The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VENT: Horse stepped on foot, probably fractured

OK, this is a vent. My horse stepped on my foot 6 weeks ago today. Because of the pain and swelling, I went to an urgent care clinic (it's Sunday!). They x-rayed it, and the doc thought it might be broken, but wasn't sure. They sent the x-rays out after putting me in a half cast and crutches. The next day, the radiologist said it wasn't broken. Boy, was I relieved!

Fast forward 6 weeks. My foot is no better, and is worse. I didn't want to be a drama queen and run to the doctor every week, screaming "My foot still hurts! My foot still hurts!", so I waited. Now, it's worse than ever. I'm going to go to the doc this week, but I have a bad feeling there's a stress fracture, or now a real fracture (I've been a bad girl and not stopped jogging or riding) in there, and I'm going to be down for the count for another 6 weeks!

Yes, I'm moaning and groaning! Not happy!

Feet injuries are terrible. I would definitely go to the doctor and get it checked out further, as soon as you can. My old horse spooked and stepped on my foot (I was wearing paddock boots at the time) and while my foot hurt, it wasn't debilitating to finish pulling his mane. Once I went to get a broom/shovel to clean up the hair, I realized that I couldn't walk because of my foot, went to the ER, got x-rays, crush fracture in my foot. I made a deal with my trainer that I could ride when I could fit my foot into my paddock boots so I was back riding in less than a week (I just had a special boot that velcroed on that I was supposed to be wearing).
    Needless to say it was a bad idea, 2 years later I've still got pain in my foot, I no longer have an arch in my right foot, and it's quite disgusting looking.

@ broken toes 2 different times,,, The good thing was that they only felt ok in paddoc boots ;-)

Same here. My horse has broken my toe at least two times that I can remember. It's torture, and takes forever to heal! And that was a toe, not a whole foot!

Get a second opinion. So sorry.

You don't want to mess around with foot injuries because there are so many bones in there. I had my foot crushed as a child by an coin operated electronic grocery store ride. I probably should have had pins or something put in, as I'm convinced the bones didn't knit back together correctly. Now my foot hurts randomly (sharp pains sometimes, dull pains other times) and feels like a knuckle that needs to be cracked all the time but of course I can't crack the middle of my foot. Broken bones never heal back to the way they were before.

X-rays show discontinuities in bones. An fresh, undisplaced fracture will not generally show up on an x-ray because there is no discontinuity in the bone structure (no displacement, no deminineralization, etc.).

Sometimes small, displaced fractures can be obscured by swelling, fluid accumulation, etc.

The correct instructions to the patient usually includes the warning that no fracture was apparent, but if the pain continues then seek additional help in a week to ten days.

If, after six weeks, you've still got pain and loss of function then you've got a problem and should seek immediate medical advice.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

go bug the doc. It's not like they do it for free.

it could be broken, or it could be a nasty sprain or other soft tissue injury, which won't show up on Xray but still hurt like the dickens! Stay off your foot in the mean time. Seems like ice is in order (though it can be the worst thing when you have a blood clod...go figure)

treat yourself like you would your horse with a gimp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Best advice is to take your time. Foot injuries take long to heal anyway...jogging and riding doesn't help, let me tell you.

Good luck!

Awwww, thanks, guys! I feel much better now! I am going to call my doc first thing in the morning to make an appointment.

Special thanks to Guilherme - I didn't realize a fresh fracture might not been seen. I went to the Urgent Care Clinic the same day it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Arab_Mare View Post
    Best advice is to take your time. Foot injuries take long to heal anyway...jogging and riding doesn't help, let me tell you.
    Guess I don't have to ask you how you know!

Headed into week three of a horse induced broken toe. Knew it was broken day 2, but since it didn't hurt THAT bad, kept riding and doing barn chores. So it got progressively worse until I started following dr orders. Go back for a second look, wear the dorky support shoe and take it easy for a couple weeks. Much as I hated to admit it, clogs and paddock boots were not good alternatives.

Good luck, and I hope you heal soon. Cause Omg it hurts!

I know you weren't looking for advice, so please know I hear your vent! Missing the last decent fall riding weather... Boo.

LOL, horse people, panic, call the vet, box rest, all sorts of support if 1200 pounds of horse trips a little, Keep on going when they break their own foot!

Hope you get good news tomorrow, and a quick fix.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Quote Originally Posted by MMavin View Post
    I know you weren't looking for advice, so please know I hear your vent! Missing the last decent fall riding weather... Boo.
    You hit the nail on the head!

[QUOTE=KBC;6633651]LOL, horse people, panic, call the vet, box rest, all sorts of support if 1200 pounds of horse trips a little, Keep on going when they break their own foot!
    [QUOTE]

Ahhhh, the truth hurts! Literally!

When I fractured a bone in my foot the fracture did not show up on Xray at the ER. Several weeks later it did show up on second Xray at the podiatrist's office. Never did figure out how it fractured, either - my only theory is I landed too hard on a dismount from my 14.2 beast.

Fractured foot is a PITA. Good luck!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Last edited by JumpQH; Oct. 29, 2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: dup post

Some things don't show up on xrays or MRI's ever. I had an MRI and 2 sets of Xrays on my finger. It wasn't until the doctor operated six months later on it did he find the torn volar plate.
    It was pinned and now I have very limited motion in that joint (PIP)
    After the surgery the doctor looked over the images again and said, even knowing where it was it didn't show up.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Some years ago I got stomped on by a spooky horse; broke two metatarsal bones; I was in a cast for 6 weeks, then a walking boot. It pretty well sucked. Neither was displaced, and I was lucky that I had virtually no pain once it was stablized. definitely GO TO DOCTOR - again...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Did you manage to get to the doc today?
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

No, doctor couldn't get me in yesterday. I have an appointment today after work. I'm praying I can get to the radiologist today before they close, too! I will keep you updated, and thanks, everyone, for your experiences and continued support! In the meantime, I'm still hobbling around in my half-cast, which is sure better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    LOL, horse people, panic, call the vet, box rest, all sorts of support if 1200 pounds of horse trips a little, Keep on going when they break their own foot!
    And over the summer, my crappy ankle was wrapped in vetwrap and cold hosed when I got back from the gym. It worked as well as any "people" medicine.