The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you do for extra income?

I have a full time job that pays my bills and contributes to the household, plus a part time (not paid) job as a tech/office manager for my veterinarian SO (money is reinvested in the business, which ultimately benefits us both). I'm also back in school full time.

Between jobs, school, and horses I don't have a lot of free time, but I would like to find a way to earn a little extra on the side that I could completely dedicate to horses. Unfortunately for me I can't clean stalls/feed/turnout at any of the local barns because it doesn't work with my job schedule and I can't give lessons because I don't have a suitable lesson horse.

I'm open to ideas, both horsey and non-horsey. What do you do to earn some extra money?
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
    Cowboy saying

You may want to expand your search for work to other than horses.

I know some that make very good extra money, for what they tell me, waiting tables part time.
    They use that money to go on the road competing with their horses.

They can pick the hours and days and times they want to work every week.

I do some extra computer-based freelance work on O Desk. www.odesk.com Keep in mind this is a global service, so many of the jobs will offer extremely low pay by US standards. If you are selective about the gigs you apply to, however, you can do okay. Some of the tasks I've done for contractors are reading books and writing Amazon reviews on them, writing product descriptions for use on websites, and a couple of articles about dogs. O Desk is certainly not a way to get rich, but it's helped me keep gas in my car's tank full during the time where gas prices spiked so badly.

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a (mostly unwarranted) money freakout one day and took to Craigslist. Around here that's a very legitimate way to find jobs, but I'm not sure if that's the case everywhere... Anyway, found a part-time gig that I can do from home that fit right into my background and schedule, and it's worked out great for a little extra spending money. It never hurts to browse the part time section and see what's there. You might find something that uses a random mix of skills that you just happen to have.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Hmm... something like that would fit in with my schedule. I've even thought about selling Avon, but I am not much of a makeup girl.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
    Cowboy saying

I've posted on Craigslist in the "jobs wanted" and numerous times found exactly the part time hours I needed at the rate of pay I requested. It works. And you can be honest - if you're only available til 2 months from now, you just say so and you still get work - without having to give 40% of the money to a temp agency. Obviously you have to use your brain. Ignore the work from home offers. Only respond to people writing you from an actual business e-mail that you can verify exists, with an actual office in your area.

I personally haul horses for extra money but I know that has a list of "reasons you don't want to do it" a mile long. I mostly haul polo ponies; you completely avoid the "omg Pookie bonked his head and has a 2 cm cut, I'm suing" people that way. YMMV, of course.

I have an ebay store selling vintage toys that I pick up at thrift stores/garage sales. I wouldn't call it easy, but it kept the lights on and critters fed when I was laid off for a year and a half recently. Now that I'm working I spend less time on it, but still sell 200-300 a week in toys. I do my listings on my laptop in the evening after work and barn while I watch tv. rememberswhen.us

I make soap and custom saddle pads! Perhaps you could do something crafty too?
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Someone I know sells "31" Products (totes, bags). I have no idea how much money she makes, but typically she sells them through parties at peoples' homes. I bought a tote from her for my riding stuff and I've been pleased with the products.

I've had a side business for many years which I thought I wanted to take full time, but now I'm not so sure based on the recent market conditions...so when the side business is slow, I pet sit and farm sit for extra money...I also have extra money coming through the side business which is kind of a bonus, but that helps me out alot too...

Now that I have my own farm though, I'm really wanting to make the extra stone cottage some type of business when I renovate it, but am still considering that idea...
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

CL worked for me and my busy schedule. I could go look at the PT/helpwanted/odds and ends and pick up a job raking a yard, helping unload a moving truck, helping haul junk out of a flooded basement, etc etc. It was cash, no major commitment, and if I had a free Saturday morning, easy enough for me to do.

I also worked PT as a dog food rep in pet stores. Paid pretty well because of my veterinary background and familiarity with the product.

Sounds like you already have a pretty full plate though. The CL thing might work better than something with a set schedule.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

You don't need a lesson horse to teach lessons.

Teach people on their own horses.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    You don't need a lesson horse to teach lessons.

Teach people on their own horses.
    But wouldn't one still need some sort of business liability insurance for this? The cost of that might very well outweigh any money earned.

I buy and sell on ebay. Do listings for people of tack and other items. Buy and clean or fix and re sell. Makes a bit and pays for gas.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Child care, dog sitting, and house watching are my ways of giving myself a bit of a cushion. House watching is the ultimate easy job but with security systems most people would rather pay to have someone drop by once a day to grab the mail instead of stay in the house.

Default mystery shopping

I'm telling you, last month, when I was trying to slow down because of my mom being sick, they came flooding in. I made $600. Made $400 in July and about $350 in august.
    go to Jobslinger.com and see what you think. Each one is tiny, but if you can get three in an area to make it worth your while, you will make money!
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    But wouldn't one still need some sort of business liability insurance for this? The cost of that might very well outweigh any money earned.
    Very often you have to spend a little money to make a little money. First you teach lessons where you are covered under the BO's policy, then you suck it up and buy a policy. Also, you do not HAVE TO have a liability policy. It is not actually The Law. Risky to not have one, and you may have some trouble getting permission to teach/ride in barns, but not actually illegal.

My policy which includes trailering insurance is $800 a YEAR and I make roughly double that every month with riding as my side job so it works out fine for me.