The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack cleaning question (Passier Lederbasalm)

After cleaning my tack and conditioning with Lederbasalm (which I think is great stuff)- my tack is kind of sticky. Is there a final step that you use after the Lederbasalm? Thanks. Recommendations for any favorite products gladly accepted!

A caveat first: It's supposed to be kind of sticky. There's beeswax in it for that very reason.

But if it's really REALLY sticky, it often means you applied too much and/or need to buff it with a soft, lint-free cloth. Been there, done that. Buffing it to a smooth luster will usually take care of the way-ridiculously-too-tacky effect.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

I love lederbalsam for its stickiness!! I've applied it with both a sponge and brush (brush is recommended on the directions), and like using the sponge better because it doesn't cake it on there so thick. I've never buffed the leather after using it, and have never had an issue with residue. Try applying a thinner layer with a sponge and see where that gets you.

I dislike the Passier Lederbalsam for the sticky beeswax. Dislike it a lot!! My saddle always picked up dirt and it just seemed more sticky and dirty than hydrated.

I like the Effax Lederbalsam a lot more. I don't notice any beeswax in it. It's very hydrating and not at all sticky. Akene is also a great conditioner.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I think I just used too much. I tried using a smaller amount on something else and that worked better. I do think this is a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    I love lederbalsam for its stickiness!! I've applied it with both a sponge and brush (brush is recommended on the directions), and like using the sponge better because it doesn't cake it on there so thick. I've never buffed the leather after using it, and have never had an issue with residue. Try applying a thinner layer with a sponge and see where that gets you.
    I love it for the Tacky as well, every little helps. I tend to massage it into my strap goods with my hands, I sit and massage my bridles while watching TV in the evening, and they come up great, saddles I use the sponge, thin layer, work well in, does a great job, love my Passier Lederbalsam. I thought it was expensive when I first bought it, but it seems to last for ever
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Some of the lotioins to condition leather do seem to undernourish.

I have both Stubben Hamanol and Belvoir Leather Balsam which are both
    more heavy duty. I stand them in hot water to melt them down a bit and make them softer to apply and then let it soak into the leather for a day or two when it completely disappers.

I buff the nosebands and browbands for a bit of sheen.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Love my Passier. I let it sit for a day or two, then buff it out. It also makes a really great cuticle moisturizer!!
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know-it-alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Titania: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Unforgetable: torn between jumping and nap time, bad speller

I also use the Passier. I love the stickiness. I put it on all my tack by hand. I also rarely buff it out, just rub off any excess the next day. It also depends on the quality and type of leather you are applying it to. The better the quality leather, the more effective it seems to be. Plus my hands love it.

When I wear brand new deerskin fullseats, it is too much stick, in which case, yeah, you can buff it out or just put cleaner on tack again. I use Effax Combi - which I find adds a wee bit of tackiness by itself.

Also try keeping your Passier Lederbalsam somewhere that's a little warmer so it doesn't go on so thick. Maybe put it in the sun for a bit before you use it, or near a heater indoors. It can get almost liquid with not too much heat.

I just make sure its rubbed in well, and usually only apply at the end of the week when I'm done with riding (so on Sunday, then the barn has Monday off). That way it gives some time for everything to soak in.

I've found that Horseman's One Step cleaner/conditioner is my absolute favorite out there! It conditions and shines the driest of tack and doesn't leave any sticky residue. All of my leather ends up soft and supple. Plus it is fairly inexpensive compared to some of the other products out there!