The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default first prescription eyeglass question

I now need glasses for reading and have been doing well with 1.25 magnifiers, but have noticed that one eye is blurry so decided to get "real" glasses. Now both eyes are a little bit blurry and my vision is a little bit blurry, I find myself turning my head and looking out of the corners.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Maybe they didn't get the prescription right, or they put the wrong lenses in your glasses. Call for a follow-up. They should fix the problem for you. I've had to do this twice. In both cases, one lens just wasn't quite right for me.

I agree, go back and have them check the glasses...for what prescription eye wear costs, it should help you see better!

Are you trying to do anything other than reading/close work with them on? Reading glasses will make anything further away look blurry...hence the reason those of us who are old enough to need reading glasses AND are nearsighted need bifocals .

It's possible they got your prescription wrong, but also some eye issues, eg some types of astigmatism, cannot be fully corrected by prescription lenses. Definitely worth asking if what you are experiencing is the best they can do for you, or if something went wrong.

Call the eye doc's and tell them this, just in case you need another exam.

However...it's not unusual. Once you force your eyes to focus correctly with prescriptions...they kind of give up on you the rest of the time after a certain age.

I have prescriptions for distance...however one lense is the lowest scrip there is and the other lense is only one above that. Could always see pretty much fine without them, even detail. Even eye doc told me I'd really only need them for driving at night IF I needed to read signs or if I went to the movies.

Once I turned 43 I noticed that while reading my eyes got tired and blurry after a while. So last eye apppointment (I go every 3rd year) this year had them checked and had readers made. Huge difference.

BUT...after I started wearing the readers I noticed I really needed my distance glasses to see most of the time now. Went back to docs...he laughed and said totally normal but still gave me an eye pressure test. (was fine) My eyes got old...dammit. Once they had to focus for reading, they refused to do it on their own the rest of the time. Stupid stubborn eyeballs.

I tried the progressives...those don't agree with me. They made me seasick on land for too many weeks, never got used to them. So now I have readers and I have regulars. Which sucks.

but call the eye doc again...they may want to do an eye pressure test just in case. But most likely will say that's normal and give you a distance exam
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    I agree, go back and have them check the glasses...for what prescription eye wear costs, it should help you see better!

Are you trying to do anything other than reading/close work with them on? Reading glasses will make anything further away look blurry...hence the reason those of us who are old enough to need reading glasses AND are nearsighted need bifocals .
    Just a suggestion on the high price of glasses. Once your prescription is correct try http://www.zennioptical.com/

I just got a pair of single vision glasses with the upgraded lens (worth it for the lighter weight) anti-reflective coating, and titanium frames for about $40.00 including shipping. Progressives and bifocals cost a little more but are still a small fraction of what you'd pay otherwise.

My daughter in law was admiring my new glasses and was shocked at the cost. He last pair of titanium framed glasses cost her over $400.00.

The lenses are perfect. They are so inexpensive I have two pair of prescription sunglasses for distance, and 3 pair of spares for my reading prescription (work, home, barn) in addition to my favorite ones. I doubt I paid more than $200.00 for all of them together.

2 members found this post helpful.

How long have you had the glasses? It can take a few days to adapt when my script changes.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Call your eye doctor.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams