The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NaNoWriMo?

So NaNoWriMo starts in three days...anybody else going to attempt it?

I've participated the last few years, but I've only "won" once. A novelist I am not.

I enjoy the process though, and it's good for my perfectionist brain to learn to let go and accept that what I'm writing is going to suck.

So who's with me this year? And what are you writing?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I think I am going to do it this year. It's been "on my list" for 4 years now but things kept popping up. This year? As of Nov 2nd I will be unemployed. I will have TIME! I won't get to start until the 5th, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I have a couple of ideas that have been bouncing around in my head this year. I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go though.

What have your experiences been like? Any tips? When you say you "won", what does that mean? I've never done the whole process so I don't know the ins and outs.

My friend wrote something a couple of years ago during NaNoWriMo and is in the process of trying to get it published now. It's quite good. We can dream, eh?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    So NaNoWriMo starts in three days...anybody else going to attempt it?

I've participated the last few years, but I've only "won" once. A novelist I am not.

I enjoy the process though, and it's good for my perfectionist brain to learn to let go and accept that what I'm writing is going to suck.

So who's with me this year? And what are you writing?
    YES! Let's keep each other going, I completely failed last year...being in South Africa may have had something to do with it though, lol. I think I got to 8,000 words in the first few days (it was a weekend and I was super bored) then burnt out/got distracted with life.

I halfway plotted this story last week (during my boringlecturefromhell at community college...shhh). Its about a women who is living in LA, then has a crisis at work (she is a pediatrician in the inner city and a child is killed directly after a visit to the dr's), and ultimately, after testifying and all that moves to the Outer Banks, NC to work in a tiny rural practice. While she is settling down in the OBX, the PD's in LA find the killer (haven't worked this part out in my head yet lol) and she is required to go back. She ultimately has to decide whether to stay in the OBX or move back to LA.

Its kinda a cheesy murder mystery haha....Obviously a very basic plotline, but that's kinda the point of NanoWriMo, right? Anyway, we'll see.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    What have your experiences been like? Any tips? When you say you "won", what does that mean? I've never done the whole process so I don't know the ins and outs.

My friend wrote something a couple of years ago during NaNoWriMo and is in the process of trying to get it published now. It's quite good. We can dream, eh?
    To "win", you just have to get to 50,000 words. Everyone who finishes is a winner.

Generally, it goes really well for me about the first 10,000 words, and then I kind of lose my way... It's fun though, and when you sign up you get e-mail "pep talks" weekly from famous authors.

The biggest obstacle I face is just writing. I am an over-thinker and it really bogs me down.

Definitely check out the website - it is very useful.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I tried once back in 2007 and failed miserably. I really want to try again. Tips for getting to 50,000 words? Just write and write and write? I'm worried about getting stuck and not being able to figure a way out, like writing my characters into some crazy situation without a plan. Do you spend a lot of time planning out the story beforehand?
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Wholehearted View Post
    I tried once back in 2007 and failed miserably. I really want to try again. Tips for getting to 50,000 words? Just write and write and write? I'm worried about getting stuck and not being able to figure a way out, like writing my characters into some crazy situation without a plan. Do you spend a lot of time planning out the story beforehand?
    This is my worry with my story. I spent a whole 2 hours while in class planning lol, so take from that what you will. I'll probably look at it again during class tomorrow, then be ready to start on Thursday.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

My 12 year old daughter signed up today-her English teacher wanted her to participate. I should do it, I used to love to write...now I spend all that writing energy on the internet, so sad.

When I was going to do this 4 years ago, I researched the process quite a bit.

Now obviously, I've done NOTHING so it's not like I'm an expert.

BUT...it seems to me that having a good outline of your plot and and of your characters helps.

My game plan is to generally approach it with a formula and fill in the blanks. The one idea that I've been playing with a lot is one about an engineering company that gets in tight with the oil companies doing the test sites and road design to support fracking. Then of course some shadiness ensues, but our hero starts putting things together and wants to protect the small communities in rural Ohio who are getting snowed into agreeing to plans that are based on falsified documents. Of course, someone at the oil company or engineering company or both don't appreciate this so there is a murder. Or two. And some other nefarious stuff. Which of course our hero has to live through, make right, blah blah. Erin Brokovich style I guess.

The other idea I've had for a few years involves a woman who runs a horse retirement facility and has foster kids. Basically started a program for at risk youth to work with these old retired critters. Told from the standpoint of a dog, the woman is dying and from different points of view (kids who have gone through her program, animals who live on the property, people in the community) her life story is told as people come back to help her through the end.

My last idea really needs some work. I keep dreaming about it but only remember a few things at a time when I wake up.

I think that the first one is the one I'll go with this year because I have it worked out more in my head as it's based on some real life stuff and I don't have to make THAT much up!

We shall see though.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I did it last year (along with all my sophomore students) but failed utterly. I am unemployed now, so I am trying to force myself to come up with a plan to do it again this year... that way I can say "I'm a writer" instead of "I'm unemployed" when people ask what I do. (;

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I am unemployed now, so I am trying to force myself to come up with a plan to do it again this year... that way I can say "I'm a writer" instead of "I'm unemployed" when people ask what I do. (;
    There was a short time when I was actually making my living freelance writing. When people asked what I did, I'd tell them that I was a freelance writer. They'd get this quizzical look on their face and then go, "Oh, so you're unemployed?"
    -George Morris

I did it last year, and finished! I plan on doing it again this year, though I'm a bit worried because I have less of an idea of the story... less plot line, than I did last year. I had a blast, though. We'll see - fingers crossed!
    The Equine Insider - Providing news, tips, product reviews, and a Small Business Barn to keep you up to date in the equine world.
    Follow us on Facebook.

I've taken part every year since 2004. Won (50k or more) every year but '04.

I have a couple of ideas for this year- I think I'm writing a sci-fi. No real plot yet, but I have the main character in mind. (I never really start with a plot- I start with a MC and a vague idea of the world. Works for me. )

I find it quite easy to reach 50k. 1700 words a day will get you there. This year, I'm planning on a 10k first day. (Did 7k last year, so it's within reach.)

The main thing is just to get the words down- even if it's awful, it's still more than you had when you started. (And you'll have a rough draft to work with if you want after Nov.)

Don't be afraid to motivate yourself with little treats- 1k words gets a cookie, for example. Or plan a reward for yourself that you only get if you hit 50k. (I might treat myself to a spa day this year if I hit my goal.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Does anyone know if there's a way to start a COTH group on NaNoWriMo's site? That way we can keep in touch, encourage each other, share excerpts, etc...when Off Topic Day closes?
    -George Morris

I tried last year, but only got to 22,000ish words before I got bogged down in not knowing where to take my story. I think about it ALL. THE. TIME. but still have not quite figured out exactly which way to go.

I may take the plunge again, starting on the 3rd, and continuing to write on what I've started, but... I don't know. I had trouble with the motivation once I sort of got lost in my plot.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

We could start a thread here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forums/w...oups-and-clubs

That would let us all check in.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I've sat by and watched my friends do it for years and always hemmed and hawed. This year the players from my webgame talked about it so much I finally caved.

I'm horribly neutoric about my writing. Horrible. I'm hoping being forced to FINISH a complete manuscript will like... rehab me or something. My issue isn't being able to write, it's being able to FINISH and STOP RE-WRITING. X_X Please, NaNi, REHAB ME.

Feel free to add me. ^_^

Mah Nani Profile
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    We could start a thread here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forums/w...oups-and-clubs

That would let us all check in.
    Thanks, Kookicat!

Everyone, welcome to the new NaNoWriMo COTH meet up thread - http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forums/w.../threads/80076
    -George Morris

Hm....I signed up for the South Africa one last year; guess I have to re sign up to post now....

I'm doing it again this year (last year was my first time and I was successful!). I am going to really push the envelope by attempting to write my story in German. It will be pretty mundane- a story about a rider, their training and daily life, etc. My goal isn't to write a great story but more so to perfect my German enough so when I go over there and speak with other riders we may actually be able to understand eachother.

By the way, my screenname is the same (hntrjmprpro45).

Ugh, I'm going to sign up today. I don't know what I'm going to write. I have a vague idea for a YA novel or maybe I'll do a verse novel based on my failed novel from last year... I have all the research done for it, it's just a lot harder to get 50,000 words with poetry. But I have time during the day and I haven't been writing and I need some sort of motivation.