The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sandy

Just want to send Jingles for all the eventing/COTH family watching out for Sandy tonight. Prayers and Jingles! Stay safe friends and four legged family!!
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Thanks! So far just windy and rainy here near the coast, I think this is the best the day is going to be, talking about gusts up to 80 mph this afternoon! Horses are tucked in for the day, windows are boarded up, water tanks are full. Not much else to do but ride it out...

Thanks also. Over 5 in of rain already and worst is expected tonight. Horses don't understand why they aren't going out this am. I guess I have to think of it as free water schooling!

Jingles from the midwest also. It is the top story even on our news, it is hard to grasp how huge that storm is. Prayers and jingles to everyone being hit so hard.

One strange twist, they are calling for up to 20 foot waves in Chicago along Lake Michigan with 60 mph wind gusts. I thought it was a joke at first, but that is what they are now calling for through tues/wed.

Jingles to everyone riding out the storm, hope it's not too bad.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Our rain is already going sideways. Everyone is tucked in and only slightly grumpy...Be careful, people.......
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
    Jingles from the midwest also. It is the top story even on our news, it is hard to grasp how huge that storm is. Prayers and jingles to everyone being hit so hard.

One strange twist, they are calling for up to 20 foot waves in Chicago along Lake Michigan with 60 mph wind gusts. I thought it was a joke at first, but that is what they are now calling for through tues/wed.
    Weather Chanel showing potential power outages from the U.P. of Michigan all the way to Atlanta.

At least most of the leaves are down so hopefully the trees will survive the winds here.

so far it has been fine here in Unionville/Coatesville. In fact we are turning horses out for a bit while stalls are mucked this am. Nevertheless I am sooo grateful to have a generator so we have water if the power goes out.

Just starting to really pick up in NoVA. I'm ready for the extended power outage but worried about downed trees.

Stay safe all!

Here 3/10 mile from the Susquhanna blowing rain, power on/off all night and this AM.

Paddocks flooded wind picking up and rain sideways...

As prepared as can be...shed gutters cleaned, siding gone over, round balls tucked in every shed, 2 water troughs filled in every paddock w/ shed and horses.

Barn gutters cleaned windows doors made sure can't swing or come unlatched, loft drop door open to keep air flow moving up. Keep running down to top off bucked and have anything that doesn't have a hole filled in wash stall.

Got as much hay down from loft so I don't have to scramble in dark.....we lay down all the jump wing and brought in the flowers from ring....

Now loading up my 2 kindles and charging everything...got Mac N Cheese casserole....Best of Luck to everyone.

Jingles to all from across the pond. Bundle up and buckle down!
    Timothy, stop lurking

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Here 3/10 mile from the Susquhanna blowing rain, power on/off all night and this AM.

Paddocks flooded wind picking up and rain sideways...

As prepared as can be...shed gutters cleaned, siding gone over, round balls tucked in every shed, 2 water troughs filled in every paddock w/ shed and horses.

Barn gutters cleaned windows doors made sure can't swing or come unlatched, loft drop door open to keep air flow moving up. Keep running down to top off bucked and have anything that doesn't have a hole filled in wash stall.

Got as much hay down from loft so I don't have to scramble in dark.....we lay down all the jump wing and brought in the flowers from ring....

Now loading up my 2 kindles and charging everything...got Mac N Cheese casserole....Best of Luck to everyone.
    fingers crossed. Everything is very wet and wind picking up. Hoping no trees fall on anything important!!!!! I got out to the barn this morning...and the roads were not great getting home (I live about 10 minutes away)....already branches down and LOTS of water. My two boys that are out side riding the storm in their sheds have hay...and covered from head to hoof in Rambos. Others tucked happy in their stalls...and Ace tabs given to my girl who is on stall rest and a bit wound up. Hoping my trainer who lives there will not have too many issues tonight. I'm trying to NOT think about my own farm with its partially constructed barn....ugh. I think I have insurance.

At home, the one kitty who HAD to go out (he bolted out when the dogs were being let out)...was at the door and just let in, Don't think he will try to bolt out again As long as no tree hits the house, we should be fine.

Now trying to get as much business work done while I can while I have power. Unfortunate aspect of having an international practice....the deals are still trying to close and on some of the deals, I'm the only one being hit with this storm! But others are in a similar situation....NYC is shut down.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Oct. 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Wasn't too bad this morning, but wind and rain is picking up now. Horses got to go out this morning for a few hours. I live about 6 blocks from the town beach and there's already some flooding. Horses are all snuggled up tight in their stalls with the barn doors closed although my guy has a habit of sticking his head out his window to check it all out! We also brought all of the jump "Blocks", flowers, cones, barrels, and other various lightweight fence fillers and laid down the standards and rails. Don't want any flying missiles!

Stay safe everybody!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Horse freaked when he thought that I might lock him in, so he has his stall door open to his paddock. Locking him in in the past led to rearing and bucking in stall. So far, no trees down, but we have only a foreshadowing of the winds to come. Fingers crossed for everyone.

Good luck to everyone. Sounds like tonite and tomorrow will be the major wrath of the storm here.

Dreading the inevitable power outages but will be very happy if that is the worst thing that we deal with!

Jingling hard for everyone to ride this out safe and sound!!

Today is actually my day off, so I've been holed up in the house. I am feeding dinner tonight, though, since my fill in girl, understandably, is worried about coming back out! The worst thing about today has been my two cats, who are used to going out all day. Boredom has finally, FINALLY rendered them unconscious!

Lots of rain and the wind is really picking up.

Be safe everyone!!! Even the smallest storm can be horrible. We are all thinking about y'all down here!!!!
    No Worries!

Sending jingles from California everyone lands safely.
    Cloverfox Stables

Praying hard!!!! Hearing worst is coming and just worried sick!!!! Please stay safe all!!!

Several of us are ready if hay, feed, water is needed after! We have some bigger rigs at the ready for help! Let usknow! Anyone willing to help, let me know!
    Last edited by gold2012; Oct. 29, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

There is a weather thread on the Off topic forum as well.http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=373069