The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up I Quit Sugar

Anyone else?

My interest in first quitting sugar was piqued by an Australian blogger named Sarah Wilson, formerly an Aussie Cosmo editor. Her blog is a great source of interesting health articles. The original post is here: http://dft.ba/-iqs

I dragged my feet about it but after a whirlwind couple of months (and a road trip in which I'm pretty sure I lived off of the Twizzler family) of crazy eating I was ready for a change! On October 1st I quit sugar. I had a few 'slip ups'--that turned into binges of Ben and Jerry's! Left me covered in hives and horrible hungover from the sugar crash.

My darling, soda-fiend boyfriend decided to join me on this adventure so we both committed to it on the 15th. Today was two weeks of no-sugar so we treated ourselves--me to a kids size (8 ounces!) hot chocolate from Starbucks, him to a 14 oz Dr. Pepper. We both felt REALLY loopy afterwards but were sure to make it really feel like a treat--we put on some cute clothes, walked to our local Starbucks, and sipped our drinks in what passes for fall in Texas.

Day-to-day I do not (and the boyfriend feels the same) miss sugar at all. I drink a cup or two a day of some type of tea--I am a total tea hoarder now! Chai, Licorice, Green, Lemon Ginger. I have also upped my veggie intake and try to eat vegetables at EVERY MEAL (yes even breakfast!). I don't shy away from fat--I cook with both butter and coconut oil (which I LOVE). We also eat grass-fed meats. Although I know it's the popular thing to do I am still very on the fence about low-carb. I eat quinoa, millet, some rice, and some oats still--maybe 1 or 2 servings a day. I made some homemade granola using honey (I only use it for baking, the boyfriend eats it every few days) and we have really ramped up our at-home cooking--a huge challenge for us. Baked salmon, butternut squash, homemade pizza have all been fun adventures! (I had a brief love affair with oatmeal in college but just barely cooked I'm embarrassed to say so meal planning and cooking food that doesn't come from a box is a new challenge for me!)

Most of my relatives have had a good long laugh when I tell them I've quit sugar--I was a sugar fiend in high school and college and I do still love ice cream. However I am now of the opinion that sugar should really be a treat. I've already researched some high-quality chocolate for when I want a treat again! We see Thanksgiving as our next splurge day for sure! Ain't gonna pass up pumpkin pie!

Health-wise I have had more energy, better sleep, clearer skin, and just less overall moodiness. When I do crave sugar I have some tea or water and have found that I crave more flavors than the sweetness of sugar. Going to continue to try out new dishes in the kitchen!

Here are some resources for anyone who thinks I'm a bit nutty! Lol. They say it can take up to 3 months to be completely free of the sugar demon if it is plaguing you!

Some cool links (I'm a total nerd about health stuff...)

Dr. Robert Lustig's now-famous talk on sugar: http://dft.ba/-2qkr

NY Times article: http://tinyurl.com/6enabg2

Great interview with Dr. Robert Lustig on Alec Baldwin's radio show: http://tinyurl.com/9e2kvna

At Halloween?

Scary!

Good luck to you!
    It might take a while for the taste buds to gain the new bearings....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I quit added sugar a few weeks ago and I feel great! I was getting awful, throbbing headaches every day and I made the connection somehow to my daily intake of sugar (a teaspoon in my coffee, a bit in some candy, you know–it added up). I feel so much better now. It has taken no effort at all.

I'm not worrying about the sugar in normal foods such as breads and soups and things—I'm just avoiding the obvious dessert-type items, and it's working for me.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I bailed, too, about 15 years ago.

And sugar was my thing. Let me be clear:

I considered white lard frosting like you'd get on a supermarket cake a delicacy.

The proper cake-to-frosting ratio is "just enough cake to provide a platform for the frosting/ 3-D amounts of frosting."

I'd cut a b!tch for the corner piece of (someone else's) birthday cake.

If the heater were broken in my truck and I'd come home cold, the solution was not a hot shower. It was Ben and Jerry's.

If one "trains for it" one can eat more than one pint of this stuff at a time. (Sadly, I never reached two pints.)

So when I quit, this was my logic:

I won't eat sugar because it creates 3 days of jonesing for more. That's awful.

But in Times of War, all rules are to be broken because either death or victory are immanent and all of life will change afterwards.

So the question was "Does whatever happened in my life count as War such that I'm willing to endure 3 days of withdrawal?"

Also, I jacked up the fat and protein at first with any kind of carb I ate. The goal was to soften or slow the sugar crash.

Congrats on your effort to quit.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks!

didgery,

Added sugar is definitely the easiest thing to quit I think. My boyfriend makes our bread and uses honey and molasses in his baking. I will have a piece or two over the course of the week. We buy small quantities of organic ketchup, mustard, and bbq sauce and do not worry about the sugar in those since we use them rarely and sparingly. We aim for no more than 20 grams of sugar of the course of a day. That's less than the sugar content of a can of soda!

mvp,

So what's your definition of 'Times of War'?

mvp and theblondejumper,
    Can you write more about your experience of ACTUALLY quitting? Like, day 1, day 2, day 3?

I *know* I need to do it, but I cannot actually imagine getting there. I've tried low-carb and counting calories and high-vegetable and Atkins - but always I have included sugar, or fallen off the wagon to sugar sooner rather than later.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Blugal,

Sending you a massive PM. If anyone else would like my thoughts on the cravings please PM me. I tend to go on and don't want to clog up the thread!

ok, i need help with sugar too. though my issue is more likely wheat, sugar can't be helping.
    i'm a ben and jerry girl too, and have successfully given that up for a few months. but let me near a pint of new york super fudge chunk and it won't be pretty.
    please may i have a pm too?!

Suz,

Sending it now!

Currently WIDE AWAKE here at almost 3 am CST thanks to my hot chocolate...:/

send it my way too please

I sort of gave up sugar a few months ago, and am interested in how other people are getting on, what they're doing etc. I fall off the wagon every now and then, but just dust myself off and climb back up again

Edited to add: well done!
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

CONGRATS! Sugar is my long-time friend. Or so I thought. If I didn't have tons of sugar every day, I would become a total, raging, B*TCH! I do mean TONS of sugar, too. My sugar habit was in the $20/DAY range! Not just bad for my body, but hard on the pocketbook, too. I finally quit. Cold turkey. All it took was my ex to break up with me! I was so depressed and in such a bad place that I hardly ate anything. When I started crawling out of the hole a couple months later, I realized that not only did I lose weight, but I lost my sugar habit. I fell off the wagon for a couple weeks, had daily headaches, and hopped back on. I am much happier, and richer, for it.

Good for all of you! I find I can do without sugar pretty easily and feel much better without it, but salt? No way! I try to eat very healthy and please don't get me wrong, I really do love a good Grapenut ice cream, but I really wish I could lower my sodium I take. I just seem to think everything tastes soooooo much better with a pound of salt. Ok, that's an exaggeration but still. Carry on. Sorry for highjacking the thread.

sugar is awful! I quit cold turkey for 12 weeks getting ready for a physique competition for the middle of october, now admittedly I have slipped up trying to find a balance between competition prep and real life! I had been doing okay until last night, then i ate a bunch of mini chocolate bars (oops), woke up with an awful headache, and now it's time to get back off it. One way I find helps kick whatever you're trying to cut out is food journals, and having someone that makes you accountable, SO, friend, just someone! For me it's my trainer, I do a lot of food journals for him, not just for cutting stuff out, but so he knows how much I'm eating and when.

Stevia is an awesome organic alternative to sugar, for anyone interested google the eat clean diet, the cook books are fabulous, and it's not a diet more of a lifestyle.

A great hot chocolate recipe is
    1/2C Milk (I use almond as i try and stay away from dairy)(
    1/8C water
    1-2tbsp unsweetened coco powder
    1 packet vanilla stevia
    cinnamon!

I found a sugar free hot chocolate recipe online and made some changes to it, I think it's better than normal hot chocolate!

Horse w/ no name--PM sent!

North Dakota, thank looks like a great recipe!

Was wide awake thanks to my internal alarm clock...ugh.

Drinking some tea now and then having a good solid breakfast!

I am lucky I was born with a sugar meter installed.

I have never been able to eat anything very sweet at all, a few bites and I hit the limit.

No cookies, pies, cakes ice cream and all that stuff, or only a bite or two and then not one more bite.

Soft drinks?
    I used to drink coke, some times Gatorade, but watered them way down.
    Just don't drink any any more, for years now.

Now, salt, I can eat anything salty, almost crave some salty stuff at times.

Since now we think overusing sugars are one of the main causes of some of today's health problems, I think that giving our sugar intake a second look makes sense.

Bluey, agreed! Dr. Robert Lustig's talk on Youtube is a great analysis of all of the extra sugars occurring in the US diet even without soda!

I no longer crave massive quantities of the stuff, only small bites or sips!

Quote Originally Posted by theblondejumper View Post
    So what's your definition of 'Times of War'?
    It's very personal. It's the thing that's So Bad that you accept that you'll suffer 3 days of withdrawal for it (or die, in which case, who cares?)

The point is that you don't make promises about "never again" that you aren't sure you can keep. You give yourself the out-- the "break glass in case of fire" option. And then each time you say, "Really? Is this Armageddon? What if it's actually like Y2K, I wake up tomorrow to just another day, but now I have a sugar hangover, too? Is it worth it in this case?"

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    mvp and theblondejumper,
    Can you write more about your experience of ACTUALLY quitting? Like, day 1, day 2, day 3?.
    Again, the trick is to know your mind well enough to use exactly what motivates you. "Stick" (you'll die of sugardom and be ugly as well as crazy and antisocial before you die) doesn't do it for me. "Carrot," however, does.

So for me, I had to get convinced that my life would get better if I bailed on sugar, and I had to list the things that sugar had cost me. (See the above list of crazy).

I rarely get anything from self-help books, but one came along at the right time. It basically explained just how fast sugar, flour or protein and whatever converted to blood glucose.

So when I didn't think I could give up, say, french bread, I committed to eating that after or with a whole bunch of protein. If I was going to go toward the psychological addiction to carbs, I was going to make sure that I didn't have the physical high as well.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    ok, i need help with sugar too. though my issue is more likely wheat, sugar can't be helping.
    Yeah, when you get really into it, you figure out that refined flour and sometimes gluten have a similar effect as sugar. It took me several years to want to bail on wheat and flour.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Yea I have also become very sensitive to wheat. Thankfully I am feeling confident enough in the kitchen to try something new!

Sugar free here too...

Honestly- after a while... even if you tried something with sugar in it, you can't possibly chew/swallow it.. doesn't taste right anymore.

I've been like that for the last 3 years.. fell off the wagon slightly (really really slightly) by being a bit more lenient this past summer and back to 100% no sugar because I started feeling like crap... again!

For anyone that has ever gone through candida or has it- you understand the feeling.. it's like DEATH!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Thanks for the PM, OP! And for the input, mvp!

In the past I have fairly easily given up flour, pasta, potatoes. My weakness really is sugar (chocolate, to be exact). I also prefer sugary fruits and sweet vegetables. And if I am deprived of that stuff, I go to salt.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng