The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    I keep getting booted off when I try to reply to threads. Some times the reply box freezes up too.

And I've gotten the "sure you want to navigate away" message multiple times, including today.

I use Internet Explorer.
    Yup - I've frequently been getting that to. And if you "navigate off the page", you lose whatever you were posting. I've been able to circumvent this by "staying on the page" & then going to the "Go Advanced" posting section & then submitting my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Yup - I've frequently been getting that to. And if you "navigate off the page", you lose whatever you were posting. I've been able to circumvent this by "staying on the page" & then going to the "Go Advanced" posting section & then submitting my post.
    Wow, really? This is definitely not how it behaves for me. If I get the "Do you want to navigate off the page?" prompt after clicking the "Post Quick Reply" box, I hit yes and my post posts to the thread. I do not lose anything.

This is in Firefox. Are you using a different browser?

I posted this earlier to another person, and I'm not sure if it applies, but for those getting the prompt re: being sure if you want to navigate away from the page:

Please be sure that when you're composing a message in the quick reply box at the bottom of the page, that when you want to submit the message, you click the "Post Quick Reply" button at the bottom of the box and NOT the "Post Reply" button above the box.

The Post Reply button above the box takes you to the full/regular reply composition screen, which is why you'd be prompted about whether or not you wanted to leave the page if you were in the process of composing a message in the quick reply box.

I did this myself a couple of times, which is why I bring it up as a possibility!

If those experiencing the problem don't think that's the cause, please let me know.

Please be aware that if you accidentally close down a thread you were in the middle of replying to, or you lose it for some reason, if you open the thread back up and go to the reply box, you should be able to click "Restore Auto-Saved Content" at the bottom of the message composition box. It will restore whatever you had typed up until the last time the little yellow "auto-saved" message popped up when you were composing your message previously. Pretty cool new feature!

Mod 1, I am definitely not clicking the post reply button instead of the post quick reply button. I hit post quick reply, I get the prompt, I click "okay" (or yes or whatever the affirmative is) and my post is added to the thread. Sometimes I am taken back to post one on the thread and sometimes I am taken to the last post on the thread. When this happens to me, it's repeatable--that is, if I click "no" at the prompt and try clicking "post quick reply" again, I get the prompt. I can say no as many times as I like, but my response doesn't post until I say "yes" at the prompt to navigate away from the page. As near as I can tell, actually getting the prompt initially is not predictable at all. Sometimes I see it a few times a day, others I do not see it at all.

The "post reply" button is also still finicky and not clickable for me unless I line up the tip of the cursor to the top edge of the button.

Speaking of the post reply button, I still have very hit or miss results when I try to use the button at the bottom of the page. The one at the top of the page always works.

Knock wood.

Simkie said earlier that she is on Firefox; what browser are others using who are experiencing issues with the "do you want to leave this page" prompt when attempting to post replies?

Thanks!
    Mod 1

I use FF and I get the 'do you want to leave this page' when using the quick reply box and the 'post quick reply' button.

Like has been said above, the post reply button at the bottom of the page has never been fixed so to use it you have to hit the very small spot above it that actually works. Are they still working on that problem or are they just leaving it not working?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    Simkie said earlier that she is on Firefox; what browser are others using who are experiencing issues with the "do you want to leave this page" prompt when attempting to post replies?
    I think I've had it happen on both Safari and Google Chrome. It took me a while to realize it only seems to happen when I want to leave the page after composing a reply without posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I think I've had it happen on both Safari and Google Chrome. It took me a while to realize it only seems to happen when I want to leave the page after composing a reply without posting it.
    This is how the feature is supposed to function. Have you ever typed up a long reply and then accidentally hit back or closed the window or something like that? The prompt is one layer of prevention so you don't lose your entire post. The whole autosave thing is another.

I have had it happen on Explorer and Chrome.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks!
    Mod 1
    Firefox. When I just did a "post quick reply" I got the prompt, said yes, and then got the message saying that I couldn't post twice in 30 seconds. I checked the thread, and my post had gone through.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    It happens to me when I'm just trying to post; I've never attempted to leave the page before posting but still get the prompt.

Alright Mod 1, this might be helpful:

I just got the prompt while posting in the Eventing forum. I thought I'd try to get a video capture for you, so I just left it and went to go set up the software to do the actual capture. It took a few minutes because my internet connection was acting a little weird.

By the time I got back here and had everything set up, my connection was back to normal and the post went through without a pop up, which is the first time that's happened--always in the past, if I get the pop up once I get it again, but I don't think I've ever just let it sit for several minutes before trying again.

Perhaps the prompt only occurs if the board is a little laggy or the user's internet connection is slow?

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    It happens to me when I'm just trying to post; I've never attempted to leave the page before posting but still get the prompt.
    Same here!

The 'do you want to leave this page' thing just happened to me. Using quick reply and the post quick reply button.

Hi Judysmom ~

I'm just getting caught up after being away for a couple of weeks... I haven't heard of a consistent issue of this kind happening with other users. Could you please try clearing your cookies/cache and see if that helps resolve the issue?

Please report back either way to let me know how it's going.
    Sorry for the trouble!
    Mod 1
    Hi Mod, so its still happening to me but I've realized its when I use Ispell. I check spelling and then I try to post, and then it tells me that I'm not logged in and I have to refresh.

So I have not been using Ispell, which is rough as spelling is not my forte, and we all know about the spelling police on this forum

Also wondering if the "Post Reply" button on the bottom will be fixed at some point.

1 members found this post helpful.