The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Buddy Roo, that is awfully early to be having night sweats, particularly severe ones. You might want to get some blood work done, including a CBC and thyroid, to make sure menopause is the cause of the night sweats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Oh yeah - I have ALWAYS resented having to spend good money on tampons! Last time I got some odd looks as I was putting them in my cart, because I was muttering, "look, you stupid uterus, I'm tired of spending money on you. You're never going to get a baby - haven't you figured that out after 30 years? Just stop already!"

AKB, I will get it checked out. For quite awhile I thought it was the lupus. It's hard to know WHAT is making you feel like poo when you have so many options and frankly at my age, I didn't think about peri menopause until I started seeing things line up on a timeline each month. Regardless of the cause, not being able to sleep through the night, having the night sweats, hot flashes, etc? IT SUCKS no matter what the cause! I feel for anyone going through that. I often wish for a sauna (at night when I'm freezing and wet) or a snowbank (during the day when I am roasting!)

The guys at work make fun of me because I swear to God I give off heat during the day at times and turn on the AC in my office when it's not exactly warm out.

I hear this is "normal".
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

You can get checked out after you get settled here. Springfield has many many many doctors to choose from because they have quite a few office complexes occupied almost entirely by medical professionals and their facilities. One of the few perks of living in Springfield. Don't like your Dentist? Try the one across from the one you're using or the one two doors down or the one on the other side of the street or the one on the opposite side of the third floor in the building next to the gas station on the other side of the road.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

My full blown symptoms started at age 53 and they were miserable. I am just now getting to the end of it at age 58. I tried the HRT's but they kind of freaked me out. I have to say that my menopause issues were probably made worse by the fact that I drink wine. I don't recommend drinking while going through it. It makes the hot flashes WAY worse; which give rise to insomnia and a myriad of other problems. I tried over the counter Estroven at one point and it did help but you have to be RELIGIOUS about taking it. (It doesn't work for everyone). If I had it to do over again (God forbid) I would definitely go for the HRTs.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    My full blown symptoms started at age 53 and they were miserable. I am just now getting to the end of it at age 58. I tried the HRT's but they kind of freaked me out. I have to say that my menopause issues were probably made worse by the fact that I drink wine. I don't recommend drinking while going through it. It makes the hot flashes WAY worse; which give rise to insomnia and a myriad of other problems. I tried over the counter Estroven at one point and it did help but you have to be RELIGIOUS about taking it. (It doesn't work for everyone). If I had it to do over again (God forbid) I would definitely go for the HRTs.
    I have a friend that had such a terrible time that she was becoming suicidal.
    At that time, HRT was in the news with all kinds of scary warnings, so she didn't want to go on that, but finally did.
    She was so glad, as for her that was truly life saving.
    She took HRT for three years, then tapered off for two more and has been fine without now for 15+ years.

If someone needs medicating, do give it a try.
    If you have serious symptoms, medication is indicated and safe for that when used properly.

For those not there yet, don't worry, I would say many women going naturally thru menopause do fine with little discomfort.
    Those that have a total hysterectomy, they may need HRT for a while, if they have serious symptoms.

So true that everyone is different!
    I was an menopause over-acheiver. Started the month I turned 40, was completely done at 42. I'm 53 now, and just within the last 3 years I get warm while sleeping. Not hot flashes, just warm all night. My biggest complaint was the sleep disruption. My ob/gyn prescribed 1 progesterone at bedtime just a few weeks ago and I am sleeping better, and don't get as warm. Can't take any estrogen due to family history of breast cancer.
    I would recommend not taking anything unless it becomes severe, and then as little as possible for as short as possible.
    I am also taking extra iodine 3.25mg/day for thyroid support, per the ob/gyn. Be sure to take that calcium and exercise too!
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

I started at 36 done by 40 and am now 52. My mother and sister went through it in their 50's. No idea why mine was so early but it sure has been nice. The only thing I hate is the no libido thing,as others have mentioned. Really wish I could get it back. Every doctor I have gone to and ask to have my hormones checked they always say, why, your in menopause. Don't quite understand that. The other thing is I positively cannot drink alcohol in the summer because it causes me to flash like crazy. Can and do drink it in the winter just to warm up since my house is so freaken freezing. See there is a good thing about it.

ok, these horror stories are bad enough. But NO WINE????? Are you freaking kidding me? That's just so wrong and unfair.