The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Easy (but Tasty) Hunt Meals

Our hunt requires that all members provide two post-hunt meals - one dinner after the Thursday night hunt and one breakfast after the Sunday morning hunt. This is my first full season as a member and I am not a cook, AT ALL. Any ideas for meals that are easy to make up in advance (although the club does have a kitchen for reheating and cooking less complex things)? I was thinking that crock pot dishes might make sense, but some members are vegetarian, so I need to provide options for all. Any suggestions/recipes are appreciated.
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Oh, I feel for you. It is too big a task for one person, so we would usually double up with another member and help each other. Ask what was popular in the past.

Bake up a ton of loaves, squares well in advance...and do all the shopping early.
    We would have to do them in the darndest places...on the banks of the Fraser River out of a truck, or at best, a camper...in an old barn where we have to bring electric cords and even light bulbs..it is usually raining, so tarps help...
    it was fun, but for me took a lot of planning. You are lucky to have an oven!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Shepherd's pie.
    They are perfect for "variations" ie add wine, or any veggies, or different meat.
    Basic theory remains the same.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...rds-Pie-240224
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Chili with meat and vegetarian style. Corn bread or french bread and a salad. Easily fixed ahead of time and reheated in your crock pot.

Soup and sandwich is easy and popular. There are lots of good meatless soups that can be warmed in the crockpot, and doing build-your-own sandwiches lets everyone get what they want.

Warm taco meat and beans with build-your-own tacos/taco salad is easy and popular, too.
    ---------------------------

All our members have to contribute to the hunt breakfast every hunt they ride at. One member almost always does the "build your own sandwiches" thing - and they're always one of the first things to go! =) She had pre-buttered bread, some sort of cold meat, a relish to go with it, lettuce, grated carrot, grated cheese, sometimes sliced tomatoes, - really whatever she has in the house at the time!

I have seen members serve these really quite good chicken pot pies from Costco. They were large with a lattice top and were so good I thought a caterer had made them. There is not a Costco near me, but if I lived near one I would not hesitate to serve these for a breakfast if you have access to a way to heat them. Buy and heat and serve with an easy bagged salad, pre-made fruit salad, cookies and drinks.

For the breakfast quiche is easy to prepare ahead, travels and reheats well. You can make a few varieties to suit almost everyone.

Don't forget the desserts! There are some breakfast casseroles you can make in the crockpot-check allrecipes.com .Add some muffins and you have a complete breakfast. Our local hunt does a
    1:00 breakfast that has small sandwiches already made up, big bowl of egg salad, a regular salad and some yummy desserts. Everyone loves the rum bundt cake! 600 calories burned at hunter pace, 1200 calories eaten at lunch -Hah!

We also have teams of 2-3 who are responsible for teas. I generally make a big beef stew with lots of veggies and a large salad. Easy to make and tastes great on a cold day.

If we had vegetarian members I'd make a veggie stew to go alongside.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

We all contribute food at a meal after every Hunt. Some of the easiest, best meals are:

Sandwiches: lunch meat, cheese, mustard, mayo on bread or wraps. Cut in 1/2 and pile on a plate.

Popcorn: microwave, extra butter and parmesan cheese.

Raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) with dip you find in the refrigerator section of the grocery store.

Shrimp cocktail.

Fried chicken.

Meat and cheese roll ups: lunch meat and a slice of provolone or american cheese, rolled up, held together with a toothpick
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

oooooh I feel for you. I can't boil water AND I hate even trying.

If I had to do this it would be catered by Costco

good luck!

Sweet potato and guyere cheese soup. Just had this for the first time two weeks ago and it was one of my favorite post hunt meals! Salad on the side and some rolls would be nice.

A crock pot of seasoned meat (easiest is some browned ground beef, flavored with Sazon Goya), another pot with sauteed veggies (squash, onion, peppers with more Sazon Goya is good). A bowl of shredded cheese, a bowl of shredded lettuce, a bowl of chopped tomotoes and a stack of warm tortillas. Everyone can make their own wrap. Just be sure to have plenty of napkins!

Or a big pot of a thick soup, like a cheddar & broccoli, with a basket of warm biscuits (poppin' fresh to the rescue!). Put out some sliced ham and some spicy/fruity jams & jellies, like hot pepper relish and cranberry pepper jam.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

One of the favorites at the hunt near here is crock pot pork barbeque, with a large side bowl of slaw.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Yup, I do the crock pot pork Barbeque. I also do the Sweet Potato Gruyere soup for the vegetarian crowd.

Some day I might try a vegetarian chili.

Anything you can put in a crock pot is best.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Sorry it took me so long to reply, my mom makes a delicious egg souffle that can be made the night before, or baked, frozen, and then reheated. Its also really easy to halve our double.

Egg Souffle

10 eggs well beaten
    Add 1/2 cups four
    1tsp. baking powder
    2 8oz cans diced chilis (my mom uses 1 mild &1 spicy, but you can decide how spicy you want it)
    1 pt. cottage cheese
    1 lb. cheddar cheese, grated

Mix all ingredients together & bake @ 350 for 30 minutes

My mom has a friend who adds sausage as well.

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Anything that includes southern style corn bread and local honey. Yum!!!!

SP - your mom's souffle sounds divine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Oh, I feel for you. It is too big a task for one person, so we would usually double up with another member and help each other. Ask what was popular in the past.

Bake up a ton of loaves, squares well in advance...and do all the shopping early.
    We would have to do them in the darndest places...on the banks of the Fraser River out of a truck, or at best, a camper...in an old barn where we have to bring electric cords and even light bulbs..it is usually raining, so tarps help...
    it was fun, but for me took a lot of planning. You are lucky to have an oven!
    Well I can reasonably agree with you.

OK, not to hijack but what if its a tailgate, the weather is going to be cold and you don't have access to a power source to use a crock pot? I love to cook and I have time to do so for our upcoming hunt... love some new ideas... Anyone?