The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Okay, question for the self-proclaimed experts on this.

How is Romneycare in Mass. different from Obamacare for the country on this issue?

This is a simple question. Let's see how simple the answers are.
    I am not an expert (self-proclaimed or otherwise), but I do work on the financial side of the health care industry (on the provider billing side now, previously on the payer/insurance side, so I do understand the language) and live in Massachusetts. IMO, there isn't a substantial difference. There are some minor differences in the details of execution...but, overall, it's the same basic plan.

1 members found this post helpful.

How is Romneycare in Mass. different from Obamacare for the country on this issue?

Well, let's start with the mandate. The fines/taxes (whatever you want to call it) for not having insurance are higher with Romneycare than Obamacare.

Romney's plan requires any company with 11 or more full time employees provide insurance, Obamacare requires it of employers with over 50 full time workers.

Obamacare offers a tax credit for small businesses who offer insurance, Romneycare does not.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Because the churches were interfering with the free market.
    No they aren't. The churches are the entity purchasing the product. As such they get to define what it is they want to purchase.

If you were an employee of the "Council to Promote Vegetarianism" would you expect to get free hamburgers in their cafeteria? Should the government be allowed to force the council to provide hamburgers for it's employees?

2 members found this post helpful.

Romneycare was created as a bi-partisan effort and was passed by the Mass legislature with significant support from both parties, with a majority of that state's electorate satisfied with the contents of the bill.

Obamacare was create with almost no bi-partisan effort passed without a single vote from one party and a majority of the electorate was dissatisfied with the final bill.

No one told the people of Mass that they had to pass it before the could find out what was in it.

Simple answer.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    No they aren't. The churches are the entity purchasing the product. As such they get to define what it is they want to purchase.

If you were an employee of the "Council to Promote Vegetarianism" would you expect to get free hamburgers in their cafeteria? Should the government be allowed to force the council to provide hamburgers for it's employees?
    No, but if the Council to Promote Vegetarianism gave a credit voucher to purchase lunch at any local restaurant, I would expect the voucher holder to be able to purchase a hamburger if they so chose.

No one is telling the churches that they have to sell Birth Control or give it away in the lobby.

Simple answer.. I don't live in MA. Romneycare doesn't affect me. Even if I did live in MA , I could escape without giving up my citizenship.
    Last edited by hosspuller; Nov. 5, 2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: better wording

3 members found this post helpful.

The majority of the electorate has never even read the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    The majority of the electorate has never even read the bill.
    Neither have the Surpreme Court Justices who ruled on portions of it. When asked about not reading it Antonin Scalia said, "What happened to the Eighth Amendment?" (It prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.)

The bill is over 2700 pages.

Congress created a bill so big and so convoluted that our justice system can't even wade through it.

Thats scary.

Neither have the Surpreme Court Justices who ruled on portions of it. When asked about not reading it Antonin Scalia said, "What happened to the Eighth Amendment?" (It prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.)

The bill is over 2700 pages.

Congress created a bill so big and so convoluted that our justice system can't even wade through it.

No, but if the Council to Promote Vegetarianism gave a credit voucher to purchase lunch at any local restaurant, I would expect the voucher holder to be able to purchase a hamburger if they so chose.

No one is telling the churches that they have to sell Birth Control or give it away in the lobby.
    Poor simile.. The church isn't giving vouchers, they've entered into a bargain with the employees. Wages & benefits for work. The Gov't wants to force the church to pay a price that its not willing to pay.

REALLY?! So as long as they give it away in a benefits package and not give it away in the lobby then that's ok?

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Simple answer.. I don't live in MA. Romneycare doesn't affect me. Even if I did, I could move without giving up my citizenship.
    and I wouldn't have to provide my health information to the IRS

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Ahhh. Then why all the freak-outs and accusations of Obama being a Muslim?
    What connection does this have with the current thread discussion ?

Barrack Obama is a Muslim ... So says the tenets of the faith. His father was muslim, therefore his son is muslim. For barrack to renounce Islam, that would mean he's an apostate and should be killed. In sharia ruled countries, people are killed for this... without any discord or note.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    and I wouldn't have to provide my health information to the IRS
    I'm in Mass. I have to prove that I have health insurance to the DOR every year, when I file my tax return. I am NOT providing them with any health information at all. BCBS of MA (my insurer) sends me a form every January. It has a unique ID on it... I report that on my tax return (for me and my dependents) and that is enough to ensure that I don't pay a penalty under the indivdiual mandate provision. Mass Department of Revenue doesn't have my "health information", they only know that I have health insurance.

Poor simile.. The church isn't giving vouchers, they've entered into a bargain with the employees. Wages & benefits for work. The Gov't wants to force the church to pay a price that its not willing to pay.
    No the Gov't wants to force the employer to allow their employees to choose what they want to buy with their wages and benefits.

REALLY?! So as long as they give it away in a benefits package and not give it away in the lobby then that's ok?
    Exactly. Yes. 100%!

No the Gov't wants to force the employer to allow their employees to choose what they want to buy with their wages and benefits.

No ... yourself ... Show us where the employee can't pay for an abortion or BC with their wages. Church only says it's a sin. Employees sin all the time. Although if a person flaunts their sin to their employer, the employer might decide not to keep them as an employee. Seems the Church only refuses to provide a benefit that includes abortion and BC.

What connection does this have with the current thread discussion ?

Barrack Obama is a Muslim ... So says the tenets of the faith. His father was muslim, therefore his son is muslim. For barrack to renounce Islam, that would mean he's an apostate and should be killed. In sharia ruled countries, people are killed for this... without any discord or note.
    We're still having this conversation? SERIOUSLY? Sweet Jesus.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    We're still having this conversation? SERIOUSLY? Sweet Jesus.
    That's the problem of condensing all the political discussion to one thread.

I have a solution for the Church and their reluctance to OFFER typical women's health care. Tax 'em. Or hey, give them the choice, either pay taxes or graduate to the 21st Century.

5 members found this post helpful.