The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

"The United States is the only place in this world that celebrates individual freedom."

This has to be one of the most ignorant statements ever posted here. Try telling that to the Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and Brits. As well as the French, Dutch, Belgians, Swiss, and Germans. I'm sure there are many others, but these are a start.

Maybe you disagree with some of their policies, but that doesn't mean that individual freedom (perhaps defined a bit differently) isn't at the core of their government.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

8 members found this post helpful.

I was raised with the old saying "judge a person by their actions, not by their words". Now we have an incumbent president and you can judge his track record. We have a challenger with a track record established in the private and public sectors. Why does it matter what they say in a campaign?

To me you look at their accomplishments in leadership positions. Have they actually shown good leadership? Have they gotten things done despite opposition? Have they been able to build consensus with opposition leaders? How are they in a crisis?

Look at what the candidate has actually DONE and decide if you like it or not.

Campaign promises are just empty words.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    This has to be one of the most ignorant statements ever posted here.
    Consider the source.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    I was raised with the old saying "judge a person by their actions, not by their words". ......Why does it matter what they say in a campaign?...To me you look at their accomplishments in leadership positions.

Look at what the candidate has actually DONE and decide if you like it or not.

Campaign promises are just empty words.
    Totally agree with the ideas in your post. Where I totally disagree is this:

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    We have a challenger with a track record established in the private and public sectors.
    Unfortunately Romney's track record is not good, to put it mildly.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Totally agree with the ideas in your post. Where I totally disagree is this:

Unfortunately Romney's track record is not good, to put it mildly.
    That is a matter of opinion.
    Compared with who's record when HE was running?

Remember, apples to apples, if you want to compare properly.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Oh well, it is a short read. Let's see the "specifics":

1. Energy independance.
    2. Trade, open new markets confront China.
    3. Better schools better access to higher education.
    4. Cut deficit reduce government.
    5. Champion small business, tax reform lower tax rates, cut red tape.

So this "plan" is what is selling you Romney/Ryan supporters ? There are no details but I think Romney/Ryan said that if they provided details they might not get elected.

I actually thought there was more than this to their plan, this plan would never get me a project from a client. Shall I ask the oh, so obvious ?

1.Energy-what energy programs will be supported ? More fracking ? off-shore drilling ? How do these programs get funded ?
    2. Open new trade. To whom, for what how to make American products compete on the global market without outsourcing ?
    Confront China. How, what ?
    3. Better schools better access to higher education. How, voucher ? Less government so how ?
    4. Cut deficit reduce spending. How
    5. Champion small business, tax reform. How ? Take away our deductions and then lower rates-won't reduce taxes or reduce the deficit.

Really this plan is solid enough for you to vote these guys in and then have them fill in the blanks ? That amazes me that anyone can buy into this "plan" and their social changes proposed.

And you call those of us supporting the President's plan dense.....
    I disagree about words. The Romney/Ryan "plan" to fix the economy is above-taken from Romney/s own site. There are no specifics just goals, Like I said this plan would never get me hired by anyone and I am amazed that people can actually support Romney/Ryan based on this. Bar is extremely low for some people.

5 members found this post helpful.

Of course it is (opinion), that's the point. By all means go with what people have actually done and not what they say.

I'll give just one example: the retroactive resignation from Bain. Romney was head of Bain when it did unpleasant things. He denied it; said he'd already resigned. When it was pointed out that he either lied about the resignation or else he lied to the SEC, because the documents filed with the SEC clearly list him as head of Bain during the time in question. Lying to the SEC is not something a President should do. So then his spokesman said that yes, he did resign later but they made Romney's resignation retroactive to before that action took place, therefore he's not really lying when he talks about it because they backdated the resignation letter.

Okay. THAT behavior is not good. It's slimy & sneaky.

Even the auto companies say he's lying about issues.

His money is out of this country in offshore accounts, he physically attacked a gay classmate when he was a senior in HS (old enough to know better), his governership in MA was so poor that he dare not even try to run for a 2nd term.

My opinion, sure, but all those things I listed above are facts.

7 members found this post helpful.

Boy, I don't care where you stand on Obama or gay marriage, if this doesn't bring a tear to your eye, check your pulse:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-...b_2036499.html

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That is a matter of opinion.
    Compared with who's record when HE was running?

Remember, apples to apples, if you want to compare properly.

Well if you want to compare then look at Romney's record as gov of Ma. It's very poor. He vetoed 9oo bills and the legislature overruled 800+ of them. He raised fees and created new ones. He cut education funding and cut aid to the cities and towns which caused most towns to raise their property taxes. He wasn't even here alot of the time. Ma was 47th out 50 states in job creation when Romney was gov. So much for jobs. Some of that was due to his resistance to stem cell research.
    He was elected saying he was prochoice but 2yrs in to his term he decided to run for president and changed his mind about abortion etc.
    He balanced the budget because the state legislature required him to balance the budget.
    He didn't go seeking qualified women for cabinet positions but an organization called MassGap asked both him and his opponent to promise if elected they would hire more women for cabinet posts. That organization presented him with a "binder of women" who would be qualified. He did not go looking for it.
    As the current gov said, Romney liked being a governor in name only, he just didn't want to do the work.
    There's more but maybe you get the idea. but as I 've said before .. don't let the facts stand in your way of voting.

9 members found this post helpful.

Joss Whedon made a great video: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/...ie-apocalypse/.

(sorry if someone posted this already)

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    Well if you want to compare then look at Romney's record as gov of Ma. It's very poor. He vetoed 9oo bills and the legislature overruled 800+ of them. He raised fees and created new ones. He cut education funding and cut aid to the cities and towns which caused most towns to raise their property taxes. He wasn't even here alot of the time. Ma was 47th out 50 states in job creation when Romney was gov. So much for jobs. Some of that was due to his resistance to stem cell research.
    He was elected saying he was prochoice but 2yrs in to his term he decided to run for president and changed his mind about abortion etc.
    He balanced the budget because the state legislature required him to balance the budget.
    He didn't go seeking qualified women for cabinet positions but an organization called MassGap asked both him and his opponent to promise if elected they would hire more women for cabinet posts. That organization presented him with a "binder of women" who would be qualified. He did not go looking for it.
    As the current gov said, Romney liked being a governor in name only, he just didn't want to do the work.
    There's more but maybe you get the idea. but as I 've said before .. don't let the facts stand in your way of voting.
    You know, I have read tirades just like that about all that Obama did and didn't do when he was running for office, the quasi communist groups, the extremist church he belonged to, what he wrote as a professor about politics, what he voted on once a politician.

I say, par for the course, you can bash anyone if you put your "facts" in the context it fits your opinions.

If that works for your way of voting, fine.

It is interesting that no one is commenting on the Benghazi cover up. Is it possible that no one has actually taken time to research what is actually being discussed about the President's lying on what happend on Sept 11, 2012.

The United States is the first country to celebrate individaul freedom. The other countries have followed the US lead.

Because it doesn't exist. There is no Benghazi cover-up. Romney actually had to be called out by both the President and the moderator in the debate because he flat out lied about what Obama said and when he said it.

Quote Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
    It is interesting that no one is commenting on the Benghazi cover up. Is it possible that no one has actually taken time to research what is actually being discussed about the President's lying on what happend on Sept 11, 2012.

The United States is the first country to celebrate individaul freedom. The other countries have followed the US lead.
    Shermy has a twin! I suggest you go read the lengthy Benghazi thread. It has been beaten to death over there.

The U.S. Senate intelligence committee will hold hearings on the failure of the Obama administration on the handling Benghazi.... After the elections.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Or instead google Mormon underwear, yes Romney actually wears Mormon underwear.

Great, now I'm thinking about Romney's underwear. Can someone pass the brain bleach?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Just think about me in my underwear. You'll feel much much better.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
    Just by adding another sentence to your prior statement, doesn't make it any more true.
    Ever lived anywhere outside of the US?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

5 members found this post helpful.

ROFLMAO - I don't even know what that is!! No I don't think I want to be enlightened on what Mormon underwear is head:desk

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Great, now I'm thinking about Romney's underwear. Can someone pass the brain bleach?

and wasn't there news yesterday about a Eastern pipeline... at least, it would make sense to keep it in the country and refine it HERE!! I'd be more for that than sending it to the US.