The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default jingles needed for my parents * update they're ok*

Live on NJ coast and they didn't evacuate--incredibly stupid and no amount of daughters yelling at them would change their minds.
    It's not high tide yet and the water came up so fast it just crashed through their basement doors. Water's too high for them to leave now.
    God I'm so angry at them but scared to friggin death.
    They'llbeokthey'llbeokthey'llbeokthey'llbeok
    Last edited by HungarianHippo; Oct. 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: updated title

Oh goodness, jingles for your parents. I know several people along the coast that didn't evacuate, I haven't heard from them.

Prayers and jingles for your parents, and you too.

Can you keep in touch with them in any way? Do you know if their neighbors stayed too?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Oh Honey.. sending best wishes.

HH, sending prayers.

They'llbeok, they'llbeok, THEY WILL BE OK! Sending prayers ,jingles and hugs for you and your parents.

dad's texting fairly regularly. no power or phone tho. IDK abuot the neighbors-- as of this morning they were staying too but haven't asked tonight.
    As long as the house stays structurally ok, they'll be fine on the 2nd floor. And they're not getting ocean waves directly onto the house. I'm pulling readings off the NOAA buoy at Sandy Hook which is where they are, and it's over 13ft. At 14ft it breaches their 1st floor. F**k F**k F**k

I certainly hope that they are OK, but absolutely cannot understand the decision not to evacuate.

They are risking not only their own lives but the lives of the rescuers who are likely needed to extract them after high tide.

...but I'm sure you know this which is why you tried to convince them to get off. I would make sure you let some authority know that their house is still occupied. Not sure who to contact, but it wouldbe nice to have that on file in case rescue helicopters needed to pull them out.

i know, trust me I know. Incredibly selfish when you think of the risk for a potential rescuer who would need to get them, not to mention three daughters calling each other in tears all evening.
    In the end, we can't change the behavior of people we love. Doesn't make me love them any less or any less terrified. I told Dad to text me every 15min and the minute he misses one I will be alerting authorities.
    Thanks for the hopes and prayers guys.

((((((((HHHUUUGGGSSS))))))))) and prayers for you and them. My dad would be that stubborn, but fortunately he lives in the Shenandoah Valley.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

hugs to you and prayers fr your parents!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Hugs and prayers to you. Hopefully they will be able to stay in touch and keep you updated!

Oh Lordy. I am a big reader of weather stories, hurricane novels, stuff like that. Used to watch those specials on the Weather channel a lot too. Sending LOTS of jingles your parents' way. They'll need 'em.

Jingles for you too. I know you must be at your wits' end but they are there and you aren't, try not to exhaust yourself now and get prepared for the real hard work after the storm passes. They'll have to be located and brought out, even the best case will find them without much but the clothes on their backs for a while, start penciling out your plan of action and once that's done try to get some rest. {hugs}
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

oh sh!t i'd be terrified too. and pissed as hell.
    massive safety jingles for them, and gazillions of comfort jingles for you.

Big jingles heading your way!!

Any updates?

they're ok. they watched the water climb up the basement stairwell step by step until it stopped at the 2nd to last step and then the tide turned. Still flooded and will be for awhile, but last night's high tide would have been the worst of it. Their basement was just full of stuff, so we have a massive cleanup ahead of us. I already had plane tickets to go out there in mid-Nov, will have to see if I can change them. As of last night there were boats all over their backyard, don't know what daylight will show. They have a generator that was completely underwater for hours, and amazingly started right up this AM.
    What a scary night. I'm still angry at them and during the cleanup they'll get the honor of pickup up the stinkiest stuff.

6 members found this post helpful.

BUMP?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    they're ok. they watched the water climb up the basement stairwell step by step until it stopped at the 2nd to last step and then the tide turned. Still flooded and will be for awhile, but last night's high tide would have been the worst of it. Their basement was just full of stuff, so we have a massive cleanup ahead of us. I already had plane tickets to go out there in mid-Nov, will have to see if I can change them. As of last night there were boats all over their backyard, don't know what daylight will show. They have a generator that was completely underwater for hours, and amazingly started right up this AM.
    What a scary night. I'm still angry at them and during the cleanup they'll get the honor of pickup up the stinkiest stuff.
    good to hear!

and at least it was only the basement!

I think you can have some fun with this: recollect all the times they had to chew you out for doing something unwise and turn it back on them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Oh, whew! So glad to hear they're ok.

My sister and BIL have a place on LBI, and evacuated Saturday. Will probably not know how their place fared for a few days when they can get back down there.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes