.

Lightbulb Suggestion!

I am a member of another equine forum and they have a very good system going.
    Members can "rep" each other based on posts they like or dislike. When a member gets good rep, their rep score increases. This score is shown beside their avatar and is an indication to other members of whether this person is a good and useful contributor to the forum. Almost a bit like Ebay feedback!

Bad rep to be honest, is not given out very often, but it is a very friendly forum.
    To prevent anyone sabotaging the process, you are not allowed to rep teh same person over and over, whether it is negative or positive. You have to spread the love (or otherwise) around before you can come back and rep the same person again.

It's not an anonymous system either - when you rep someone, you can give your reason why and this all shows up in their own control panel. Generally those who have been positive repped thank the people who do so.

I'm on several other forums where you can 'like' someone's post. One of them also has a reputation section, and you can give good or bad 'reps' if you don't like something someone says. It's not anonymous though, so if you're gonna be a hater you could very well be called out for it.

I think the thumbs up is a good idea, because I don't have to quote someone and say something moronic like "This!!". Thumbs down or 'bad' reps are just silly and so junior highish.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I've said before that if Facebook had a dislike button, or more appropriately "you're an A--" button, it would eventually lead to civil war. I think the Unappreciate function is proving that.

But I still like it

Joz, don't be upset -- I just gave you a thumbs down on your last post to see if I could take it back. Don't think you can right now, so that's something to consider.

I don't believe that there will be email notifications sent out for thumbings -- in your General Settings you can select whether or not you receive email notifications when you receive PMs. It specifies "private messages" and there isn't an option that I see for getting a notice about a thumbing. Oh my. New COTHisms developing, I can see it now...

The email notifications aren't going out right now, so I'll look around to see if I can find that out anywhere, but my initial thought is that it's not something you have to worry about.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    It's making me crazy! I keep getting "notifications" of likes and unlikes (mostly likes! Star Wars unlike!) and it pops up like I have to read it. It's doing the same thing for pms. But I can't find the pm thread that used to be there when it someone doesn't pm me. How do you get there?
    I checked your profile and you had pop-up notifications selected as an option, so I unchecked it for you. I don't understand your question about finding a PM thread though. Please feel free to contact me directly via PM or email if you can clarify a little.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Are you on Internet Explorer and have the compatibility view option turn ON? (People using version 9 had to turn it on to use the old site) -- if so, please turn it OFF. We've had success with some folks' formatting issues such as yours being resolved this way. Contact me directly if it doesn't work and you're still having trouble.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    Joz, don't be upset -- I just gave you a thumbs down on your last post to see if I could take it back.
    It was a good test all around: my ego survived intact. Phew.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    I'm on several other forums where you can 'like' someone's post. One of them also has a reputation section, and you can give good or bad 'reps' if you don't like something someone says. It's not anonymous though, so if you're gonna be a hater you could very well be called out for it.

I think the thumbs up is a good idea, because I don't have to quote someone and say something moronic like "This!!". Thumbs down or 'bad' reps are just silly and so junior highish.
    I'm on a board with the reps system too. I like it a lot. When I rep somebody, a little optional box pops up where I can say why I appreciated the post. When *I* get repped, it's really useful to know what people found so helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    I don't care about the like/dislike, but I don't want a notification every time.
    Thank you. The constant notifications are a PITA! If we've gotta have thumbs, please get rid of the notifications.

The thumbs down gets a thumbs down from me. Too easy to use for cyber-bullying, following a poster around that you dislike and giving every post they make a thumbs down.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    The thumbs down gets a thumbs down from me. Too easy to use for cyber-bullying, following a poster around that you dislike and giving every post they make a thumbs down.
    The opposite is also true, you can follow someone you like and keep giving thumbs up and have that poster shine while others are left in the dust.

I think, once living with it, thumbing is a bit of nonsense.
    Who can keep track of all that thumbing anyway and still spend any time reading and here and there responding, if they are taking the time to check thumbings?

Now, maybe those using that feature do get more out of it than some of us that don't see much sense to it do.
    If you don't care, disregard it, if you do, well, have fun with it.
    COTH is ok for all kinds of fun, right?

Way too high school for me.

What is the big deal either way?

It's all a big Meh: it's kinda nice to be able to see the substantive posts I made were useful to someone(s) and it's kinda funny and predictable to see that someone is all pouty pout over something snarky or snide I said. And funnier when they replied, AND gave me a thumbs down. Ooo, that must mean it's really serious. Dude, I am hardly going to feel harassed or bullied or, really, anything substantive over a little red thumb

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Dude, I am hardly going to feel harassed or bullied or, really, anything substantive over a little red thumb
    You may not, but someone else might, especially with those gosh-darn notifications. I don't really need to be notified of every thumb. Keep it if you want, but turn off the notifications. I only want to be notified of PM's!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson