The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charging a cell phone.

I just need a quick answer from someone more tech-savy than I am (that isn't hard, should be almost anyone.)

I just charged my emergency only cell phone last week. Going into this storm, I want to make sure it's at full power. It used to be that they would tell you not to charge phones until they were very low because constantly doing small charges would weaken the battery so that it would not hold a charge.

Is that still true? Or, have they improved the batteries to the point where recharging when you still had quite a bit of power left wouldn't hurt the battery?

I just don't know whether to charge my phone up or not.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Most still recommend not charging an already charged phone.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Lithium-Ion batteries should not be allowed to charge down too often. They are very different from the old batteries, and you can charge pretty much anytime you want/need.

I run my phone down to ka-put once a week.

Normally I just plug it in when I go to bed everynight, regardless of where it is in its battery life. I haven't noticed a difference in battery life, and I've had mine about a year now.

In this instance, I would charge it until it's full, then turn it off until you need it. Then you won't have to worry. DH and I have cheap-o tracfones in our cars that we keep fully charged and shut off just in case of an emergency. Puts my mind very much at ease!

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thank you. I think I'll take a chance and charge it, at least this once. My cell phone is always turned off and no one knows the number (not even me, I always have to go look it up.) I just want it to be available if I need it.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

If you have an IPhone (I don't) you need a Mophie Juice Pack. It boosts your battery to at least twice its normal charge. Also, you can get those hand crank emergency radios that will charge a cell phone. It's on my list before tornado season next year.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Or if you have a laptop with a decent battery, you can charge it from that. I have a mini usb lead that fits my phone and it's handy to give it a quick boost.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Some cell phones charge better if you leave them off while they're charging.

My current cell phone won't charge from the wall charger unless it's turned off, but it will charge from the car charger.