The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Frankenstorm food- whatcha cookin?

I went shopping Sat 8 AM. The calm before the storm.

When I left, cars were circling the parking lot for a parking space. It was on.

Tonight? Stayin'Home Short Ribs, PerfectStorm Parmesan Smashed Taters, SleepinIn Salad, and Hurricane Hazelnut Apple Caramel Torte.

Tomorrow I'm making meatballs and my first try at fresh pasta.

And we have many many bottles of wine

What did you buy for your hunkerdown? What are you making?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Had a bit of snow here yesterday, so I'm making a big pot of soup tomorrow. I'll freeze half and eat the rest.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

We made butternut squash with apples and maple syrup...YUM!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

I made a big roast beef today, with au jus and mashed potatoes and broccoli. We lose power at the drop of a leaf around here, and when it goes off, it stays off. So, I've planned no meals beyond this and have stocked up on easy stuff I can cook on the gas stove top. I blew it last year at this time, and did a big grocercy shop and lost tons of food to a week long blackout.

The roast beef will get sliced up for sandwiches if we find ourselves without power.

Stopped in Whole Foods in New Jersey after riding today—surprisingly uncrowded compared to lines outside of the NYC stores!

Making some roasted salmon with broccoli at the moment. Yum!

Vegan Stew with garbanzo beans, potato and artichoke hearts for the vegans of the household. Chicken soup with homemade stock (veggies and wild rice) Homemade Whoopie pies are on tomorrows agenda. And I've got to try the flour-less PB cookies posted on the PB thread!

Not alot of wine on the house, but with 2 sick people the Ginger ale and chicken stock will be more popular. Plenty of beer and ice.

Got a big pot of Granny's green chili going in the crock. Mmmmmm ...
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

You should try in the absence of lobster pot pie (long live Trattoria Acqua in La Jola, CA! wow it was the best meal.) you could do the true Kentucky stew Burgoo! - And yes there was a Kentucky Derby winner bearing that name, in honor of the food: Burgoo King (1932 Kentucky Derby & Preakness Stakes) .. expect no less with the citation from me

Be sure to stock up on more booze in the am for "Sandy"!

My recommendation: Graham Beck sparking brute - case rate is about $14.95. Best sparking on the market.

I'm not in the storm zone (oddly enough since I live in Florida), but I am about to go make hot chocolate since the low tonight is 39. That warrents hot chocolate.

I made nut (walnut) bread and banana nut bread, shepherd's pie, chocolate chip cookies, and fried a pound of bacon.

We bought all the regular stuff: canned veggies, peanut butter, bread, fruit cups, etc.

And water. LOTS of water.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

i'm not cooking today.
    but i have eaten three big pieces of the quick bread dh made yesterday.
    damn him and his honey hazelnut cake toasted with cream cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass;6632744)

Be sure to stock up on more booze in the am for "Sandy"!

My recommendation: [url="http://www.winealign.com/wines/16101-Graham-Beck-Brut-Sparkling-Wine"
    Graham Beck sparking brute - case rate is about $14.95[/url]. Best sparking on the market.
    DH is heading out in the AM for Bloody makings. Spicy. I'll ask him to look for the Beck-love the bubbly!

Sooo since I have ni idea what and if the storm is going to be as bad as they say...I have dine nothing except stock up on drinking water. Gas for the genny but I think the genny is at the neighbors...LOL Hope we can get to if if we need.

If the power does out...it will be fair game for what is in the freezer/fridge rather than buy lots of stuff that works best for us...rather eat what "might" go bad.

I made chicken & dumplings in the crockpot... YUM. Will have the leftovers tomorrow.

Chicken and dumplings ...mmmmm. How do you make your dumplings?

DUMPLINGS. What a fabulously evocative word.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

That's what I should have done... I have three chicken drumsticks that just didn't roast as well as I would have liked and are waiting to go in some kind of soup. Chicken and dumplings would have been a great idea had I been thinking!

I expect that dinner for the next few nights is likely to be grilled cheese and tomato soup on the stovetop (love having a gas stove!) and big Red Delicious apples with sliced cheddar and summer sausage. Suits me fine.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

A friend has, in this order. Cigarettes (I know), several lighters, wine (lots of wine), Ensure and chocolate. She figures she has it covered.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    A friend has, in this order. Cigarettes (I know), several lighters, wine (lots of wine), Ensure and chocolate. She figures she has it covered.
    hahaha love it....my one friends facebook posts have revolved around baking apple and cinnamon bread, ordering domino's, and a dash to target for snacks and movies. Clearly got her priorities straight.

We're just on the edge of it so will likely just get wind and rain, but tonight we had steak, baked veggie casserole, mushrooms and green beans. Yummy!

I made a delicious turkey chili last week though & am very tempted to do it again. Chili in the slow cooker is definitely the way forward.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I tend to cook a bunch of food up on the weekends to reheat for meals during the week. This week I made the mistake of sending hubby off with my list to do the shopping. (This was in exchange for me taking his mother shopping.) I told him I hadn't written anything down for a meat course; he should just pick something out that looked appealing. Of course, NOTHING looked appealing.

Luckily I had some chicken thighs in the freezer and a plastic sealed ham steak in the fridge. Ham steak got diced up and thrown into the crock pot with some black eye peas. Chicken thighs got tossed into a casserole with some stock and whole grains and slow cooked into a kind of pottage cocoction. We've got a generator, so we can use the microwave if the power goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I say she is shocked up and good to go with no judgements passed!

Although pass on the Ensure (by IL-based Abbott Laboratories which a friend oversaw) on still go for something seafood

If I was going down on the Titanic I'd skip the beef jerky and opt for the shrimp!