The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadeYaLook View Post
    After watching Obama in the debates and his actions and manner it is no wonder that he hasn't received cooperation from the other side of the aisle- this is a man who really doesn't like to be questioned or criticized and really shows disdain to people who have the audacity to do this.
    I guess you haven't seen "the other side" in congress. Just take a look at Mitch McConnell and his buddies. Their goal from day one was to work against anything proposed by Obama.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Are you sure of your facts?
    The only time interest got very high, 22%, was when Carter was president.

The highest % I remember at any time before or since was 16%, which was very high, I agree, but not usurious, as 22% was.
    No it did get very high, My husband and I had a mortgage with 22% interest in 1988. Yes, EEKK ! I do remember it well. The savings and loan failure was again, lack of regulations for banks. In fact, John McCain had a hand in the loosening of the regulations, but after the failure the regulations were reinstated.
    Last edited by stolen virtue; Oct. 28, 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Still can't believe any educated rational thinking woman would vote Republican in this election. I think when Obama wins this time he can finally focus all his energy & resources on issues instead of having to be in constant defense mode against brutal stupid attacks from the right. And then the Reps can stop focusing so much energy on making him look bad & start doing their real jobs in Congress.

I score centrist on most surveys but no way in hell I'd vote Republican this election, these men seriously scare me, and I wouldn't want to live in a country led by them, as a woman.
    Um, I consider myself rational and educated (I do hold a college degree).

For the life of me, I can't figure out why women think that ANY president is going to come in and just say..OK, let's get rid of Abortion rights/let's get rid of Roe vs Wade....Do you folks really believe that is going to happen?

President Obama shouldn't have to be fighting for his political life...he should have done a good job the first four years and then we would ALL be voting for him. He did basically nothing...oh, but wait..NOW he has a plan. Forget the last four years, he's going to fix EVERYTHING in the next four years.

This man is the Emperor with no clothes. And yes, I think he will be voted back into office.

Once again, I consider myself educated and rational..and a registered democrat....but I don't see this country moving FORWARD with Obama. It may not, with Romney...but it's time to try something different.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeYaLook View Post
    Okay I will wade in here. First of all I'm tired of the Dems saying that Romney hasn't showed his plan when in fact he has layed out a outline of his proposals- the question here is what is Obama's plan other then tax the evil rich. This has been tried before and it does NOT work!!!
    Second on the social issues- I will preface this by saying I am pro choice(abortion, gay unions) but I truely resent the Dems making this all about my uterus!! Listen up-- Roe v. Wade will not be overturned for the simple reason of why abortions became legal in the first place-to make it a SAFE, sterile procedure that it is today rather than the backroom procedures in which a number of women died from. That being said my position is if you don't support abortion than quite simply don't have one. I don't however believe that the govt should pay for them.
    The reason that the social issues are once again receiving so much attention is that really is the one area that the Dems feel the GOP is weak and so the attacks and sleazy ads. As stated before I AM A INTELLIGENT WOMAN AND I AM VOTING FOR ROMNEY.
    As for the poster who stated the very tired it is someone else's fault(Bush) and that no one could have fixed this in 4 years- news flash for you-it has gotten worse with NO improvement under this administration. You were quoting Clinton and trust me when he made that statement at the DNC he was doing it because he is "currying" favor with the Dems for the future for yet another attempt to get back in the White House with Hilliary. When Clinton was in office his first 2 years were very similar to Obama as far as left side views of the economy- then came the mid term elections and the GOP gained control of both the House and the Senate and forced Clinton to become moderate and that is when the economy started to improve in his first term and on through his second term. After watching Obama in the debates and his actions and manner it is no wonder that he hasn't received cooperation from the other side of the aisle- this is a man who really doesn't like to be questioned or criticized and really shows disdain to people who have the audacity to do this.
    Sorry this was long but I have a very hard time with anyone who claims to "love" all Americans but very clearly doesn't like America and what it stands for.
    Okay off soapbox with flame suit zipped and ready!
    Great post!
    And as a pro choice woman, I don't think Roe V Wade will ever be overturned. At worst, states may have more leeway to put restrictions on abortion, but I don't see it ever being banned. But if Obama gets re-elected, I think the economy is going to be so bad, no one is going to be "in the mood" and they may not have a home, much less bedrooms, so the point is moot, lol. I think it is ignorant and short sighted to vote for a candidate just because the candidate is pro choice, when their track record is dismal, and they have been proven to lie/cover up, increase debt tremendously, lower our country's credit rating, and make a country that was always seen as a world leader, now be seen as weak and apologistic.

These hot button topics, abortion, guns etc. are merely a campaign ploy. They deliberately are used to change the focus of the people. It seems to me that republicans are masters of the bafflement. It always reminds of sheep.

To say Obama did nothing is a bit of a stretch. For example no one will ever know what things would now look like if the auto industry failed. Many didn't even know they WERE helped at all.

I do know ONE thing for certain I would not be living on my farm that I've owned for 17 years if I had not received some of the help we garnered from the various stimulus packages. Job loss, real estate crash, DH's two back to back life threatening illness's all culminating in a span of 4 years about wiped us out financially. I suspect many people were helped but never realized.

Dr.Jill Stein wants Medicare aka single payer healthcare for all just like they have in Canada and many other countries. Taxing the rich does work. The rich used to pay up to 90%. Cutting defense spending a huge amount will help. Providing jobs for everybody who wants one will help. Intelligent people should consider all options before making a decision.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh and one other thing, have none of you noticed where the stock market had been and where it is now?

You do realize that it went from a low of 6469 in March 2009 to its current 13107 in just 3 years, only 1100 points less the all time high. That has to mean something to someone other that the fat cats on Wall Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Pristine View Post
    Dr.Jill Stein wants Medicare aka single payer healthcare for all just like they have in Canada and many other countries. Taxing the rich does work. The rich used to pay up to 90%. Cutting defense spending a huge amount will help. Providing jobs for everybody who wants one will help. Intelligent people should consider all options before making a decision.
    And our 2 most prosperous decades were during those years of high taxes. (50's and 60's)

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Please provide the specific language of the law that will tell you whether you can or cannot live.
    You haven't read these laws you support? You really, really should.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    And our 2 most prosperous decades were during those years of high taxes. (50's and 60's)
    Wars always seem to bring properity...

These hot button topics, abortion, guns etc. are merely a campaign ploy. They deliberately are used to change the focus of the people. It seems to me that republicans are masters of the bafflement. It always reminds of sheep.

To say Obama did nothing is a bit of a stretch. For example no one will ever know what things would now look like if the auto industry failed. Many didn't even know they WERE helped at all.

I do know ONE thing for certain I would not be living on my farm that I've owned for 17 years if I had not received some of the help we garnered from the various stimulus packages. Job loss, real estate crash, DH's two back to back life threatening illness's all culminating in a span of 4 years about wiped us out financially. I suspect many people were helped but never realized.
    The auto bailout was yet another way for Obama to circumvent the law and play to some of his favorite cronies - the unions. GM was taken through a "bankruptcy" but the legal order of distribution was changed from conventional Bankruptcy law- that's basically the difference. Rather than being able to modify its contracts under the Bankruptcy law which would have been harmful to unions, the creditors were cheated in a very big way. Problems resulted from Obama's circumvention on the law in that the contracts that needed modification remained unchanged. Now, we taxpayers have lost $30 billion. (GM wants to buy the government out, but the government won't sll because it will have to admit the $30 billion loss.)

If anyone bothers to be brutally frank with themselves and has a nominal grip on actual politics and not just the blather/sound bites being lobbied around:

We're fakakta either way.

In different aspects depending on which one ends up in office...but neither is going to be a bright and shining star.

But that makes sense considering they just mirror the general public and their inability to act and react intelligently and unbiased whenever a political discussion is being held.

The ridiculous stuff bandied about on these types of threads...*sigh*...election years are the one time the entire country ends up as emotional and ridiculous as horse people.

Although props to Viney for attempting to keep the ridiculousness corraled in one thread. Good try!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Um, I consider myself rational and educated (I do hold a college degree).

For the life of me, I can't figure out why women think that ANY president is going to come in and just say..OK, let's get rid of Abortion rights/let's get rid of Roe vs Wade....Do you folks really believe that is going to happen?

President Obama shouldn't have to be fighting for his political life...he should have done a good job the first four years and then we would ALL be voting for him. He did basically nothing...oh, but wait..NOW he has a plan. Forget the last four years, he's going to fix EVERYTHING in the next four years.

This man is the Emperor with no clothes. And yes, I think he will be voted back into office.

Once again, I consider myself educated and rational..and a registered democrat....but I don't see this country moving FORWARD with Obama. It may not, with Romney...but it's time to try something different.
    It is absolutely about abortion and with this next Presidential choice given that Supreme Court justices are aging and the next Presidential choice could tip the scales one way or the other. Pick a Conservative and abortion rights could disappear.

There is a very interesting movie on Netflix instant right now, made in the early 90"s about reproductive rights now and in the future called "Rain Without Thunder".

Why can't people (women esp) see that abortion right have been eroded again and again, and that the Conservatives admit, state it emphatically they want to repeal Roe v. Wade but yet there are people who think they won't? I find it amazing and sad that in certain states you cannot get an abortion with out driving hundreds of miles to a clinic to even get a consultation about abortion much less an actual abortion. Women's healthcare, women's reproductive health especially is something that some Conservatives seem to wish would just go away.

If Conservatives state point blank their intentions for abortion why don't you think they wouldn't take abortion away given half a chance? Ryan attempted to pass personhood legislation that makes a fertilized egg a full citizen with full rights. Do you want to give control of your reproductive rights to the state? That is the line Conservatives want to draw but if you choose to vote for them fine, just be ready to deal with the consequences and adopt all the unwanted kids, the impoverished mothers who can't afford to raise the children they'll be forced to carry, including those from rape and incest because Ryan made clear in that piece of legislation that those weren't good enough reasons to terminate. No one is making this stuff, no one is over exaggerating the Conservative ideas on women's rights, they make it clear how they feel about and state emphatically what they intend.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    If anyone bothers to be brutally frank with themselves and has a nominal grip on actual politics and not just the blather/sound bites being lobbied around:

We're fakakta either way.

In different aspects depending on which one ends up in office...but neither is going to be a bright and shining star.

But that makes sense considering they just mirror the general public and their inability to act and react intelligently and unbiased whenever a political discussion is being held.

The ridiculous stuff bandied about on these types of threads...*sigh*...election years are the one time the entire country ends up as emotional and ridiculous as horse people.

Although props to Viney for attempting to keep the ridiculousness corraled in one thread. Good try!
    This is VERY true. Anyone bright enough to actually run a country, doesn't want the job.

I personally want to at least get away from one who likes to spend such a great deal of time on vacation, at sporting events, calling up Football teams to thank them for hiring football players (aka Vick/Eagles). So Romney gets my vote.

Oh and one other thing, have none of you noticed where the stock market had been and where it is now?

You do realize that it went from a low of 6469 in March 2009 to its current 13107 in just 3 years, only 1100 points less the all time high. That has to mean something to someone other that the fat cats on Wall Street.
    The economy is set to crash. QE3 has given the Fed the right to print money 'indefinitely" which means that your dollars will be worth less and less. This is a huge issue and the reason that electing Romney is critical to this country. Frankly, I did not think it was possible to avoid an economic collapse until I listened to Romney's plan. Even though we are so close, I now think he can avert this, but only Romney can do it. He is the best presidential candidate in my lifetime.

This is VERY true. Anyone bright enough to actually run a country, doesn't want the job.
    Ayup!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    You haven't read these laws you support? You really, really should.
    I've read it -- there's nothing in it telling you someone else will decide whether you will die or not die.

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/full/
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

What's fair about taxing the rich more than the 99% ?

What ever is taxed, there is less of them/it in the future. What ever is subsidized there is more of them/it.

I would rather have the rich than the poor. ( I am neither the 40 % of either end of the spectrum)

Subsidizing green energy is also unsustainable. Ethanol in gasoline is poor fuel and poor economics. Wind and solar is unsustainable unless you're willing to live like a third world citizen... waiting for the power to come on.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoonlady View Post
    It is absolutely about abortion and with this next Presidential choice given that Supreme Court justices are aging and the next Presidential choice could tip the scales one way or the other. Pick a Conservative and abortion rights could disappear.

There is a very interesting movie on Netflix instant right now, made in the early 90"s about reproductive rights now and in the future called "Rain Without Thunder".

Why can't people (women esp) see that abortion right have been eroded again and again, and that the Conservatives admit, state it emphatically they want to repeal Roe v. Wade but yet there are people who think they won't? I find it amazing and sad that in certain states you cannot get an abortion with out driving hundreds of miles to a clinic to even get a consultation about abortion much less an actual abortion. Women's healthcare, women's reproductive health especially is something that some Conservatives seem to wish would just go away.

If Conservatives state point blank their intentions for abortion why don't you think they wouldn't take abortion away given half a chance? Ryan attempted to pass personhood legislation that makes a fertilized egg a full citizen with full rights. Do you want to give control of your reproductive rights to the state? That is the line Conservatives want to draw but if you choose to vote for them fine, just be ready to deal with the consequences and adopt all the unwanted kids, the impoverished mothers who can't afford to raise the children they'll be forced to carry, including those from rape and incest because Ryan made clear in that piece of legislation that those weren't good enough reasons to terminate. No one is making this stuff, no one is over exaggerating the Conservative ideas on women's rights, they make it clear how they feel about and state emphatically what they intend.
    Romney doesn't support personhood amendment. Most Republicans don't. At our caucus in 2008, it was up for vote and the people all said, "Oh, OK". I stood up and in three minutes it was *unanimously* voted down. Virtually nobody wants that - only a very small minority of people and it will never get any traction. It's just a red herring issue floated out there to take attention from more pressing issues. Sometime in the next four years, I do think we, as a nation, need to have a true dialogue on abortion. I did a thread here and everybody was assuming all kinds of things about what others want. A strong bi-partisan person like Romney is the one to direct such a forum. I had people assuming I was on opposite ends of the spectrum, and none of it was true. I tried to set the parameters of the discussion but people couldn't stay within them because almost everybody is confused. I don't know a single person who supported Roe v Wade in 1973 that has not changed her mind because of what we hear about late term and post-birth abortion. Also, the financing of a woman's abortion is something that should be discussed. It is not an issue for this election.

eta. Ryan is not the presidential candidate. I don't know what he has said about personhood, so I will asssume he supports it for this discussion. But then, Biden would not condemn forced abortions. Neither man is running for president.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I just happen to believe that Reagan was one of the worst presidents in history.

Starting with the deal he made with Iran about the hostages before his swearing in, followed by the Iran-Contra affair, followed by interest rates of up to 23%, followed by the great crash of 1987, followed by saddling the country with the biggest peacetime deficit in history, followed by the Saving and Loan crisis, etc., etc.

I really do not understand how any thinking person could worship at the church of Reagan government.

His brain matched his TV host exterior. I'm convinced that he was a mere puppet of someone or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Are you sure of your facts?
    The only time interest got very high, 22%, was when Carter was president.

The highest % I remember at any time before or since was 16%, which was very high, I agree, but not usurious, as 22% was.
    Don't forget "trickle down economics", the little sound bite the masses are supposed to accept which has brought us new generations of robber barons.

5 members found this post helpful.