The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Just wait.....it has been happening since the 1980's. So, if it continues.....well everything is Obama's fault.

What is certain to happen if Romney is elected is that collective bargaining will be outlawed, workers will have fewer benefits, workers will be hired full-time with little or no benefits, that is Romney's corporate world. I work in the corporate world, and working free every week is expected.
    I hope unions and collective bargaining go away forever. The days that necessitated unions are long gone. They only force companies to shift jobs oversees.

I work in corporate america, have always had a job in corporate america, we are already identifying jobs that can go part time. Plan on transitioning as many as possible.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    This entities have proven time and time again they cannot go unregulated. C'mon Bluey. Is it because YOU haven't had to live in the wake of a man-made catastrophe that you deem my statement foolhardy?

I don't want an open pit mine set on top of my aquifer, the same aquifer that supplies clean water to most of Northern WI. It may create jobs but at what cost? They cannot guarantee against contamination. Sorry not worth it. So far humans can't live without clean water. Neither can most of earth's creatures. We are our own worst enemy. I suppose Monsanto could engineer a species of corn/wheat that lives on heavy metals. Not my idea of living in that world.
    Are you serious?
    All that is regulated and inspected.
    Why would you think they are not regulated or anyone would want them not to be regulated?

It seems to me that many have a NIMBY, not in my backyard complex.

We want fuels, but don't drill in my town.
    We want electricity, but don't think about nuclear, or mining coal, or gas pipelines, or put up solar fields or wind towers, I don't like any of them.

Go by the science and regulate by it.
    If indeed it is not feasible, there are laws to not drill/mine/put reactors where it is not the sensible place for them.

If there is the technology for being as possibly safe as can be made, why not?

Even if at times accidents happen, they will happen from any we do and we can't quit doing what we do and have what we do without taking sensible chances.

You do the same every day in your life.
    How many wrecks are every day on the TV news in every city in the country?
    Yet everyone gets up the next day and drive to work, knowing that someone, somewhere, will again be in an accident that day.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    I hope unions and collective bargaining go away forever. The days that necessitated unions are long gone. They only force companies to shift jobs oversees.

I work in corporate america, have always had a job in corporate america, we are already identifying jobs that can go part time. Plan on transitioning as many as possible.
    So as long as you have a job, the company that employs you can dictate any rule for your employment. Outlaw collective bargaining is a goal, well atleast we all know where you stand right there with Romney/Ryan pushing for corporate profits and less employee benefits.

Hail to the corporate chief !

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    So as long as you have a job, the company that employs you can dictate any rule for your employment. Outlaw collective bargaining is a goal, well atleast we all know where you stand right there with Romney/Ryan pushing for corporate profits and less employee benefits.

Hail to the corporate chief !
    Pushing for more corporate profits YES, that way I benefit as well as everyone who works for the same company.

Unions only want more pay and benefits for unions, screw the company and everyone else that happens to work there.

There are very few regulations with fracking. It is a relatively new technology as well as deep oil well drilling. Fracking folks don't even have to disclose the chemicals that are injected, they don't even know the long term ramifications of the process. Yes all well and good if it's NIMBY. However they are mining the frack sand all over my state. Buying that precious AGRICULTURAL land to do so. Fracking itself will never happen here, it's still not okay with me.

Ever seen a 22 mile open pit mine? Ever been to Northern Minnesota? Do YOU have any knowledge of the difference between ferrous mining and non-ferrous mining and the environmental impact? No? Well welcome to the world of non-interested public. If it's not in YOUR BACK YARD it's not your problem. WI tried to change the legislation to shove this mine through.

So Bluey would YOU think it's no problem if it were YBY? Would you not care if they decided your area was feasible for any of these types of mining/drilling/ storing of hazardous materials. For the good of others NOT in your area.
    BTW here are the numbers.

By the numbers
    When Gogebic Taconite began pursuing an iron ore mine in northern Wisconsin, the numbers grabbed both supporters and opponents.

» 700: mining jobs created in the first 30 years of operation

$1.4: billions of dollars of tax revenue a mine would generate for local and state government over that time

» 2,100: number of related jobs created statewide

» 1,000: feet deep at the deepest point of a mine

» 22: miles wide the pit mine would be after 90 or more years of work

» 22,000: acres of potential iron ore deposits

There are very few regulations with fracking. It is a relatively new technology as well as deep oil well drilling. Fracking folks don't even have to disclose the chemicals that are injected, they don't even know the long term ramifications of the process. Yes all well and good if it's NIMBY. However they are mining the frack sand all over my state. Buying that precious AGRICULTURAL land to do so. Fracking itself will never happen here, it's still not okay with me.

Ever seen a 22 mile open pit mine? Ever been to Northern Minnesota? Do YOU have any knowledge of the difference between ferrous mining and non-ferrous mining and the environmental impact? No? Well welcome to the world of non-interested public. If it's not in YOUR BACK YARD it's not your problem. WI tried to change the legislation to shove this mine through.

So Bluey would YOU think it's no problem if it were YBY? Would you not care if they decided your area was feasible for any of these types of mining/drilling/ storing of hazardous materials. For the good of others NOT in your area.
    BTW here are the numbers.

By the numbers
    When Gogebic Taconite began pursuing an iron ore mine in northern Wisconsin, the numbers grabbed both supporters and opponents.

» 700: mining jobs created in the first 30 years of operation

$1.4: billions of dollars of tax revenue a mine would generate for local and state government over that time

» 2,100: number of related jobs created statewide

» 1,000: feet deep at the deepest point of a mine

» 22: miles wide the pit mine would be after 90 or more years of work

» 22,000: acres of potential iron ore deposits
    Of course we have here plenty of what you speak.
    Most locals are ok with it, but we have outsiders come here fight against it.

Do you really think that goes on only where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

Did I say that? I believe I was actually saying the opposite in response to NIMBY. I can actually empathize with NIMBY. It's not so simple as you want to believe.

Just ask some of the victims of corporate/monied interests. Start with Libby, Montana. I'll bet you wished you lived there....

I just wanted to interject here that I went to church this morning because the children of two dear friends were being baptized. I would describe myself as an agnostic who prays, you know, "just in case."

After the baptisms, the pastor gave a little prelude to the sermon in which he referred to the upcoming election and talked about the need to vote according to biblical principles. How life begins at conception and there is no need to redefine marriage.

I wanted to jump up out of the pew and tell him to STFU.

8 members found this post helpful.

Did I say that? I believe I was actually saying the opposite in response to NIMBY. I can actually empathize with NIMBY. It's not so simple as you want to believe.

Just ask some of the victims of corporate/monied interests. Start with Libby, Montana. I'll bet you wished you lived there....
    When I lived in WY, we grazed reclaimed strip mined land, that used to be huge, deep mines and it was now pristine pastures.

Yes, I am sure some places someone did things wrong, then, others they did what they were supposed to do.

That is what regulations, inspections and fines and jail time for those that don't do right are.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I don't think Bluey, based on her previous responses, has any education or knowledge whatsoever on the aquafires, tarsands, or environmental concerns. those damn environmental outsiders are coming again! How dare they!

But I'm going to quote her post, to give her the opportunity to educate herself and correct her post, once she has done some reading.

Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    Oh, I don't think Bluey, based on her previous responses, has any education or knowledge whatsoever on the aquafires, tarsands, or environmental concerns. those damn environmental outsiders are coming again! How dare they!

But I'm going to quote her post, to give her the opportunity to educate herself and correct her post, once she has done some reading.
    And you assume all that because ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    The corp wasn't going bankrupt until Bain bought it and stripped it.
    It was doing quite well before Bain.
    If this company of which you speak was doing quite well ... Why did the owner's sell it. I doubt a gun was involved. More likely, Bain offered enough money that the owner (who knew the true health of the compnay) saw a good deal to get out.

And you assume all that because ... ?
    based on her previous responses
    as in my post above.

I have the memory and the butt of an elephant. I don't forget the stuff you have posted. Go back to page 3/4 of what you had posted here. Keystone pipelines, tarsands, politics.

Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    as in my post above.

I have the memory and the butt of an elephant. I don't forget the stuff you have posted. Go back to page 3/4 of what you had posted here. Keystone pipelines, tarsands, politics.
    Well, you are wrong with your assumptions.
    That happens sometimes.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    After the baptisms, the pastor gave a little prelude to the sermon in which he referred to the upcoming election and talked about the need to vote according to biblical principles. How life begins at conception and there is no need to redefine marriage.

So When does human life begin ?

I am Pro abortion but let's be honest. Abortion kills a child. It's a personal decision. It is not to be taken lightly or subsidized by gov't.
    Last edited by hosspuller; Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added more of the oringinal quote for clarity

Like anyone goes to jail. hahahahahah! I worked for a huge manufacturing corp for years. They just pay those pesky fines. They are wealthy enough to be immune. Oops, that is exactly what I'm talking about. They can buy their way out.
    I know! I'm such an idiot to not have seen the correlation..

3 members found this post helpful.

Like anyone goes to jail. hahahahahah! I worked for a huge manufacturing corp for years. They just pay those pesky fines. They are wealthy enough to be immune. Oops, that is exactly what I'm talking about. They can buy their way out.
    I know! I'm such an idiot to not have seen the correlation..
    Where you in management?
    Yes, when things don't go right and there are consequences, they do pay for breaking the rules.
    The pesky inspections later, well, if they didn't rectify what they were doing that caused the fines, guess what happens?

You may not have been aware of that part, just that fines were paid and didn't think it mattered much, not knowing any more about the process at the level that is handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I just wanted to interject here that I went to church this morning because the children of two dear friends were being baptized. I would describe myself as an agnostic who prays, you know, "just in case."

I do believe I would have walked out. Of course, I'm the mother of the 3 year old who attended vacation bible school and when asked for her $1 donation to buy bibles for the starving people in Africa, she refused to hand it over unless they promised to buy food.

I got the phone call from the bible school leader, I laughed and she was asked to leave. Last time I was in a church except for weddings and funerals.

I am not a fan of organized religion. It's just a way to control people.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

^^^

If so called churches want to play politics they should be paying taxes.
    It is immoral that 'pastors' should be telling their parishoners how to vote.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Um..............can you say Walmart??? They've been doing it for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    This is the beginning of a trend in response to Obamacare.

Darden will begin to implement a policy in 2013 to deal with Obamcare mandates. Their new employees will not be hired as fulltime employees, they will be part timers. This is a new trend to get around the mandates of Obamacare.

The restaurant business is just beginning to start this trend in hiring. But others will surely follow.

http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-con...s-2502912.html

1 members found this post helpful.