The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stop touching my kid!

I was LOL'ing over the Distracted Checkers (or crackers... depending on who you are.) and it made me think...

Why does everybody have to touch, goo-goo, or otherwise interrupt us when I'm out with DD?

Admittedly, she is the cutest thing, but it takes us an extra 20 minutes to get through the grocery store if we go during the weekday when all the old people are out. The weekends are even worse.

It starts out with "ooh, look at the baby!" and then it's all over but the crying. I've had to walk away from people while they're still touching her. I feel rude, but isn't it even more rude to start touching somebody else's child without asking the mother?

Everybody warned me about this when I was pregnant, but I never had anybody approach me to touch my belly, so I just laughed.

I'm not worried about germs, she comes with me to the barn on a daily basis, but it's a little annoying/alarming to turn back around from getting pasta off the shelf and see your child swarmed by strangers. When she was little I used to stick her in her sling thing and zip my coat up her, or we'd be swarmed by seemingly every woman in a 12 mile radius.

She doesn't help either, now that she's learned to wave and clap. I don't mind people saying hi to her, but it's getting a little insane when you're held up for 5 minutes at the gas station. She's not a trained monkey and I have stuff to do.

I'm done now. Carry on.
    Last edited by Superminion; Oct. 29, 2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

People really do that at stores? She must be a well behaved baby because most of the ones I see at the store are screaming bloody murder and people are trying to keep their distance while shooting daggers with their eyes. LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure what to say. But maybe your daughter has a gift that draws people in. Others just want to be near her. (That's how I am with puppies! Not to say that's the same...but I can't pass one without touching it! Haha). Look on the bright side, it may help her be a confident young woman some day. . And take it as a compliment...as you keep an eagle eye out.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

@OP: I totally understand where you are coming from. Even though I don't have kids, I have a lot of nieces and nephews that I babysit and the same kind of stuff happens. Even when I was a young teenager and had siblings even younger, I would have the same experiences.

Most of the time I thought it was funny, except when (as a teen) people would think my brother and I were the parents of the younger siblings.

I can probably make you feel a bit better by saying how much worse it could get. I have a sister who lives in China and whose kids have blond hair, blue eyes and have people following them like paparazzi wherever they go. It's even worse than one might expect because the kids speak fluent mandarin which drives the locals crazy! It was so bad one time when I was over there that one minute my three year old nephew was playing happily at the playground and next minute some woman comes out of nowhere, picks him up and runs off with him!!! No kidding!!! My nephew was kicking and screaming and I'm screaming too as I run after the woman. When I finally catch up to her she says (in english), oh I'm sorry, I wanted my boyfriend to take a picture of him. This kind of thing would happen all the time.

I think its an extension of the oh I dont know you, but look at your round pregnant belly, I think I'll walk up and touch you...dont be afraid, you dont know me, but I swear to God I'm ok...Could not stand it.

She is a really happy kid! She loves to go gorcery shopping (or anywhere, really) and look at everything. I just get a little annoyed when people push me out of the way so they can see/touch her.

When we lived in Hawaii people the Asian tourists were taking pictures of my sisters and I constantly because we all had blonde hair and blue eyes. I don't know how my Mom put up with it.

Perhaps I should just start sedating myself when we go out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I have no advice for you. My middle son has blond hair and blue eyes and people would go up to him when we were shopping to coo at him. They never even got to the touching phase, as he learned to speak early (1 1/2 or so) and he would say in a low voice either "Leave. me. alone." or "Get away from me." The strangers would reel back in shock that this tiny cute boy would say those things. I still smile about it. I don't know where he got the idea to say those things, my other two boys didn't, and he's actually the sweetest boy I have.

Dress her in a t-shirt with "I BITE!" on it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I love it! I'm so stealing that one.

God help anyone who comes up to my baby when she's born...

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I have no advice for you. My middle son has blond hair and blue eyes and people would go up to him when we were shopping to coo at him. They never even got to the touching phase, as he learned to speak early (1 1/2 or so) and he would say in a low voice either "Leave. me. alone." or "Get away from me." The strangers would reel back in shock that this tiny cute boy would say those things. I still smile about it. I don't know where he got the idea to say those things, my other two boys didn't, and he's actually the sweetest boy I have.
    LOL. My adorable baby girl's first words were no way. And she used them frequently. She didn't like strangers touching her either (and neither did I). The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, the five words never to say to me are: Don't, Won't, Can't, Always and Have-to.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My mother likes to tell the story of when I was three and a stranger patted me on my cute little blonde head. Apparently, I looked up and snarled "Don't touch me". My Mom said she almost died of embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I can probably make you feel a bit better by saying how much worse it could get. I have a sister who lives in China and whose kids have blond hair, blue eyes and have people following them like paparazzi wherever they go. It's even worse than one might expect because the kids speak fluent mandarin which drives the locals crazy! It was so bad one time when I was over there that one minute my three year old nephew was playing happily at the playground and next minute some woman comes out of nowhere, picks him up and runs off with him!!! No kidding!!! My nephew was kicking and screaming and I'm screaming too as I run after the woman. When I finally catch up to her she says (in english), oh I'm sorry, I wanted my boyfriend to take a picture of him. This kind of thing would happen all the time.
    Oh it happens here in the US too. Our daughter is black and we are white. We adopted her as an infant. She is beautiful, like really stunning, and she has a larger-than-life personality. We are a spectacle Everywhere We Go.

When she was a baby, people wanted to oooh and ahhh over her. It wasn't always positive. After awhile it started to feel rather intrusive at times.

We have a bio son now too, who is blonde and blue-eyed. We are quite the sideshow when we go out. Shouldn't be that way, but it is.

OP, your kid is gorgeous! And people love babies. Enjoy it now before she turns into a Terrible Twos Toddler and you're trying to keep the lid on the tantrum she's having in the middle of the kitchenwares aisle at Target.....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

OTOH my grandsom is in Switzerland. I was so miffed when nobody looked in the carriage and ooh'd and aaah'd t him, because to me he was the most beautiful baby in.the.world. It is just the way they are over there - restrained.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    @OP: Check your local ShopRite if they have those in your area. Mine was selling T-Shirts that said exactly that! No Joke! They were in Halloween colors...

I am firmly convinced that some people are just Baby People. They go all gaga over babies and toddlers. They just can't help themselves. My late mother was a Baby Person. She couldn't pass a baby without saying something and telling the parents what a precious little bundle they had and that they should treasure it always. It was embarrassing. The thing though, was that babies loved her too. She could go up to a screaming baby in Walmart, start talking to it and the baby would stop crying and start cooing at her. Toddlers she had never seen would call her Granny or Nana. For a time she worked in a church run day care. The kids she had in her room would still recognize her and call her Granny long after they had left the daycare.

Me, I'm not a baby person. I can appreciate a cute or well behaved baby. So if the OP was, say, behind me in the checkout line at Walmart, I might say something like "Oh, what a cutie or Isn't she precious or What a good baby" but I'm not about to go touching them. Most parents do like it if you complement their child. I don't even like touching babies I know all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I think its an extension of the oh I dont know you, but look at your round pregnant belly, I think I'll walk up and touch you...dont be afraid, you dont know me, but I swear to God I'm ok...Could not stand it.
    GAH I HATED that. I just can't understand why people want to do that. I wanted to get a shirt that said, "Yes, I'm pregnant and NO you can't touch my belly." I think I had a natural "touch me and you will DIE" vibe because people would come up to me and start to reach for my belly, take one look, and back off.

My son is now one and we get a lot of "oh my gosh he's so CUTE!" comments but no one has dared touch him yet. I think I give off the overprotective mama bear vibe.

Same thing happened to me around that age. Unfortunately for pushy adults, I was a shy and rather feral child and left serious teethmarks on more than one stranger's hand.
    ---------------------------

Believe it or not, I can still remember being touched like that as a kid. I was born with a VERY full, thick head of dark red hair and have blue eyes. People would stop my mom like crazy, and I can still remember it as a 5 year old, people coming up and just randomly touching my hair while they oohhh'd and ahhhh'd. Creepy, I tell you.

Luckily as I got older, people gradually stopped randomly touching me, but not completely, and they'd still stop me. Women at salons would gush over me frantically so my mom started coloring my hair. I finally died my hair black in high school for a while.

My daughter is almost two and frankly, I'm glad she has her dad's boring sandy blonde hair. Growing up with really red hair was pretty traumatic lol. It may be part of the reason I'm kind of quiet and standoffish in public. Luckily, that seems to cut down on the random people feeling up my kid. She encourages it by laughing, pointing, giggling, all that though. She's a ham and loves adults, people always comment on how happy she is.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post

Oh I can just imagine!! Blonde hair, blue eyes and they speak Mandarin! That would draw a crowd there. In Beijing at the Forbidden City I was made to pose with a family to have a picture taken with them. I'm not blonde or blue eyed though, just tall brunette with long hair and green eyes. Haha. I often wonder if I'm in some Chinese family's photo album of their trip to Beijing!

When I was a little kid, I would run up to complete strangers and start telling them my entire life story... gave my mom more than a few heart attacks I'm sure.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping