The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your quick, healthy, pack-lunch-for-work ideas

I need to go make some lunches for the week, but I don't wannnnnnna. (This does partially relate to my other post about trying not to eat my young. They have fried Momma's motivation circuits today.)

But, as soon as I leave this deliberate avoidance of acknowledging I do, in fact, have to work tomorrow, I'm going to go take some swai and pollock fish fillets, douse them in lemon juice and a tablespoon or so of olive oil, and sprinkle liberally with lemon pepper and salt. Makes a decent lean protein meal that is pretty tasty with a spring mix salad.

That said, I've had it several times this year and I'm bored. It'll work for tomorrow, but I need new ideas. Whatcha got?

(Other things I pack: tuna salad mixed w/light mayo, salt, and peperoncinis, eaten with sweet bell peppers; sliced apples and/or grapes dipped into a 50/50 mix of peanut butter and nonfat cream cheese; hummus with carrots; yogurt. Hey, sounds like I eat really healthily, right? Healthier than ever in my life, in fact. SO WHY THE HELL DID THE POST BABY WEIGHT STICK?

Hormones are jerks.)
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

I am a big fan of adding fat free ranch dressing (yes I live in the south) to tuna or chicken salad. I think it tastes great and cuts way down on the calories.
    I also use sliced pickles in a lot of things to add some flavor without a lot of calories.

The other day I had some left over BBQ Pork loin and it made the best sandwich combined with some ancient arugula from my CSA that had no idea what to do with. It was so good I made it two days in a row. Just slices of the left over pork loin. I usually do best when I bring leftovers. Homemade pizza is my favorite. Stir fry is also good as leftovers.

Good luck with the baby weight- it took a New Year's Resolution of training for a triathlon last year for me to get mine all off.

One of my favorite, surprisingly filling, things is called a 'monkey wrap' - a wrap with peanut butter, apple slices, raisins, and bananas - love the 'on-the-go'-ness of it for when I'm in/in-between classes - it's also not too messy to eat while taking notes during lecture!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I've been freezing small portions of soup and spaghetti and pot roast. It feels very decadent to eat warm 'dinner' food at work. And I'm losing weight by doing that and not buying food from the cafeteria.

This is another great recipe - it's very filling, I can eat as much as I want and it keeps me going all day:

http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2010/...alad-ever.html

Seriously, try it, you will dream of tasting it again

Cook a pot of brown rice on the weekend. Divvy it up and supplement with some lean protein like canned tuna. Throw on low cal Italian and some dill if you need to. I find if you throw enough seasonings like herbs in, anything tastes good.

Ooh, sounds good, all of these! Thank you.

BTW, my "baby" is nearly 3. Despite eating healthier than I have my entire life (although I confess I had a bowl of Cheerios for dinner--my tummy is cranky and I needed something bland), 10lbs remain stubborned locked on my midsection. (It didn't help that I had what was assumed to be H1N1 when I was 7mos preggers; my respiratory tract took over 2 years to recover. I'm guessing the steroids I was on were no help to anything metabolic.)

I'm giving up on changing my appearance and focusing more on healthy eating habits. I try to avoid overly processed, prepackaged foods and white starches for my lunch, though my breakfast is cereal and my dinner has something carb-y in it because I have to feed a carb-loving family.

Whoop, timer about to go off for the fish...
    SA Ferrana Moniet

Currently loving those low-calorie pumpkin flavored bagel thins with low fat cream cheese-- either pumpkin or cinnamon. Mmm!

I also love hummus wraps. I do a large flour tortilla, thin spread of hummus. Spring mix. Thinly sliced cucumbers. Drizzle of balsamic. If you prefer other veggies, it's easy to sub in/out whatever you have or like.

My favorite low cal lunch which I could eat EVERY day is black beans cooked with cilantro over white rice and liberal fresh salsa with jalepenos.

Now I'm huuuuuuungry!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Lauruffian View Post
    BTW, my "baby" is nearly 3. Despite eating healthier than I have my entire life (although I confess I had a bowl of Cheerios for dinner--my tummy is cranky and I needed something bland), 10lbs remain stubborned locked on my midsection. (It didn't help that I had what was assumed to be H1N1 when I was 7mos preggers; my respiratory tract took over 2 years to recover. I'm guessing the steroids I was on were no help to anything metabolic.)
    Mine was two when I did the resolution - so it took me a while too

We must have been pregnant about the same time- everyone was freaking out about H1N1. I'm so glad you're okay! I remember they got some vaccines at the office and told everyone they were opening the phone lines at 8AM on Monday and first 50 people that got through got one. It was crazy- like a radio give away contest - only for flu vaccine.

Try 'Bento' Japanese style lunches.

You can put a lot of stuff in there. Some can be done the night before. There are some useful containers you can use that are not from a specialty store.

I made some for my kid when he had band camp (but then his friends insisted on dragging him away for lunch...)

It's a bit of a challenge to start them, but they are real food, not an after thought as many brown bagged lunches....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Do you have access to a fridge/freezer at work?

One thing that worked well for me was to pack up my weeks' worth of lunches on Sunday and haul them in.

A filling and quick lunch for me is a boca burger with a little cheese. Takes two minutes tops to nuke. Protein. I like the spicy black bean burgers or the pizza burgers.

I also like to hard boil eggs on Sunday and have those handy.

WHile I know they're not everyone's fave, Lean Cuisine frozen meals are pretty good. I buy them on sale. THey are lower in sodium than most and they actually don't taste like crap.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    We must have been pregnant about the same time- everyone was freaking out about H1N1. I'm so glad you're okay! I remember they got some vaccines at the office and told everyone they were opening the phone lines at 8AM on Monday and first 50 people that got through got one. It was crazy- like a radio give away contest - only for flu vaccine.
    Yeah, in hindsight, it was a very, very scary thing to go through. I didn't realize how bad it was at the time. Even with the Tamiflu, I ran a low grade fever for over two weeks and wound up with a knock-you-on-your-ass bronchitis soon after. I didn't require hospitalization, just a doctor visit with breathing treatments and the like. After I had the baby, it got really ugly--that's when I started seeing the pulmonologist. He told me it would take about two years to recover--I didn't really believe him. But, it was two years almost to the day (with one ER visit inbetween for wicked bronchitis--for a while, *every*thing turned into bronchitis) when I saw him for the last time and he said my airways were finally clear.

The vaccine came out about two weeks after I got sick. But, I'm fine now, and baby boy is all good, so, cool.

Those Bento meals are COOL! I've got some Googling to do...
    SA Ferrana Moniet

Can you just cook extra for dinner? That is what I usually do. I only make about 3-4 meals per week, and then bring the leftovers for lunch.

Or if that bores you, I sometimes match of a big batch of *insert type of meat here* and then use it for various recipes. Like this week was ground beef. Cooked up a few pounds, had it last night with a little rice, tonight will probably be taco salad, and tomorrow may be chili.

And although you didn't ask for weight loss advice I just wanted to say do not fear the fat! You actually need fat in your diet to help your body function, and it will inevitably help you lose weight because it helps prevent sugar spikes, keeps you feeling fuller, longer and makes you feel more satisfied with what you're eating. Have some fat with every meal, and I actually avoid anything labeled "low" or "non fat" because what do food makers replace the fat with? SUGAR. Take out the fat and you take out the taste, so it has to be replaced with something else. And honestly, sugar is pretty much the devil if you want to lose weight! I incorporate a good amount of nuts, BACON, coconut and olive oil, avocados, etc into my daily diet. I also tend to cook fattier meats like chicken thighs versus breasts.

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    I've been freezing small portions of soup and spaghetti and pot roast. It feels very decadent to eat warm 'dinner' food at work. And I'm losing weight by doing that and not buying food from the cafeteria.

This is another great recipe - it's very filling, I can eat as much as I want and it keeps me going all day:

http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2010/...alad-ever.html

Seriously, try it, you will dream of tasting it again
    I have to try that! Sounds delish!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/