The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Slow cooker ideas

I've had a slow cooker for a while now and rarely use it. Now it's getting colder, the idea of coming home to something that's already cooked is pretty appealing!

What do you cook in them? (I'm not a big fan of fish or seafood.)

Thank you!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have chili going in mine right now, and it smells soo good!
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I would love a recipe for chicken soup. All the soup starter pkgs in the stores have A LOT of sodium in them. Anyone have good soup recipes for slow cookers.

I use my cooker a lot. I put chicken in it all day with BBQ sauce, put pork chops in it. Its nice to have supper done when you get home around 8:00 p.m. from the barn every night.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I do a lot of chili... make a big pot at once and then I have several servings.

I recently did a Chicken Pot Pie type dish in it. Jambalya is easy, as is pot roast, pork loin or whole chicken/rabbit with veggies.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

you can pretty much cook anything and everything, actually. That is the beauty of a slow cooker!

My favorite thing to do in there is meat though. Because then I come home, have the meat done, and just have to create a side/vegetable.

Some of my go to things are short ribs (just salt and pepper to season, and then maybe a can of tomato sauce on top), pork shoulder (to make carnitas), chicken thighs, pot roast, corned beef, etc.

My easiest recipe is this:
    piece of meat or chicken + can of condensed mushroom soup + some kind of herb (rosemary, sage or thyme) + 1/2 can of water = yummy dinner

I'll also throw in some washed, unpeeled potatoes and a bag of frozen veggies.
    I'm not good at following recipes so this works for me!

I just cleaned mine up from yesterday's basic roast beef and vegetables.

Before that it was salsa chicken. (Layer chicken parts with your favorite chunky red salsa. Cook for about 4 hours. Debone and shred the meat, it's useful for all kinds of things -- tacos, casseroles, etc.

Next up is pinto beans and I'll cook cornbread to go with that.

I use it more in the summer... this time of year I really don't mind turning on the oven!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

If you are stuck for ideas, try buying a magazine like Canadian Living or Family Circle. There are even some magazines that only have slow cooker recipes. It happens to me all the time. I cannot seem to figure out, in the morning when I am putting it together, which meat+veg+spice that doesn't always taste exactly the same!

I just made a nice Italian summer chicken (substituted chicken for Italian sausage) and spicy carrot soup in the past couple of weeks.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Stews
    Pot roast
    Beans (just not red kidney beans, as they need to be cooked at a higher temperature)
    Pork shoulder in BBQ sauce for pulled pork

I find that slow cookers work really well for tough cuts of meat that need long slow cooking to get tender. I also find it's a waste to put most herbs and flavorings in at first. They don't survive the extended heat treatment. I put them in 30-60 minutes before I plan to serve.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/c...-3125-pts.html followed this recipe to the letter except instead of 2tbs chili powder I used 1/2 tps chili powder and 1/2 of cumin. I used 1 medium strength can chopped chilies.
    Soooo so delicious!!! I ate it for dinner 1 day and all lunches last week and am tempted to make it again for lunch this week especially as its finally getting cooler .
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    I would love a recipe for chicken soup. All the soup starter pkgs in the stores have A LOT of sodium in them. Anyone have good soup recipes for slow cookers.
    I suppose you could start with a low sodium chicken broth, but you have to cook the chicken meat anyway, and that will automatically make the broth for you -- then you can control the salt.

Chicken soup doesn't take long enough to need the slow cooker, and you need to be there to skim off the foam and watch that it's at the right temperature (simmer, not boil.)

My favorite slow cooker soup recipe is this 10-bean soup (preferably made with the 10-bean mix from Sprouts) http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...lti-bean-soup/ .

ETA: Here's a chicken soup recipe I came across today http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2...n-noodle-soup/

I love that she starts with a whole chicken, though honestly you really don't have to roast it first, it will cook (poach) just fine in the broth.
    Last edited by wsmoak; Oct. 30, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Thank you for the ideas!

I have a joint of beef in my fridge. How would you cook that? I think it's about a pound and it's boneless. Thanks!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Kookicat - not sure what cut you have there, but a truly easy way to treat beef in the crockpot is "Italian" Beef.

Just put your beef in the crock and pour over it a jar of pepperoncini peppers, complete with the brine from the jar.
    If you want to get fancy add a envelope of onion soup mix.
    Let the beef cook for 6-8h on Low then shred with 2 forks and serve over rice, noodles or in a sandwich.

The peppers get milder as they cook and the vinegar in the brine tenderizes the beef.
    If you don't like spicy at all use mild pepperoncini.

Are you sure your joint is just 1#?
    That seems pretty small for any recipe, so you might want to check it after 4h - if it's tender (pierceable all the way through with a fork) it's done.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

For that beef you've got:

CROCK POT FRENCH DIP
    4 pounds rump roast
    1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
    1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
    6 French rolls
    2 tablespoons butter
    Directions

Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.

Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I know it's a small joint- not sure exactly how much it weighs. I buy smaller ones because I'm on my own.

I'm not sure which one to try now!

Thank you. They both sound really tasty.

I just did my favorite short ribs in mine yesterday.

Broil the short ribs in the oven until they're browned (about 5-10 min). Take them out of the oven, and set them aside.

In a separate bowl, mix 1/4 cup of black bean and garlic sauce (from the Asian food section), 1/4 cup shallots, 3tbsp ground or minced ginger (the fresh kind), the juice and zest of 1 orange and 1/2 tsp of black pepper.

Toss the short ribs in the sauce and dump it all in the slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.

When the meat is done, you can spice it up with a minced jalapeƱo, or just leave it mild. Just skim the fat off the sauce before serving. This amount of sauce is enough for 4-5 lbs of short ribs.

Serve with steamed rice.

Enjoy!

http://www.sweettreatsmore.com/2012/...ken-chili.html

I just made this last week and it was amazing! The chicken got really tender and the ingredients were simple. I added some fresh chopped onions instead of onion powder and it was quite tasty.

http://www.slowcookerfromscratch.com/

Lots of great recipes here!
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

Quote Originally Posted by K~2 View Post
    http://www.slowcookerfromscratch.com/

Lots of great recipes here!
    Ooh, fantastic. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    For that beef you've got:

CROCK POT FRENCH DIP
    4 pounds rump roast
    1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
    1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
    6 French rolls
    2 tablespoons butter
    Directions

Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.

Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping.
    I've done this one. I'd add an extra can of onion soup perhaps.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.