The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canter cutie?

Anyone care to offer an assessment on this pretty girl? I'm trying to develop my eye for conformation, and I can't be sure if I'm just being dazzled by the chrome here. She sure is cute.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=296

I'm not an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I don't love her. She seems long in the back and over at the knee. She might also be somewhat cow hocked, but it's hard to tell from this angle.

She IS very cute. What discipline (and level) do you intend for her?
    I like her head, neck, shoulder. Looks like she's a little over at the knee, but might be the angle. Not a fan of her long pasterns in front-- not sure how that interacts with being over at the knee--probably not a great combo for the suspensories if she'll be in heavy work. A bit post legged behind.
    These things taken together I might question long-term soundness for a higher level jumping career, but I don't see anything that stops me in my tracks for a "normal" all-around english riding horse. And she is cute and sounds like a sweet temperment.

It's hard to tell from the angle, but she might be "goose" rumped... a steep slope from the point of her croup to the dock of her tail. While not technically a conformational flaw, horses with steeply sloping croups tend to have less power in their hindends. (not enough "engine" for higher-level work, in other words) Plus, it also looks like her croup is higher than her withers. If that truly is the case, it will be very hard to get her to lighten her frontend and rock back on her hocks. I agree her back legs look post-legged; which will also make it harder for her to collect up underneath and really use her hindend.

I agree she does look a bit bench-kneed, but a lot of old school jumper people looked for that as an indicator for good jumping ability. Far better to be over at the knees than behind, and at least she's not tied in below the knee. Without picking her apart, she is a cute horse. Just think of what you would like to achieve with her and keep in mind what problems may pop up or limit your progress because of any flaws.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    I'm not an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I don't love her. She seems long in the back and over at the knee. She might also be somewhat cow hocked, but it's hard to tell from this angle.
    Ditto.

Hmmm, I like her. She is not stood up well for conformation pictures and I think if she were you would see that her legs are straight, not over at the knee. She's a bit higher behind, but she's only three and her body will change, exactly how is always hard to predict. Also, I've seen quite a few horses who are uphill movers who are slightly higher behind when stood up.

I think that if you like her you should go and see her in person. Watching her move is most important. I think she's lovely and worth a trip to the track.

RearRush, can you explain what you mean by tied in below the knee? that's one of those things I hear about but can't really picture what it is /does to their way of going

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    RearRush, can you explain what you mean by tied in below the knee? that's one of those things I hear about but can't really picture what it is /does to their way of going
    Here's a site that gives a quick overview of front leg conformation faults.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I really think she is cute. She is a bit post-legged behind.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Hmmm, I like her. She is not stood up well for conformation pictures and I think if she were you would see that her legs are straight, not over at the knee. She's a bit higher behind, but she's only three and her body will change, exactly how is always hard to predict. Also, I've seen quite a few horses who are uphill movers who are slightly higher behind when stood up.

I think that if you like her you should go and see her in person. Watching her move is most important. I think she's lovely and worth a trip to the track.
    The add says she is 5..

To me she actually appears to have her butt tucked and her tail clamped as if in fact she just had her sheet removed and she's chilly; as for the rest of her she's
    as nice as many I've seen just could use some weight and some riding muscle. Pleasant eye to her too; maybe call the trainer and ask for some additional images of her if she's some distance from you. Can't hurt to ask.. What would you plan as a next career for her?
    Last edited by Cayusepapoose; Oct. 29, 2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: question

Just looked her up and for 28 starts her legs look great and as well her feet look like she's cared about. Sometimes too; the way a sock is marked on a leg can throw your eye off of what's right or wrong. I think I'd call about her if you're
    serious.

I'd go see her . As one who takes listings for CANTER I always tell people that they should really just go see the horse in person - that way you can spend time really checking them out. Taking pictures of these horses is not as easy as it sounds - trust me on that! She is super cute and a real looker. I believe she is still available - we try to update our site as best we can (when we hear someone has told us a horse has sold we update our site as soon as possible and we do updates on Facebook too). Racing ends this Saturday - was supposed to be tomorrow but racing was cancelled yesterday so they are running those races on Saturday instead. Horses have to be off the track by Wednesday November 14th (last I heard) but many will leave before then to head to other tracks so time is running out.

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I think Big Grey hunter forgot to attach a link, and I don't know off-hand where a good website would be to link to, explaining leg conformation. It actually helps to start down at the fetlock and go up. You want the tendons on the back of the cannon bone to go straight up into the back of the knee. If it appears that the tendons "dip in" or slant inwards, and the back of the knee seems to really stick out, then a horse is called tied-in below the knee. This type of fault can predispose the horse to tendon issues. The mare you posted a link to is not tied in, which is good. Start looking at other pics of horses and you'll begin to notice the differences. Hope this helps!

ETA: I went to the actual page with all the listings, including your mare in question. Look at the mare Dollhouse Cat-- she's really tied in below the knee. But don't confuse this with a bowed tendon, such as on the horse listed as "Moose" (who is also tight below the knee).
    Last edited by Real Rush; Oct. 30, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add more info
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like her! I don't think she is tied in at all; I think the way her RF leg is positioned makes it appear that way. She is adorable with a kind eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayusepapoose View Post
    Just looked her up and for 28 starts her legs look great and as well her feet look like she's cared about. Sometimes too; the way a sock is marked on a leg can throw your eye off of what's right or wrong. I think I'd call about her if you're
    serious.
    This^. For dressage she may have upper level issues (since she appears to be built down-hill) but I bet she would make a nice jumper. She certainly appears to have a kind eye and good enough confirmation to warrant a further "look".
    Sandy in Fla.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Thumbs up

I think she's very nice, still some growing up and filling out to do but definitely a solid sort of prospect. If she was in Ontario I'd make the trip to see her in person. Unfortunately almost all the stuff I've seen coming off the track up here so far is small, weedy, with cannon bones like pencils and curby hocks.
    Last edited by littlecreek; Oct. 30, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling

I like her!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

She IS very cute. What discipline (and level) do you intend for her?
    I like her head, neck, shoulder. Looks like she's a little over at the knee, but might be the angle. Not a fan of her long pasterns in front-- not sure how that interacts with being over at the knee--probably not a great combo for the suspensories if she'll be in heavy work. A bit post legged behind.
    These things taken together I might question long-term soundness for a higher level jumping career, but I don't see anything that stops me in my tracks for a "normal" all-around english riding horse. And she is cute and sounds like a sweet temperment.
    I'm feeling the same things-but there also seems to be a bit of an issue with the angle the photo is taken at-and she seems to be standing just a taaad funny, and with those two things coupled with the way her chrome is I'm wondering if it doesn't just make her look worse or funny and she's really better in person.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.