The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talking teeth, false, implants, and Cuba

So I finally managed to drag my sorry arse to the dentist, and it wasn't much shock that everything on the top jaw got condemned notices, so out they come. There is no way on earth that they are doing all that with me totally conscious, so I'm off to the city to get as knocked out as I can and bye bye teeth.

So now we come to decisions...

Standard, take 'em out and throw then in the glass at night teeth?

Or

Have a bar put in fixed on implants, and have clip in and out teeth, much better bite power I understand, less chance of spitting the damn things out while trying to sit the unscheduled bucking fit at C.?

Or all on 4, state of the art whole upper set permanently set just like real teeth?

Option 1 is doable, least cost option, but wondering if I can cope with having that much stuff in my mouth.

Option 2 is expensive, not quite sure how much, still waiting for a quote.

Option 3, I think I would have to sell everything I own and some to afford to do that one.

More thoughts, Color, how white can I go, I've had horrible looking teeth for ever, can I go for Hollywood white and get away with it I wonder?

Dental Tourism
    , anyone done it? good stories, bad, advice?

Cuba......yeah this is a scary thought, a local farmer has a Cuban worker, he is saying we should go with him when he goes home and he will take us to a real Cuban dentist, where you can get an even better deal than by going to one of the official tourism clinics, would you even consider that one.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Um No. Are we even allowed to go to Cuba?

I'd rather do what my former father in law did... lock myself in the bathroom with a bottle of whiskey and a pair of pliers.

You may not be allowed, but us Canadians do have that freedom

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    You may not be allowed, but us Canadians do have that freedom
    Americans do too—my aunts went this year and a had a lovely time. Restrictions have been loosened and a number of tours are now approved by the feds.

Re: dental tourism, I know a few people who have had work done in San Miguel de Allende (Mexico). I've not had dental work done there, but it's definitely a beautiful place.

I have one implant / post. Like it a lot. But it was a two process procedure where I had to wait for the bone graft to heal before they could put in the post ( three months ) Then the post had to heal / become one with the bone, before they put the crown on. I can't see how they could do that in one visit. Although lowers are easier than uppers.
    They are crazy expensive!
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

They can now do an 'all on 4' solution, where they fit 4 implants and a whole arch of teeth all in one visit, but it is SPENDY, re mortgage your home type money, that isn't happening.

well, if you go super white on top, what about the bottom? I would totally get my ideal smile though if I were going fake. Why the heck not?

As for dental tourism...I dunno. I feel like out of all the procedures people go overseas for to get at a cheaper rate, dental work is probably one I would feel slightly more comfortable with (versus say a boob job or tummy tuck). Not sure I would choose Cuba though?

Medical tourism is a new trend. Going over the border to Mexico for dental work has been going on for a long time, however, with the drug cartel violence that might be a really bad idea. A friend used to go to Juarez for her dental work, and her dentist graduated from the University of Michigan dental school, so there are quality dentists there. If you go elsewhere for this you need to go where people have had a safe trip, good quality work, and a great outcome. Depending on what needs to be done, it might involve more than one trip.

Do you live near a dental school? Or could you travel to one? They do quality work, at reduced prices by residents supervised by very experienced dentists.

And don't go blindingly white with the teeth. Glow in the dark white doesn't look natural.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    And don't go blindingly white with the teeth. Glow in the dark white doesn't look natural.

Glow in the dark, hadn't thought of that, LOL, a way to find bay and black horses at night maybe

It is just a totally novel idea to think of having a color chart to pick your teeth from!

I will have to try actually smiling at a mirror, something I have avoided for years, see how much of the bottom teeth you actually see

Uh, having just read the NatGeo article on Cuba (suffice to say, professionals in all capacities aren't really highly motivated to perform well as their pay's crap and nothing there to buy with it anyway) I'd only suggest THAT option if you have something to pay them under the table really, really well. Cuba would not be my first choice. Mexico--well, I don't know if the cartel issues are bad EVERYWHERE. I know a couple people who go home to their families and they haven't been abducted or murdered yet.

Don't go screaming blinding white. It looks fake. Drives my mother (retired DDS) nuts to see the WHITE-white teeth in whitening product commercials, especially the heavy-duty treatments. She likes to point out that first, no one has pure white teeth naturally, and two, in the ads for the in-office treatments, a lot of the patient photos the edges of the teeth are becoming transparent from wearing down the enamel!

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyepaint View Post
    I have one implant / post. Like it a lot. But it was a two process procedure where I had to wait for the bone graft to heal before they could put in the post ( three months ) Then the post had to heal / become one with the bone, before they put the crown on. I can't see how they could do that in one visit. Although lowers are easier than uppers.
    They are crazy expensive!
    Good luck with whatever you choose.
    I cracked a tooth in a riding accident as a teen (imagine that!?!), and had an implant put in to fix it.

Yep – involved a bone graph, and a number of procedures.

13 years later – My body rejected the implant – and I had to replace it with a bridge (now damaging 3 good teeth to mount it). Plus, many insurance companies will not pay on anything having to do with an implant, which meant that the $3,700 bridge was an out of pocket expense (as it was replacing the implant).

I know not everyone has such complications – but I wish I went with the bridge from the start – I now have a $10,000 tooth for Pete’s sake!

KBC! It just hit me, weren't you involved in the Poop Boy discussion?? With the butt-rat nasty coworker?? The stinky pooping farter one?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Tha Ridge...are you suuure they went to Cuba? Restrictions were lightly lifted for Cuban Americans...but all Americans? I don't think so...

Cuba is the most amazing place on earth. I would trust those people with my life, and definitely their medical skills and operations. Did you watch the documentary SICKO? They take Americans to Cuba illegally for medical help.

Go for it, they will probably do it for free

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    KBC! It just hit me, weren't you involved in the Poop Boy discussion?? With the butt-rat nasty coworker?? The stinky pooping farter one?
    *Scratches head* Don't think it was me, nope, the only stinky pooping farter I have to deal with is the oldest dog.

I have been doing a lot of searching online, found lots of people who have had positive experiences, and one who had a poor one, and the costs are just stupid low it seems.

Hhhm. I might have to go look up the thread.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

There is a problem with over-whitening teeth that results in a bluish cast to them. I've only seen it with a couple of people, but it's really yucky to look at.

And remember, if you get conventional dentures you still have to go and get them relined occasionally, as the gums shrink so they fit well.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    That was a helluva good thread!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

FWIW, I've had pretty good luck with my top plate. I wish I would've gone a little whiter, it's noticeably in photos that my eye whites and teeth are vastly different. I'd go white, but not screaming glow in the dark white.
    Quarry Rat

I have one implant/post. As was mentioned crazy expensive but it's been 4 years and no problems. My BIL is having an implant done in Mexico. He's a retired medical malpractice attorney so I'm betting he's thoroughly checked things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Tha Ridge...are you suuure they went to Cuba? Restrictions were lightly lifted for Cuban Americans...but all Americans? I don't think so...

Cuba is the most amazing place on earth. I would trust those people with my life, and definitely their medical skills and operations. Did you watch the documentary SICKO? They take Americans to Cuba illegally for medical help.

Go for it, they will probably do it for free
    I know a whole group of students that visited last January. Very interesting trip and a true cultural shock. Beautiful landscape and some cool artwork, but nowhere I would go for any medical procedure.

You want to go somewhere where professionals are highly valued. Free market is great at forcing people to do their best to survive. It produces better work than a communist society. I would only do medical tourism to a first world country, like how Canadians occasionally come to USA for elective procedures.