The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who's a fan of anime?

How many COTHers out here enjoy watching anime and reading manga, I wonder?
    And what are your favorites?

I have to say, even thought i's a cliche Naruto and Bleach are among my favorites. Next comes Vampire Knight and FMA.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use to love Inuyasha so much Haven't seen it in a few years though.

Haha, even though I found the plot a little boring, I must confess I was a fan of Sesshoumaru

Me! I'm more of a manga fan than anime.

Of course the best is Miyazaki, if you can even consider his work anime since it's not really sereal, just movies. But if you've never seen anything by him you must go watch Nausica, Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro or and of course Spirited Away. And I also do like Howl's Moving Castle.

For manga, my all time favorite is Immortal Rain. Unfortunately you have to find the ending of the series on-line because they didn't publish the rest here in the US. :*(

I think it's definitely the best. Nausica was also a manga and very good, too. I also enjoyed Mars, A Far Off Place and Red River (or I think it's called the Antolian Story or something). And Full Metal Alchemist was really good.

I don't watch quite as much anime but I did enjoy Blood+ a lot. And FMA again. There are ones I'm forgetting.

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are great movies! I have not seen Immortal Rain but now I'll have to check it out.

Blood + was a good anime, I really enjoyed it Boy, that sure brings back memories...

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Haha, even though I found the plot a little boring, I must confess I was a fan of Sesshoumaru

Another Sesshomaru fangirl here!

I love anime, I watch a lot - rather used to, when Cartoon Network showed some late nights.
    Now, It's pretty much Pokemon, should I wake up early enough to catch it on Saturday mornings.

I have actually several odds and ends on DVD I grabbed from the bargain bin at Big Lots.

I really came to like several of those:
    Vampire Princess, The Scrapped Princess, Earthmaiden Arjuna.

I fell in love with from far Away, Dreamsaga and Fruits Baskets as manga.

Miazaki is a classic. I dearly love Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (as Manga, the movie only covers the fist 4 books though)

One of the most amazing movies - and creepiest at the same time - is Akira. Fantastic cinematography but a really weird story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Oh how could I forget Cowboy Beebop! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Shiaway View Post
    Oh how could I forget Cowboy Beebop! LOL
    LOL, right up there with Samurai Champloo...

they are both a victim of the programming change and I did not acquire them on DVD...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, right up there with Samurai Champloo...

they are both a victim of the programming change and I did not acquire them on DVD...
    Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo were the best! I still have Champloo saved on dvd somewhere

I love anime but sadly don't take the time to watch it much anymore!
    My all time Fav is Fullmetal Alchemist. But I've watched a lot of Elfen Lied, Death Note, Wolf's Rain, Last Exile....
    Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite movies.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I only watch the serious anime stuff like Ghost In The Shell or Akira. I don't watch the creepy pedobear anime or the kids stuff that revolves around selling toys/trading cards.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I was secretly into anime as a young teen, and still like it today.

Sailor Moon was my initiation, and from there my favorites were Gundam Wing A/C, Tenchi Muyo, anything on Toonami/Adult Swim, Inuyasha, and a few others I'm not remembering.

Thanks to Netflix I was able to watch the first hundred episodes or so of Bleach in subtitled, which I drastically prefer; I'm slowly working my way through the rest of Bleach via DVDs in the mail.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

I miss my anime....

I like the art work in most (heck, even something as weird as One Piece has it's charm once you get to know it)

A while back, I had the discussion with my mom and a friend of hers, how creepy and ugly anime was...I did not get to tell them about the iconography in the art/genre...you normally know exactly what character you are dealing with, just by looking at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    Thanks to Netflix I was able to watch the first hundred episodes or so of Bleach in subtitled, which I drastically prefer; I'm slowly working my way through the rest of Bleach via DVDs in the mail.
    Hooray for Netflix! I really can't stand dubs, I'd rather watch anime online than to watch it on TV dubbed. That reminds me, once I'm done the latest eps of Naruto, I need to catch up with Bleach!

Hooray for Netflix! I really can't stand dubs, I'd rather watch anime online than to watch it on TV dubbed. That reminds me, once I'm done the latest eps of Naruto, I need to catch up with Bleach!

not all dubs are as good as Inuyasha, that's for sure. Some I find annoying, but not all are bad. (David Kaye made one heck of a bad guy...you can't stop staring and listening.... )

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

WalMart is having an anime sale if you want anything on DVD and they even have some Blu-Ray stuff too. Many of the titles are what you guys are talking about.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    not all dubs are as good as Inuyasha, that's for sure. Some I find annoying, but not all are bad. (David Kaye made one heck of a bad guy...you can't stop staring and listening.... )
    The only dub I liked was from Final Fantasy - Crisis Core (not exactly an anime but playing the game is almost like being part of one). Then again, I looked for the main scene in Japanese on Youtube and OMG! So much better! You just can't beat Gackt's voice!

I absolutely agree, for some series. I like the english dubs for SM and GW A/C, and I loved the dubs for Inuyasha (except for the Final Act episodes, why could they not get Moneca Stori to return?! She's been the voice of Kagome for the entire series up to that point. Same with David Kaye no longer voicing Sesshoumaru. It makes fans mad!)

A big thing for me is that the dialogue and the humor gets taken out or changed when the english dubs are recorded, and I understand the reason for that, but most of the time the dubs are watered down to G or PG-13 versions. I prefer the more adult and raunchier Japanese

ETA: Remembered another one - Outlaw Star. I went through those DVDs via Netflix not too long ago. I prefer the english dub to the Japanese subtitles.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    I prefer the more adult and raunchier Japanese
    Hell yeah!

Oh, to the people who are responsible for dubbing Naruto: before you pick up the voice actors, make sure they know how to say the names of the characters properly