The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gmail pop-up notifications: Argh!

Google must have pushed some new "features" a few weeks ago, because I am now getting little pop-up messages in the corner of my monitor when I get new email (If you're familiar with Outlook, that program has a similar feature).

I hate them and want them to go away. They slow down my computer when I'm waking it up from hibernation, But how do I turn it off? I went through my settings and didn't find anything relevant. Tried to open Gmail Help and it's taking its sweet old time loading, so I figured I'd come to the Fount Of All Knowledge.

(While we're at it, COTH can ditch those obnoxious pop ups on the bottom of the screen, hmmm'kay?)
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I haven't seen that, even with Chrome as my browser. Maybe my Ad Block is catching it.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I also have Gmail and haven't seen them...
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I haven't seen that, even with Chrome as my browser. Maybe my Ad Block is catching it.
    I must be in some sort of a test group. Lovely. I use Chrome as my browser, too.

I got into Help, and at least one other user is getting them as well, but there doesn't seem to be any insight on how to turn off this feature.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That only occurs when you have the Google software installed. That particular feature is part of the Google Toolbar and Google Messenger.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmm. Must have done that when I downloaded Chrome on this new computer. I'll see if there's a way to disable them through the software.

I do love Google, but sometimes I wish they'd provide more options on whether or not to use certain features.

Annoying feature in Chrome.

On the Gear icon, click Settings then the General tab. Scroll down to Desktop Settings. You should be able to disable the notification feature from there.

Well, here's the weirdness. I went to Desktop Settings and this feature is already turned off, but it keeps on coming through. I changed it to "Important messages only." We'll see what happens.