The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 792
  1. #741
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Okay, question for the self-proclaimed experts on this.

    How is Romneycare in Mass. different from Obamacare for the country on this issue?

    This is a simple question. Let's see how simple the answers are.
    I am not an expert (self-proclaimed or otherwise), but I do work on the financial side of the health care industry (on the provider billing side now, previously on the payer/insurance side, so I do understand the language) and live in Massachusetts. IMO, there isn't a substantial difference. There are some minor differences in the details of execution...but, overall, it's the same basic plan.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #742
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    15,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Okay, question for the self-proclaimed experts on this.

    How is Romneycare in Mass. different from Obamacare for the country on this issue?

    This is a simple question. Let's see how simple the answers are.
    Well, let's start with the mandate. The fines/taxes (whatever you want to call it) for not having insurance are higher with Romneycare than Obamacare.

    Romney's plan requires any company with 11 or more full time employees provide insurance, Obamacare requires it of employers with over 50 full time workers.

    Obamacare offers a tax credit for small businesses who offer insurance, Romneycare does not.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    4 members found this post helpful.

  3. #743
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Because the churches were interfering with the free market.
    No they aren't. The churches are the entity purchasing the product. As such they get to define what it is they want to purchase.

    If you were an employee of the "Council to Promote Vegetarianism" would you expect to get free hamburgers in their cafeteria? Should the government be allowed to force the council to provide hamburgers for it's employees?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #744
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    How is Romneycare in Mass. different from Obamacare for the country on this issue?

    This is a simple question. Let's see how simple the answers are.
    Romneycare was created as a bi-partisan effort and was passed by the Mass legislature with significant support from both parties, with a majority of that state's electorate satisfied with the contents of the bill.

    Obamacare was create with almost no bi-partisan effort passed without a single vote from one party and a majority of the electorate was dissatisfied with the final bill.

    No one told the people of Mass that they had to pass it before the could find out what was in it.

    Simple answer.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  5. #745
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    15,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    No they aren't. The churches are the entity purchasing the product. As such they get to define what it is they want to purchase.

    If you were an employee of the "Council to Promote Vegetarianism" would you expect to get free hamburgers in their cafeteria? Should the government be allowed to force the council to provide hamburgers for it's employees?
    No, but if the Council to Promote Vegetarianism gave a credit voucher to purchase lunch at any local restaurant, I would expect the voucher holder to be able to purchase a hamburger if they so chose.

    No one is telling the churches that they have to sell Birth Control or give it away in the lobby.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #746
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Okay, question for the self-proclaimed experts on this.

    How is Romneycare in Mass. different from Obamacare for the country on this issue?

    This is a simple question. Let's see how simple the answers are.
    Simple answer.. I don't live in MA. Romneycare doesn't affect me. Even if I did live in MA , I could escape without giving up my citizenship.
    Last edited by hosspuller; Nov. 5, 2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: better wording


    3 members found this post helpful.

  7. #747
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    The majority of the electorate has never even read the bill.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #748
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    The majority of the electorate has never even read the bill.
    Neither have the Surpreme Court Justices who ruled on portions of it. When asked about not reading it Antonin Scalia said, "What happened to the Eighth Amendment?" (It prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.)

    The bill is over 2700 pages.

    Congress created a bill so big and so convoluted that our justice system can't even wade through it.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  9. #749
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,682

    Default

    Thats scary.



    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Neither have the Surpreme Court Justices who ruled on portions of it. When asked about not reading it Antonin Scalia said, "What happened to the Eighth Amendment?" (It prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.)

    The bill is over 2700 pages.

    Congress created a bill so big and so convoluted that our justice system can't even wade through it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #750
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No, but if the Council to Promote Vegetarianism gave a credit voucher to purchase lunch at any local restaurant, I would expect the voucher holder to be able to purchase a hamburger if they so chose.

    No one is telling the churches that they have to sell Birth Control or give it away in the lobby.
    Poor simile.. The church isn't giving vouchers, they've entered into a bargain with the employees. Wages & benefits for work. The Gov't wants to force the church to pay a price that its not willing to pay.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #751
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No one is telling the churches that they have to sell Birth Control or give it away in the lobby.
    REALLY?! So as long as they give it away in a benefits package and not give it away in the lobby then that's ok?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #752
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2005
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    2,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Simple answer.. I don't live in MA. Romneycare doesn't affect me. Even if I did, I could move without giving up my citizenship.
    and I wouldn't have to provide my health information to the IRS



  13. #753
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Ahhh. Then why all the freak-outs and accusations of Obama being a Muslim?
    What connection does this have with the current thread discussion ?

    Barrack Obama is a Muslim ... So says the tenets of the faith. His father was muslim, therefore his son is muslim. For barrack to renounce Islam, that would mean he's an apostate and should be killed. In sharia ruled countries, people are killed for this... without any discord or note.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #754
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    and I wouldn't have to provide my health information to the IRS
    I'm in Mass. I have to prove that I have health insurance to the DOR every year, when I file my tax return. I am NOT providing them with any health information at all. BCBS of MA (my insurer) sends me a form every January. It has a unique ID on it... I report that on my tax return (for me and my dependents) and that is enough to ensure that I don't pay a penalty under the indivdiual mandate provision. Mass Department of Revenue doesn't have my "health information", they only know that I have health insurance.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #755
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    15,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Poor simile.. The church isn't giving vouchers, they've entered into a bargain with the employees. Wages & benefits for work. The Gov't wants to force the church to pay a price that its not willing to pay.
    No the Gov't wants to force the employer to allow their employees to choose what they want to buy with their wages and benefits.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #756
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    15,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    REALLY?! So as long as they give it away in a benefits package and not give it away in the lobby then that's ok?
    Exactly. Yes. 100%!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #757
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No the Gov't wants to force the employer to allow their employees to choose what they want to buy with their wages and benefits.

    No ... yourself ... Show us where the employee can't pay for an abortion or BC with their wages. Church only says it's a sin. Employees sin all the time. Although if a person flaunts their sin to their employer, the employer might decide not to keep them as an employee. Seems the Church only refuses to provide a benefit that includes abortion and BC.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #758
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    What connection does this have with the current thread discussion ?

    Barrack Obama is a Muslim ... So says the tenets of the faith. His father was muslim, therefore his son is muslim. For barrack to renounce Islam, that would mean he's an apostate and should be killed. In sharia ruled countries, people are killed for this... without any discord or note.
    We're still having this conversation? SERIOUSLY? Sweet Jesus.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  19. #759
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    We're still having this conversation? SERIOUSLY? Sweet Jesus.
    That's the problem of condensing all the political discussion to one thread.



  20. #760
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    I have a solution for the Church and their reluctance to OFFER typical women's health care. Tax 'em. Or hey, give them the choice, either pay taxes or graduate to the 21st Century.


    5 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. CAUTION! POLITICAL THREAD!
    By Frank B in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct. 25, 2012, 11:40 AM
  2. For the political threads...
    By CosMonster in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr. 2, 2011, 02:39 PM
  3. Replies: 151
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2011, 07:07 PM
  4. First political thread this off topic day...
    By dressurpferd01 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan. 14, 2011, 05:56 PM
  5. The political thread
    By dizzywriter in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May. 18, 2010, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •