The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default RANT: Distracted Checkers

I was in Walmart, in line to check out, had moved to the front of the line so I was actively checking out, when suddenly there was . . .

A BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOUR customers behind me in line. My checking slowed down immediately to molasses in January speed while the checker coed and made baby talk long distance across the four intervening customers. I had to work mightily to get her attention to tell her I wanted money added to my Walmart card I use for gas. I then had to all but stuff money into her hand and beg her to take it. Every single step was done in slow motion. I believe I could have picked up my bags and left without paying, and she would have not noticed. This was not just one "cute baby" comment tossed across the line briefly long distance. From the time said kid appeared, that checker was completely in la la land, and her speed and efficiency were a total joke.

I pitied the three customers in between us as I finally walked away with my stuff. How many more wasted minutes as it got closer to that customer with baby? Even worse for the man behind her.

Disclaimer: I don't like babies. I realize there are people who think the appearance of a baby within 50 feet means that the schedules, deadlines, etc., of everybody else within those 50 feet are immediately irrelevant and in fact that all those other people should have realized that they had no business trying to do anything at all in that surrounding 50 feet besides fall at the altar of baby worship. I disagree.

That said, I really don't think it is unreasonable to expect that when somebody is WORKING at their JOB serving customers, that the customer in front of them should be their focus. Admiring a cute baby briefly while the particular customer you are serving right then has one, yeah, that's fine and good PR. But long distance across four customers, ignoring your current duties while the world screeches to a halt?

I don't care if the world's cutest baby, your SOB ex you just broke up with, or your best friend is farther down in your line. If you are WORKING your JOB at a store, your priority should be on providing efficient, pleasant service to ALL customers in the order in which they arrived.

Grrrrr.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't need a baby to distract my walmart checkers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Well, first off I read your title as "RANT: Distracted Crackers" and thought this was a racial type rant.

Why, oh why, did you not say something? I would have, nicely of course.

Maybe I am just outspoken. An outspoken cracker at that!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I said a few things to her then (she didn't hear most of them) and a few more to the feedback form at Walmart HQ. Maybe her boss can get her attention.

What is the racial significance of "crackers?" I thought crackers were little dried-up bread things that you eat with soup.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I said a few things to her then (she didn't hear most of them) and a few more to the feedback form at Walmart HQ. Maybe her boss can get her attention.

What is the racial significance of "crackers?" I thought crackers were little dried-up bread things that you eat with soup.

it's on par with the N word in some places, but not as bad as it does describes white folk...

I suppose you need to make a mental note to not frequent this gal's line anymore. (I got this one lady... one day I had forgotten my wallet at home. had to go back and retrieve it....I swear she does not like me since!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Well, first off I read your title as "RANT: Distracted Crackers" and thought this was a racial type rant.

And wasn't it you who said on another thread you wanted to move anywhere in the South!?! Living here, I say, pick your place carefully!

But back to the OP's post ....

I find a loud "HEY!" gets cashiers' attention. Doesn't make them like me, but I don't care. I don't want my ice cream to melt or my hot food to cool. It is sort of like a verbal jerk on the lead rope. "Hey! I'm here! Pay attention!"

I feel sorry for the cashier if she's so smitten with babies she doesn't realize how distracted she's become. But I agree that work is work.

And I am not a baby fan either. I don't trust either end. And if I had one, I would not want some stranger messing with him/her, especially if she's just had her hands all over strangers' money.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

it's on par with the N word in some places, but not as bad as it does describes white folk...

I suppose you need to make a mental note to not frequent this gal's line anymore. (I got this one lady... one day I had forgotten my wallet at home. had to go back and retrieve it....I swear she does not like me since!)
    Remember the White Trash Dressage thread from a few years back?

Ever heard of Cracker Dressage?

(No, me neither ... )
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I would have been piiiiiiisssssssed. Bad enough having to wait in line at Walmart. I am NOT a baby person either, I really just don't get it. If I had kids, I would never take them in public. For some reason, people think if you have a baby that you want random strangers to come up and talk to you and make idiots of themselves while you're in the middle of running errands or whatnot.

I was at Walmart last night, in a BAD mood already, and 2 girls got in line behind me. Talking excruciatingly loud and annoying. Young male checker was in the middle of my transaction when he overheard the girls talking about some loud thunder that morning. He completely stopped in the middle of ringing up my stuff to start telling the girls some stupid, long story about how the thunder was so loud it woke him up. OMG fascinating! Totally worth you not doing your job to hit on these girls after I've been waiting in line for 20 minutes! I could only glare at him because I would have screamed if I opened my mouth.

I find that if you cluck at them like you want them to pick up the trot, even non-horse people tend to get a move on . Probably to get away from the weird person clucking at them....

I can't help but wonder, do you have a lot of spare time? This upsets you so much that you write about it?
    Or, is your life so free of irritation in all other aspects that you find an inattentive wal mart checker a rant-worthy subject?

If so, count yourself lucky.

Put your feet up. have a glass of wine..

1 members found this post helpful.

Lightbulb

... Maybe it was HER baby someone brought in to visit?

It always tickles me when someone scolds the OP for complaining about something so "trivial" On an OT BB. Full of trivial info and complaints. Not like it took a lot of effort to post and share an annoyance!

I had one checker - a young guy - who never looked at me! He was looking off past me and to my right. And moving verrrry slowly. Run the item over the scanner without looking. No beep, try a couple more times then slowly examine and find the place to scan. Repeat. Repeat. In the "Speedy" checkout. Looking at friend? Girlfriend? IDK.
    The first time I just shook my head and moved on. When I made the mistake of using his checkout another day. He was at it again! I said Hi! loudly and kept asking inane questions and moving in the direction he was looking. Even pointedly turned to look too.. Didnt speed him up much but at least he was in the same time zone...

I gather you have never worked as a "checker" at a grocery. Nor as a "checker" at walmart.

I have. Walmart and some other places.

The "checkers" who really like a baby are NICE checkers, and love people and babies. Also they may personally know the person.

The "checkers" like me, do not give a flying flip about you, or your baby. Get through the line and try not to scam me or be a rude SOB.

People on the other side of the "checker" always want you to be the most nicest person in the world, as if they are the most wonderful person in the earth, despite the scam they are trying to pull.

I hate the one liners the "customers" say, oh i don't have a coupon can you give me a discount, oh such and such place has this item for so and so price can you give me a discount, oh that is not the price on the so and so, oh I left my money elsewhere, oh I have no idea why that card/ebt has no money on it I just put money on it right before I came here.

I think the most sad of customers - plural - are the ones who come in smelling like a drunk. Usually they are women, dressed to the total nines. All times of the day btw, mostly bright and early when the store opens. And the worst one was a known woman who works as a surgical nurse, she would come in TOTALLY drunk, make a huge rant (she chose a young teenage "checker" and tried to steal some cold tablets, and they have to be de magnitized or the alarm goes off, and that is what happened, she SCREAMED at the teenage girl, made her cry, because this nurse got caught), right in the middle of the day, then she came in the next morning with her gal pal like nothing had ever happened. Walmart. I knew she was a surgical nurse, her uniform said so, and one time at 4 in the afternoon, she was SO strong smelling I almost fell over. No, not chemicals. She was totally drunk. A local in a very small town of less than a few thousand people.

They are called cashiers. Not "checkers".

I think every person should have to work at walmart for 1-2 years. I think you may change your mind.

Also, when I worked in a major arts and crafts store, you were not allowed - store policy - to check any more than a certain number of people per hour. You were required to have no more than 15 customers per hour. Yeah, and you know how many I could get through. MANY. I got "written up" several times, and lectured about how the store wants you to take time and talk to them. I am very fast, very, but not rude. I want YOU there no longer than you have to be so pay and be on your way. Once again, the scammers. Also have your money ready, your card ready, your coupons ready. ALL is blamed on the cashier for the customer's lack of attention to detail. Nobody likes to wait for you the customer to remember their pin number or have the cashier to tell you to slide your card, no you need to push such and such button, or no we do not give cash back, or other STOOPID things *customers* do.

Walmart used to want their cashiers to ring the groceries as fast as possible and they kept a chart of all the cashiers. And btw I was up there on fastness. I had regular customers. Then they changed their policy because they want to have the best kindest sweetest cashiers to take their time now. So number of items per minute is not important. Spending time with the customer and being nice, and blah blah blah.

What really bugs me is when I am in line and I see this dilly dallying of the customers. Or that the cashier doesn't know how to run his/her machine or figure out the problem. I speak that because I have trained many people. Many. I seemed to be the one who had the most patience, and did the best job.

I am a double degree'd business person. Was an interesting time there. I learned alot.

Everybody seems to want something for nothing these days. Remember that.

Stepping off my rant soap box.

1 members found this post helpful.

I concur that the customer service industry can be awful and rough. I do hate that you seem to have vilified all and sundry as "scammers" or "drunks" though. Not kind and not acceptable.

And I used to be a bartender
    The Knotted Pony

I can totally appreciate this rant... I haven't had the experience of a checker coo-ing over a baby, but it infuriates me to NO end when said checker is carrying on conversations with their checking friends in the next line over, all while they're scanning my stuff... Not so much as a "hello" to me, or "thank you," or anything-- it's like me and my money are invisible.

(I DO make a point of going directly to the customer service desk and speaking with a manager whenever this happens...)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Living in a small town, this is rarely a problem for me anymore. The only stores are the small grocery and the Family Farm & Home. No mega stores.

Typically if someone isn't paying attention, it's two high school kids yapping and anyone in town is allowed to go "parental" and snap any kid in town back to reality with no harm or foul. LOL When the kids have been jabbering and completely not seen me, I just say "Hello ladies." And they look like they got caught with a hand in the cookie jar.

I haven't been in a Walmart for years!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

CNVH

Maybe if you go work as a part time cashier with no benefits, and a mixed up varying schedule, and you ask 5k people each day as a with a joyful loving smile and seem to act like "we" really care, you will change your view. Oh, and make sure you work the thanksgiving/christmas time of year. Oh so joyful! You will really learn the meaning of the season.

I do not want to be spoken to as a customer nowadays. Just scan it (or I will do it myself) and I want to be on my way fast and quick. I do not want a personal relationship with a cashier. That cashier is getting probably $7.50 with you for that amount of money? Cashiers can't be bouncy all day, with EACH customer. It is hard work. Don't forget, MANY of those cashiers have to stay after work and clean up what you the customer messed up. Those are called go-backs, and also it is called zoning. Got to keep your area perfectly straight, always look like you are doing something or somebody will complain. $7.50 think about it.

Managers do not get a $hit if you were not spoken to by the cashier. Quit wasting your time and theirs.

We have so many customers in our line, day after day, week after week, it gets really tiresome, and old.

Wear somebody else's shoes and I think you may change your mind. What you think it is their dream job to be there working?

rmh, you need a serious attitude check. I have walked in your shoes but in the restaurant business for 15+ years. Then I managed a customer care team of 12+ for VZW, I know exactly what my reps went through with difficult customers-and I took over the calls that were over the top, escalated, etc.

So you need to check yourself (pun intended). Ya aint the only one had to smile and act pleasant to everyone.

Go find a job where you don't have to speak to anyone with that foul attitude. And, business involves dealing politely and professionally with folks. You may need to figure that out soon
    The Knotted Pony

Buddyroo, our town is not that small but similar. I know the cashiers by sight if not name, know many of their parents. It's like a reunion going to the store.

I have always thought cashiering would be a hard, cranky-making job (at least at times, with certain customers), so go out of my way to be friendly, appreciative, and to wish them a good day or weekend when we're finished.

In a sort of heartwarming story (that starts off sad, true), a long-time cashier - 19 years!! - was fired from his job at the grocery the next town over. The public outcry here was impressive. His customers set up a facebook page (with a few thousand fans now), deluged the company, wrote letters to the editor. I don't think he has been rehired, but it was pretty cool to see so many people expressing gratitude, and I know it had to help him through his transition to whatever's next.

Whether or not you're "paying for their service," it costs nothing to extend a little bit of grace to a worn-out, tired, or even distracted cashier. Smile, ask how they're doing, thank them and wish them well. Sometimes we need to lead by example. ;-)
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Actually, I have worked at Walmart.

I don't want the checker (and yes, they even paged them as that at times at the Walmart I worked at when they needed more) to act like I'm the greatest person in the world, have a meaningful encounter, etc. Who cares? My goal in a store line is efficiency. I want out of there and on with my life every bit as much as some like you wish to get rid of me. I am polite but as efficient a customer as I can be. I don't throw fits at things like computer issues delaying checking out, etc. I have money ready. I invariably in loading my cart turn all heavy items with bar codes in a line for quick scanning (dozens of them have commented on that and thanked me). I cannot even count the cashiers I have had thank me for my patience when something unavoidable and truly beyond their control came up in a line.

My Dad also managed retail for decades. So yes, I'm quite aware that there are jerk customers out there. I wouldn't protest at all or claim inaccuracy if somebody started a thread on discourteous customers. But the fact of their existence does not mean that this cashier was not wrong in her handling of her job.