The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Default Dog Sledding/Sled dog Racing...

Hey... since posting the video of Sebastian Schnuelle on Manydogs' thread about no dogs in the living room, I started wondering...

has anyone on here been involved with sled dogs??

I have wanted to get involved since I was a little kid. Have a whole freakin' library of magazines, books and videos, and I've decided that the next move I make will be somewhere I can *finally* get some actual hands-on experience.

I joke it's because I grew up in harness racing, and THIS is harness racing times 6 (or 8, or 14!) LOL!!

Heck I've even eyeballed the corgis wondering if I could get THEM a dryland cart, but then I realized that would probably be a Very. Bad. Idea. (although so very, very funny at the same time)

But a girl can dream right? :-)

So.. anyone... done/do it?
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

I love Sebastian, he's my favorite racer. I love the video of him and Skunk from 2011, have you seen that one?

My Mom ran sled dogs before I was born. I've been stalking the Iditarod website during the race the last few years. If I could lead two lives, one would involve horses/farm animals (which is my current life) and one would involve dogsledding. Unfortunately the typical dogs used for dogsledding aren't a good fit on a farm, (with cats/kittens/chickens/etc).

I have toyed around the idea of someday in the distant future maybe making up a team of Collies.... wouldn't be the fastest team but could be fun and would fit in on the farm too. My Mom remembers having watched a team of Irish Setters, (and also a team of Coonhounds!) compete.
    Last edited by 1sock; Oct. 29, 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: redundant grammar
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Hehe! He's awesome! My vet works the Iditarod every year and she brought me back his autograph last year.. I guess his response was... she wants my WHAT?!?! Ok... :-) Skunk is *definitely* racing royalty!

I've always wanted to do sprint racing! I'm too much of a wimp to even THINK about daydreaming of the long-distance stuff!

Hey, no sweat on the collies! Don't forget, there was that guy ran the Iditarod every year with the standard POODLES! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by propspony View Post
    Don't forget, there was that guy ran the Iditarod every year with the standard POODLES! :-D
    My goal for this winter is to teach my standard poodles to run as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    My goal for this winter is to teach my standard poodles to run as a team.
    I think it's a good plan! ;-)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PGvSoaafXi...m-iditarod.png

I've gone ski jouring a number of times. I've done it with 2 of the dogs I've owned. I have a friend that has a sled dog pack and I have ski joured behind some of his dogs- who are crazy strong. It is a blast! I've never been on a sled though. Maybe start with ski jouring?

A team of Standard Poodles would be pretty awesome!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Quote Originally Posted by 1sock View Post
    A team of Standard Poodles would be pretty awesome!
    There is a really great book called "My Lead Dog was a Lesbian" where the guy says his only goal was to finish AHEAD of the poodle team in the Iditarod. LOL! It's by Brian O'Donoghue and it's definitely worth getting out of the library. :-D

I always wanted to hook up a bunch of Shiba Inus, but all they would do is fight each other instead of run - even though running AWAY is their forte.
    Dog sledding is something I want to try one day. I like to read Karen Ramstead's blog. She's the one who runs the Iditarod with only Siberians.
    You are what you dare.

I have not, though I've been thinking of getting a harness and shafts to setup a kid's wagon for the BC/Boxer/Husky mix to pull the ancient and arthritic ACD mix around in. It would accomplish two things at once...get the young dog some additional exercise (she does like to pull) and get the old dog who can barely walk around to sight see more.

Where do you live, I see you have lots of rocks . Are you in New England? I met some really nice folks from a group called "Boston Snow Dogs" out in the woods a few weeks ago...they were mushing their dogs with bicycles. Very friendly folks and not strictly sled dog breeds, though there were plenty of Huskies.

I *wish* I were in New England. Lived in Maine when I was a little kid and it was the BEST place I've ever been! LOVED every minute of it! Sadly I live in Vegas which is about as anti-New England as you can get. Really hoping to figure out a way to move in the next few years though.

4-martini. I would love to go skijouring, except here it would have to be rollerblade-skijouring, and I have no doubt that I. would. KILL. Myself. I am *such* a klutz. LOL! But it looks like so much fun...

How do you steer the whack jobs?

No offense, but as I understand it winning dogs (like so many other great athletes) aren't known for their tractability.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I actually bought a "dog scooter" a few weeks ago (sort of the cheap version of the "dryland musher's rig"). I hitched up my two dogs last saturday and went for a short spin, and returned alive. Good thing no one was watching- we'd spend 15 minutes getting it together, then get in a good 2 minutes of solid whizzing along as a unit, and then something would happen and we'd start over getting organized again. But those good minutes of whizzing were awesome. Hopefully we'll get better. You go really fast when deer are sighted up ahead...

One place I lived someone would go mushing on the x-c ski trails on a kid's plastic sled drawn by a team of toy poodles. Yes, the little tiny ones. Tearing along barking in excitement.

I have not done pulling or racing myself, but this spring I went to an Audubon Society Snowflake Festival this spring where I got to meet a retired Iditarod dog. One of my friends involved in Huskey rescue had two of her dogs there and she does skijoring with them. It looked like a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by propspony View Post
    Hey... since posting the video of Sebastian Schnuelle on Manydogs' thread about no dogs in the living room, I started wondering..
    Link? PM me if OT day closes, please. I tried searching multiple times but no luck. I'm having no luck with any searches in the new forum format.

Thanks!

This is my idea of the perfect house. Wall to wall dog carpet! :-)
    Sebastian Schnuelle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TInT-...fQbWPmVUSeZbQg

Sebastian and Skunk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysaDeYrRj1I

"This is Skunk. She looks like a skunk. She certainly smells like a skunk." ROFL! I Love Skunk!