The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SCM1959 View Post
    Search function? Where is it now?
    How were you accessing it before?

It's in the blue bar at the top. Click "search." This is also how I accessed it in the old format...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Today I'm getting notification of a new post on a thread I'm posting in, but when I click on the link to get to that post (or a newer one), I'm getting the thread from days before, with no new posts. I tried refreshing, but still didn't get the current post.
    That's been happening for a few days, at least as far back as your post, Clint. A blizzard of notifications every few hours, but most all for OT Day threads that have been closed most of the week.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Ok, at least it isn't me then... I'm also getting email notifications on threads I've already unsubscribed from, and the "new posts" are from a ways back. When I try to unsubscribe, I'm told it is an invalid link. Meh.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

2 members found this post helpful.

Mod 1, a problem that came to light today for me that I do not believe has been mentioned previously:

In the old format, if I got within 10 messages of my cap of private messages, there was a little warning note--"98% capacity reached" or something like that.

In this new format, there is no warning.

I found the little warning line helpful and would love to see it returned.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    I'm also using IE9 and have the menu shifting to the right. I currently haven't been visiting the COTH BB at all due to the small font and the red font. It's just too hard on the eyes.

One thing I've used THE MOST on the BB is the search feature for doing research, looking up medical stuff, bloodlines, etc....and I have to say, the new search is extremely disappointing. I used to be able to put in a sire's name, for example, and choose to see the name in posts and it would take me to the next page and show that name highlighted in red and I could go directly to the post. Now when I put in a name, it goes back to posts from 2004 and just shows the thread, but not the actual post the word is in. I also see no way to go from the most recent backwards. All I seem to be able to do is go from the earliest date forward and then have to search through each thread to find the name/word! As well, many search terms I used to use on a regular basis are now coming up with zero results.
    As an example of my complaint from a few days ago, I got the above reply as a notification of a new reply TODAY. It was posted Oct 31. Also, still get emails of "new replies" from a thread from OT day (Confessions Thread), and the emails are not the newest replies from the thread closed weeks ago, and I still can't unsubscribe from it. When I try to unsubscribe from any thread, it says invalid forum or thread ID.

Another vote for getting rid of the thumbs down. There's no conceivable benefit to that function, except for demoralizing people and discouraging participation. If a post is offensive it can be reported, but otherwise people just use thumbs down spitefully. There are two threads in the western forum that show this particularly well (bit hobble)

2 members found this post helpful.

The new format is way worse than the old one. I want to know about PMs, not the silly notifications. Please go back to the old format - it worked.

I also have internet explorer formatting issues on the entire forum. UGH!!!
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    The new format is way worse than the old one. I want to know about PMs, not the silly notifications. Please go back to the old format - it worked.

I also have internet explorer formatting issues on the entire forum. UGH!!!
    If you read the whole thread you would know they can not just go back.

You might want to check out This Thread to fix your problem. It sounds like it might be the solution.

Aha. I haven't been able to use 'post reply' blue button, only quick reply. Though I just tried MHM's suggestion and indeed the button at top of the page works, but not at the bottom of the page. Hopefully the bottom one will get fixed in due time? Because usually, if I want to reply, it's after reading last post, I'm right there at that 'bottom' blue button.

That said, I have no 'complaints,' since it's a free board and I do appreciate efforts to improve it, which are always accompanied by glitches to be resolved. In fact I just can't wait til Monday morning when we'll have 'new and improved' email at work, I know how that's going to go!

So, thanks to Mods and COTH techies for the good work you do!

I am also amused by the 'thumbs' and the notifications. To my mind, the 'thumbs down' votes will only bolster my 'bad girl' image! But it doesn't seem to serve any particular purpose- if I have an issue with a particular post, especially if I think it contains bad info, I'm not shy about saying so, no need for anonymity!

Well, I found that if I copy/paste the unsubscribe link into the browser bar, it does appear that it unsubscribes me from the thread. Never had to before, could just click the link, which now tells me it's invalid.

Tried copy/pasting threads I'm still getting old notifications for, and it says invalid forum id specified, not entirely sure what the deal is with that. Maybe I will be getting tardy notifications on "When friends lie" (et al) for the rest of my life

I know I have made it clear that I HATE the freaking thumbs both up and down so I won't go into that again. I do think if you aren't going to get rid of them could you at least disable them so the lunatic who got their thread locked (again!) can't continue to go through and thumb down all the posts after it is locked?

Just thought I would comment that I still can't use the post reply button at the bottom of the page, only the quick reply box. One would think that would have gotten fixed early on, but nope...
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I know I have made it clear that I HATE the freaking thumbs both up and down so I won't go into that again. I do think if you aren't going to get rid of them could you at least disable them so the lunatic who got their thread locked (again!) can't continue to go through and thumb down all the posts after it is locked?

The mods said they were going to at least get rid of the thumbs down. But it's been a while...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Haven't read through all the pages but the one issue I have is, lets say you're reading pg 2 of a thread on Off Course. You're done reading it, and want to go back to Off Course. When you click the little down arrow to go to Off Course, it won't let you. So then you have to hit the back button however many times to get back to the main forum.

Does that make sense? There should be a button that says "Go back to Off Course" or something like that, to get you back to the main forum page.

I just noticed today that the "original poster" notation isn't showing up anymore? I really liked that as I didn't have to go back to see who is who so much. I thought the comments were pretty universally positive about that change, so why remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I just noticed today that the "original poster" notation isn't showing up anymore? I really liked that as I didn't have to go back to see who is who so much. I thought the comments were pretty universally positive about that change, so why remove it?
    It is still showing for me.

ETA - I take that back. It showed on the first few pages of this thread but this post did not get it.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

ETA - I take that back. It showed on the first few pages of this thread but this post did not get it.
    I see it on this post. I think you just don't see it for yourself?!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

How bizarre as it is now showing on this post of yours! But earlier, it wasn't on the threads I looked at. I was on my ipad then, pc now, so maybe that is the issue (previously didn't matter, showed no matter what)?! Very interesting.

ETA: Nope, not PC vs. Apple. I just looked at another thread (started today) on one of other forums and the OP is not showing with the red "original poster" note...maybe it only works on threads started prior to a certain time??

Can someone give me an example of a thread where the OP differentiation isn't working, and let me know what browser and version you're on?

Also, those who are still having trouble with the Post Reply button on the bottom of the page, what browser and version are you on?

Thanks so much!
    Mod 1

I am often having a situation where I write quick reply and then it takes a long long time to load. And it asks me do I want to navigate away from the page. I say yes... and voila... double post.
    ~Veronica