The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    But what does the "1 out of 3 members appreciate this post" mean? Does it mean 1 person clicked thumbs-up and two used the thumbs-down?
    Indeed, is that what it means? Or if someone posts a reply without liking or disliking, does that count in the grand total, too?
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    From some back and forth with Mod1 on the BETA version of the new board, I think the thumbs down button is on trial to see how it goes. The thought was that we could cut down on the number of nasty posts if people could just hit thumbs down instead of posting a negative ranting attack.
    I think the people who want to post a ranting attack still will, they won't be deterred. What I fear happening is the people who are too afraid to post a dissenting opinion will now have the freedom to thumbs down many posts they don't agree with. All in all ok, but I think it will put a damper on certain posters who suddenly find themselves unpopular. I don't want that to happen, because this board will become too homogeneous and boring.

Personally don't like either one, and feel they are not necessary.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

I'm a lot more concerned that if you look at someone's supposedly public profile, your user name is imprinted on their page for them and anyone else to see and wonder what prompted you to look. And that anyone who looks at yours gets their name planted on your public profile for the world to see.

That kind of privacy abuse is what destroyed MySpace.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    There are a lot of unstable shut ins around here I think LOL
    for a second I read slut there....

DISLIKE!

nah, just kidding.

(and there, I thought I would be the queen of dislikes...go forth and crush my dreams!)

But seriously, you get an anonymous dislike, shrug it off. It's better than the well known special friend poking at you, trying to bait you into losing your temper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think the thumbs downing encourages ad hominem attacks. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with an opinion in a post, but it's a cotton pickin' waste of every one's time if you don't offer a reason as to why the idea was so hateable.

You can't have reasoned debate with just one thumb, my friends.

On the other hand, you can thumb down the snot out of whatever someone posts. And you don't need to explain yourself. How does that action not reek of dissing the person, not the idea.

In short, Mods, I give your thumbing idea a thumbs down. But at least you can see why I'd vote that way. You can then intelligently do with my opinion what you will. See how this works?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    I'm a lot more concerned that if you look at someone's supposedly public profile, your user name is imprinted on their page for them and anyone else to see and wonder what prompted you to look. And that anyone who looks at yours gets their name planted on your public profile for the world to see.

Oh, really? One the very guy, Diesel Dork forums I visit has this option. I don't think anyone cares. Heck, these dudes have get togethers to work on their trucks... someone brings an engine hoist and someone else brings the Jersey Ice Tea and a third dude lets everyone use the shop in his yard for a three day weekend.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Interesting! I'm going to go to your profile to see what it shows to others viewing.

Edited to say: Yep. It shows me that you have had 4 visits to your profile lately and that the last two were by me and [don't remember the name, but it did show the name].
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Interesting! I'm going to go to your profile to see what it shows to others viewing.
    I just checked your profile to see and sure enough! So, yes, I was looking at your profile - don't get creeped out.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Two thumbs down on a single post. I'm rolling in the deep!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Oh, really? One the very guy, Diesel Dork forums I visit has this option. I don't think anyone cares. Heck, these dudes have get togethers to work on their trucks... someone brings an engine hoist and someone else brings the Jersey Ice Tea and a third dude lets everyone use the shop in his yard for a three day weekend.
    But that is one of the differences between men and women. Guys can have a disagreement or maybe one guy says something the the other doesn't like. An hour later, they are working on trucks, motorcycles, cars or having a beer. Women, on the other hand, often get in cat fights about little things that cause them to hold grudges for a really long time.

My computer pad is set on sensitive and if the courser gets any extra second over the name, it will go to that page, even if I didn't want to know any more information about that poster.

Not every time a name appears they were looking at the profile or even got to see it if they clicked right off before the page appeared.

I wonder how those thumbs will play in debates that most here tend to disagree?
    I think they are a distraction for many more than an asset for a few.
    Then, I have been wrong before, will see how this will play out.

Oh, also the blue reply tag doesn't work for me, the quick reply window is the only way to post.

So what? I can see giving a Thumbs Down to a particular comment posted by somebody I like. That just means I disagree with that comment, so I could disagree with that one thing but generally speaking give that poster lots of Thumbs Up. Clicking "dislike" is supposed to mean you disagree w/that comment, it's not a vendetta towards that individual. Sheesh.

Though I don't think I'll be using the Thumbs Down too often. Generally I click on "appreciate" to show support and don't bother giving the stupid comments the dislike. Too many attention horse out there who love being persecuted.

Edited to say: Yep. It shows me that you have had 4 visits to your profile lately and that the last two were by me and [don't remember the name, but it did show the name].
    Thanks for double-checking that. Interestingly, I don't know that other person, or don't immediately recognize the handle, anyway. Now I have to wonder what their motivation was. (No doubt they saw the post and tried it out, too.) But maybe I should go check them out...

All kidding aside, I don't like that, and it was indeed the thing that sank MySpace and created the opening for FB to take over. Can't imagine what the developers of this package were thinking, particularly since it appears their goal was to try to more closely emulate social network sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    But what does the "1 out of 3 members appreciate this post" mean? Does it mean 1 person clicked thumbs-up and two used the thumbs-down?
    It depends...if it's on a post you agree with, then it means that 2/3s of the posters are idiots. If it's on a post you disagree with, then it means that 1/3 of the posters are idiots...

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I think the thumbs downing encourages ad hominem attacks. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with an opinion in a post, but it's a cotton pickin' waste of every one's time if you don't offer a reason as to why the idea was so hateable.

You can't have reasoned debate with just one thumb, my friends.

On the other hand, you can thumb down the snot out of whatever someone posts. And you don't need to explain yourself. How does that action not reek of dissing the person, not the idea.

In short, Mods, I give your thumbing idea a thumbs down. But at least you can see why I'd vote that way. You can then intelligently do with my opinion what you will. See how this works?

COTH is a discussion forum, and I think it takes a lot away from it for people to vote up and down without giving a reason. I learn a lot from people who disagree with one another and with me and explain why.

I understand that the thumbs up button will cut down on posts that just say or ^^ this and nothing else, but I have no problem with those posts. They tell me that another COTHer, often someone whose experience level and expertise I'm familiar with, agree with what is being said. An anonymous like button does not provide that. I also don't see a lot of posts that say "I disagree" and nothing else, what would be the point? So why have that as a button?

I'm also not a fan of people's profiles reflecting how many people agree or disagree with their political opinions on the OT forum, which is where I wager the up/ down buttons will be most used.
    <><

Thanks for double-checking that. Interestingly, I don't know that other person, or don't immediately recognize the handle, anyway. Now I have to wonder what their motivation was. (No doubt they saw the post and tried it out, too.) But maybe I should go check them out...

All kidding aside, I don't like that, and it was indeed the thing that sank MySpace and created the opening for FB to take over. Can't imagine what the developers of this package were thinking, particularly since it appears their goal was to try to more closely emulate social network sites.
    minus the thumbs down it's a common feature on the forum software for some time now. I am a member of several other places who run the same kind of setup. It actually works well. (they also have a 'Karma' option in addition to the thumbs thing. Seems like when it's anonymous, the negative reps just keep on flying....)
    And the visitor message, and the other stuff.
    It has worked well for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    It depends...if it's on a post you agree with, then it means that 2/3s of the posters are idiots. If it's on a post you disagree with, then it means that 1/3 of the posters are idiots...
    (LOL) I appreciate jetsmom's post.

Oops, better go click on it.

I just went and stalked my own profile to see who viewed it... then clicked their name so now I feel SUPER awkward! Not really my favorite feature...
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I'm curious, can you vote up or down more than once? I can see that getting out of hand if you can; agreeing with your own post 50 times and then saying "See! Everyone agrees with my point of view!

Of course, if people could learn just to hit the thumbs down button instead of making all the snide, "aren't I the clever one" comments, it could be a good thing.

It will be interesting to see how it effects things, if at all.

ETA: I see you can't "vote" more than once, so that would take a whole lot of alters to make yourself look popular, lol.
    Last edited by MoonoverMississippi; Oct. 30, 2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: new info

Also, please don't let COTH turn into the comments section of the Daily Mail.
    <><