The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just do basic tough cuts of beef and pork that need the moist heat and long cooking. it always starts the same for me: brown the meat and while that is going, I cut up carrots and celery into pieces big enough to make a raft on the bottom of the pot, add hot water to cover, turn the pot on whatever setting I need then add the browned meat. Half way through I will add potatoes, sometimes rutabaga or parsnip, and then, just before I eat, will nuke some sprouts, peas or something, then have a nice hot meal. Other people will want to add onions and garlic, but I have a problem with them - allergicm can't eat them and certainly cannot handle them raw but I do add herbs to the mix and that is mostly what I have; did find that poultry seasoning goes nicely with pork, not so great with beef. Have also done beef shanks in tinned tomatoes and that, with proper seasoning, is great.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

DH just made pulled pork BBQ.

1 pork boneless picnic roast
    Spice rub that you like the looks of. DH uses the dry rub here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

He adds a dry pepper or a canned chipotle pepper, a liberal glug of wine or apple cider vingegar depending on taste, then cook on low for 6-7 hrs, high 4-5 hrs. Pull apart, then serve with some tangy coleslaw and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

The mods saved this great thread in the Favorites: Crock Pot Recipes for Nights When You Ride
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    DH just made pulled pork BBQ.

1 pork boneless picnic roast
    Spice rub that you like the looks of. DH uses the dry rub here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

He adds a dry pepper or a canned chipotle pepper, a liberal glug of wine or apple cider vingegar depending on taste, then cook on low for 6-7 hrs, high 4-5 hrs. Pull apart, then serve with some tangy coleslaw and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce.
    We do ours almost the same - dry rub (my DSO mixes up an awesome Cajun seasoning) - I sprinkle it on a cookie sheet, roll the meat around in it, and then 4 hours on high. Now the next step I do a little differently...pull the pork, toss it liberally with sauce (Ray's as well ) and then another hour to let the sauce really soak in. Yum!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I love this blog! http://www.mommyskitchen.net/p/recipe-index.html Lots of great ideas.

I've tried many of the recipes, and most of the crock pot recipes. Everything has been quite tasty so far!
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

I love just throwing together whatever I have available and coming up with something new and fun. For instance, yesterday I made what I'm calling Monster Mash (in honor of Halloween hehe). Beef chunks, sweet potato, onion, zucchini, chipotle flavored diced tomatoes, kidney beans and a little green pepper. It was pretty much everything I had that I needed to use up before it went bad, filled the crock pot to the brim, added water, and it came out delicious. Most of my soups/stews happen like that, it's pretty easy and foolproof.

Also try some beef stroganoff :-) Delicious and minimal ingredients. Allrecipes.com is your best friend :-)
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Lasagna. Just add the stuff in with dry noodles and cook for four hours.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!