The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dear God, please give me the strength to not eat my young.

Amen.

AUGGHHHHHH
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

1 members found this post helpful.

Are they are ~2 years old or between 13 and 17?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Think happy thoughts. And, better living through pharmaceuticals.

As a middle school teacher, it constantly amazes me that more educators don't "go postal". There are days where it would be so, so tempting....
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Just remember to use ketchup!
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

I remember when my 3 year old daughter took the ashes in the fireplace and spread them on all of our WHITE furniture while I was napping with her baby brother one afternoon. I was on maternity leave and I woke up thinking the same thing....

So sorry, it gets better.

Right there with you.

My 13 month year old has figured out how to climb up on/get into/tip over EVERYTHING. Trying to figure out how to even fit in going to the bathroom at any point without him killing himself or breaking something.

Been a loooong day/week/month.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Mine's 4 1/2. Anyone want him?

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Right there with you.

My 13 month year old has figured out how to climb up on/get into/tip over EVERYTHING. Trying to figure out how to even fit in going to the bathroom at thing point without him killing himself or breaking something.

Been a loooong day/week/month.
    Crate training.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
    Mine's 4 1/2. Anyone want him?
    I do ! I just so love children, even when smearing ashes on white couches and chairs....

Calvincrowe, I'm a middle school teacher as well. It's so much easier when they go home at the end of the day.

My particular monster this day was our 6yro (though the nearly 3yro was not helping!). He was a COLOSSAL PAIN IN THE TUSH literally within 5min of waking up today.

We have a discipline chart (yeah, Mommy used to teach elementary school); he has 4 clips for the 4 house rules. Each time he breaks a rule, he gets a verbal warning, then the clip for that rule moves down a step to "caution," then to "time out," then ultimately the consequence jar (which has various unpleasantries in it). For the first time ever, he reached the consequence jar and mercifully chose the card within that ordered him to go to bed 15min early as a result. (Incidentally, the rule he keeps breaking today is respecting himself and others--good Lord, has he been. He moved the clip to caution literally about 5min after waking up for telling a blatant lie, then lying about the blatant lie.) He continued the nutbarness in other categories and progressed to time out for another rule, but since it's so late, chose to go to bed another 5min early. Fine with me. AUGH

The positives have been he has accepted the consequences each time (though there was some in-the-moment freakouts when I said I was moving the clip--particularly once it got to the consequence jar). He didn't try to push bedtime and was quite willing to follow through (though the time out earlier in the day was *thisclose* to being when he went to the consequence jar because he was being a goofy noise-making nutball during timeout...we restarted the timeout with a firm warning, and he was silent).

Toward bedtime, though, the nearly-3yro started kicking it in as well and earned a timeout for saying "shut up" (which is not at all tolerated in our house).

I gotta say, I really do like having the chart, though, because it takes some of the pressure and stress off of us parents. You break a rule, the clip is moved, you get that consequence, too effin' bad. I won't say it has silenced the frustrated loud voices we sometimes have resorted to, but I will say it has cut way, way down on everyone's frustration (and the adults' volume).

Now the two maniacs are in bed and I am enjoying complete silence in the house. Ahhhhh.
    SA Ferrana Moniet

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to pee peacefully again. My 8 month old is either screaming, eating something gross, sticking her finger up the cats butt, and/or pulling some sort of heavy inanimate object down on her head.
    Last edited by Superminion; Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Superminion, when my youngest was an infant, I literally would sit on the toilet and hold his hold-me-or-I'll-scream-hysterically self with one hand, and wipe my butt with the other. TMI, except as mothers, we know there really is no such thing (because to our *kids* there is no such thing as privacy.)

Hark, I hear the littlest kidlet yelling for daddy (who had to leave the house for an errand) now.

AWESOME.
    SA Ferrana Moniet

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I don't think I'm ever going to be able to pee peacefully again. My 8 month old is either screaming, eating something gross, sticking her finger up the cats butt, and/or pulling some sort of heavy inanimate object down on her head.
    It gets better. My two year old goes and gets our Lab and brings her into the bathroom if I try to pee so all three of us are in there now

Thank god our lab is an angel.

I cannot relate exactly as I am not a mom. But I'll tell you this. I think the reason they make kids so cute as infants is so that you're less likely to murder them later. Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to know my step girls as infants so when they DO pull a teenage stunt, I have to work really really hard to remember that I am not to kill them. That said, they have become pretty handy around the house as they've had to repaint things, fix door handles after slamming doors, take doors off hinges, scrape paint, stain deck, etc as punishment.

I have to say that my brothers and I were way worse though. Mwahahahaaaaa.

My then 3YO brother had an obsession with washing his hair in the toilet. My other younger brother liked to try to light fires. In the house. Under his bed.

They were handfuls.

I, of course, was a complete angel. Start to finish. And if you buy that, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

This is easy. Wait til you get the call "mom everyone is ok. I wrecked the car".
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nickers@dawn View Post
    Just remember to use ketchup!

and hot sauce!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    This is easy. Wait til you get the call "mom everyone is ok. I wrecked the car".
    This year. It starts this year for us. Kill me now.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Look, it could be worse. One of my professors used to make pipe bombs as a kid. His mother told me herself that she spent a lot of time back in the day making sure he didn't kill himself or someone else...

Then see the tractertrailer size dent, realize 3 feet ahead of that dent is your kid.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post

Ermahgerd. This is why I have no children!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.