The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bought a Bunn Commercial Coffee machine so I can have real hot water at the barn (brand new for $100!)

Bought hay from several CL advertisers

Haven't sold anything yet, although I tried!

I'll ditto "Freecycle" for giveaway stuff.... have gotten 2 dead chest freezers & a barn fridge from FC and gave away over 700 feet of ancient fencing we took down.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Sold: Ponies; motorcycles; car seats and baby stuff; motorcycle riding gear; youth saddles; used furniture; goats; Barbie Jeep.

Bought/Adopted: Kitties; dogs (Great Pyrenees/Marmemma); goats; ponies; hay; hay huts; trailer; Barbie Jeep.
    Last edited by FatCatFarm; Oct. 30, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Sold my horse trailer, rehomed some baby bunnies that made a home under a stall mat, sold a kayak, pregnancy pillow....

Bought a vintage Schwinn bike for my elderly neck so I could still ride a little.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

I bought 3 horse trailers, a pick up, a cat, an OTTB, and a $25,000 Oldenburg for $1900 (you read that right). a pop up shelter for the pony.

I sold 2 horse trailers, an OTTB, a cat, a Trans Am.

Here in UT we have KSL.com which is free classifieds so no one really posts on CL. BUT I have sold a mattress and a desk on CL when I lived in FL! Have not bought anything from there.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

I've sold a classic car and a Nintendo Wii. I've bought a fish tank, a chair and adopted two parrots.

OMG... What haven't I bought on Craigslist:

My cat
    My truck
    My SAAB
    My couch
    My tack trunk
    My kitchen table
    My Brenderup
    My Wii
    My cell phone

Oh, and the biggest one of all -

MY HOUSE. No lie. Bought my house on CL.

Things I have sold:

My old house. (A nightmare - I don't recommend ever doing the FSBO thing!)
    A ferret cage
    A rabbit hutch
    A couch
    A dog crate

I've probably saved thousands of dollars buying things used that I would have spent a lot more on new, but it's also created this bad habit of browsing CL just to look. Like window shopping. Then I wind up buying something I really wasn't in the market to buy (which is kind of what happened with my house.) It's both a blessing and a curse.

The thing that I hate about CL is the tire kicker buyers though. When I intend to buy something, I ALWAYS call or if there is not a number, I e-mail with my phone number and ask them to call me. I don't get into a back and forth e-mail banter with anyone and I never, EVER e-mail about something I don't have the funds to buy immediately. Too bad many CL buyers don't self-police in a similar fashion. When I sell, I've had more no-shows than I care to think about.

FSBO'ed my house on CL after getting blown off by two realtors. Price it to move, it sold in two weeks in 2010.

Bought a chest freezer and my 1969 Mustang.

We got a few good deals on used musical instruments.
    Saved a ton of money on each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I really need to stay off CL! In the past 4 years I've bought - 1 miniature horse, 1 Shetland pony, 2 Nigerian dwarf goats, 2 Boer bottle baby goats, 1 sheep, an awesome ACD puppy, a barn cat (free), lots and lots of hay, and several horse blankets and misc. tack.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

cat trees, gorgeous oak desk, hutch, return and file cabinet for $825 (riverside oak set), horse feeder, hay, dog house, found some of the kittens I've fostered
    for our local humane society, our Aussie, several vehicles tho they were dealer listings, sofa and loveseat, file cabinets, dog bed, china cabinet, display cabinet....yegads, didn't release it was so much until listing it all.

I haven't bought anything on Craigslist but I have sold about 10 ponies and 2 donkeys.

Bought my DH's yellow horse, Scout

I sold a jet ski, for cash, in a down economy and got my asking price. It helped that the seller didn't trust me any more than I trusted him. The transfer was amusing with me unhooking the trailer from my truck as he passed me the sack of cash. We were both trustworthy, we just didn't know it.
    You are what you dare.

1 members found this post helpful.

A lovely custom made tack-trunk - $125 - although I still need to locate a larger latch for it.

Adopted my Irish Wolfhound. "Fee" - $300. Many takers, we won!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I need to stop reading it. I keep winding up with skinny free horses from it!

But I have bought numerous cars, furniture, and household items, not to mention found out about fabulous garage sales. People here (Los Angeles) dump designer clothes like you would not believe. You go to a sale with $20 and come home with two Tahari suits and a pair of $200 jeans.

DH has sold a lot of heavy tools and equipment on it--a compressor, a metal punch, a saw--and I sold a horse trailer. My farrier scored a really nice full-sized leather couch for $&%!

On Freecycle, I've given away and taken numerous things (got a leather recliner and a gently used love seat, have given away lots of clothes, furniture, books, magazines).

That said, our local Freecycle chapter head runs the list like she's the head of the Gestapo. I just finished cleaning out my basement, but I'll take the clothes and books to my local thrift shop instead because I'm sick of having my postings bounced for ridiculous reasons. For instance, I'd been trying to find a dead chest freezer for a feed bin, but we aren't allowed to put the condition of the item in the subject line. I tried to make the argument that my request for a dead freezer was fundamentally different from the multiple requests each week for working chest freezers, but she refused to accommodate me. So she's effectively chased away at least one person from using our local Freecycle.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

My husband loves Craigslist, so I couldn't even think of all the things that have come from here. He often buys cheap motorcycles and fixes them and resells them on craigslist.

He's also sold a sailboat, saddles, Wii, woodworking tools, ferrets and I'm sure more.

I sold a halter and bought a horse trailer and winter horse blankets and a nice lens for my Nikon camera. I'm sure more.

I think that's the first thing my husband does when he comes in from work: goes and checks out Craigslist and then checks on E-bay. He is good with money and it's cool some of the good deals he's gotten. Although, he is disappointed we don't have a larger garage to house some of his finds! I argue that's not really necessary to have more than two weed eaters, five motorcycles, and a leaf blower in the garage that was meant for one 66 mustang.

I bought a horse trailer and sold a horse trailer. It took less then a week to sell my trailer and the first people who saw it paid cash/asking price. Got a great deal on the trailer I bought too.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

I've sold lots...everything from bikes to furniture to cars. Mostly big stuff though. I found that the little items sell better at garage sales or ebay.
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com