The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Running/high impact bras for the DD women ??

I'm getting ready to toss out my old bras and need to buy some new ones. Are there any bras out there that really work for the DD runner? I do not want anything like an Enell that you have to clasp 13 hooks....So far it looks like a Freya, but wanted to know if anyone else has found something that really works. I'm tired of doing the double bra thing and I'm tired of chafing (when I forget the body glide)

I hear the new Under Armour bras are really good. Haven't splurged for one yet, so I currently wear a tight sports bra under a tight work out tank with built in. Works well for me, but I'm smaller than you (D).

Head on over to Figleaves.com. I buy all my bras there, sports bras included. They offer sizing in sports bras (not just S-M-L) and the reviews from other customers are fantastic.

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/...E&colour=Black

I have that one. Expensive, but I cannot live without it. The underwire is a must for us bigger girls, and the separate boob-pouches get rid of the horrifyingly large uni-boob-shelf that regular sports bras give me. I'm not going to claim that it's sexy, but it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Head on over to Figleaves.com. I buy all my bras there, sports bras included. They offer sizing in sports bras (not just S-M-L) and the reviews from other customers are fantastic.

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/...E&colour=Black

I have that one. Expensive, but I cannot live without it. The underwire is a must for us bigger girls, and the separate boob-pouches get rid of the horrifyingly large uni-boob-shelf that regular sports bras give me. I'm not going to claim that it's sexy, but it's better.
    Yep..I've got the same one in white. It is by far my favorite out of all the ones that I own.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I have a few Moving Comfort Junos. They're pretty decent at controlling movement, but they tend to stretch a bit, so if you are in between band sizes, I would recommend going down.

Fleet Feet in Raleigh sells them.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I am not quite as big as you, but used to be bigger. I use Moving Comfort Maia. It's not everyone's cup of tea, because it has underwire, but I don't bounce around even on my uber bouncey horse's trot.

I have the Maia..but it hasn't held up as well as the Freya.

I have the "Because She Said So" from Title 9. It's not perfect, but it looks like a normal bra and performs better than layering two lesser sports bras. Title 9 has a pretty good selection in general for the more-endowed.
    ---------------------------

I own a lingerie store and specialize in fittings. I carry the new offering from Panache which has a molded cup and underwire, the Anita extreme control which looks like nothing but hold like crazy without sacrificing comfort or shape, and the Shock Absorber line.

I had some female Marines "field test" my sports bras for me, and they gave good reviews to all, but preferred the Anita (my personal fave, though you may want to go up a cup size over what you normally wear... I do a 32H in this).

Fit is critical to get the right support and most women are wearing a band that is too large. This means your base of support is lacking, and creates issues from there.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like the Shock Absorber bra, worn with an "Assets" support camisole from Target.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I know you said you won't consider it, but I'm a DDD and I love my Enell. I've try so many sports bras and for many years did the regular bra+sports bra combo. I love my Enell. The hooks really aren't bad. Sometimes I'll wear my Enell when I'm doing house chores so the boobs don't get in the way.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingAppy View Post
    I know you said you won't consider it, but I'm a DDD and I love my Enell. I've try so many sports bras and for many years did the regular bra+sports bra combo. I love my Enell. The hooks really aren't bad. Sometimes I'll wear my Enell when I'm doing house chores so the boobs don't get in the way.
    Please do not take this as a snark, but where in the world did women get the idea that 2 poorly fitting bras are better than 1?

That's not a snarky question.

Because when I was in high school 10 years ago, for a girl with DDDs they really didn't have good sports bras. I always wore great bras, but good everyday bras make horrible bras to run in. So really the sports bra keep the boobs in the good bra. Now we have options!

The moving comfort bras didn't do squat to keep me from bouncing, aside from being ridiculously uncomfortable, and I had mine pretty much shredded within a couple months. Definitely not worth the money.

I'm 34DD and I REALLY prefer a regular bra for running over any sports bra I've ever tried. Yeah, they aren't sweat wicking and all, but I get a lot less bounce and am a lot more comfortable in them. My regular, daily, bra is a Wacoal underwire, minimizer and that's what I run in too. It has hard straps and non stretchy fabric. Now, I don't run marathons or anything, just 3-5 miles...the fabric and the underwire might cause trouble over very long distances.

I have 3 Enells and HATE them...hate the way they feel, wear....not for me.

32D here, I have sworn by the CW-X Xtra Support Bra for years for both running and riding. My college cross-country coach recommended it to me after I almost passed out from layering too many wrong-sized sports bras one day in practice. It doesn't look like much, but it controls bounce in all directions, including up, and only has one large hook clasp in the back. CW-X (by Wacoal) really knows what they're doing.

I am a 32DD and LOVE my Panache sports bra. It gives me the best fit and support and the underwire is just the right size for me. Heck, it is more comfortable than the daily bras I have been fitted into. I also have one by Wachoal, but it rarely gets used as I am always grabbing a Panache.

36 ddd/e here.

I have tried all the bras mentioned above. They did nothing or close to it. The only one that works is Enell. If this didn't exist, I wouldn't really be able to ride.

It is ugly & hot, but it is the only one that does squat for me.

Title 9 rates bras with barbells. More barbells= more support. Enell gets 5 barbells, the highest rating.

You can also get Enell from Her Room, Figleaves, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    36 ddd/e here.

I have tried all the bras mentioned above. They did nothing or close to it. The only one that works is Enell. If this didn't exist, I wouldn't really be able to ride.

It is ugly & hot, but it is the only one that does squat for me.

Title 9 rates bras with barbells. More barbells= more support. Enell gets 5 barbells, the highest rating.

You can also get Enell from Her Room, Figleaves, etc.
    Try a smaller band and see if it helps.

I don't quite understand how my 32G/H is held (and held well) by the bras I listed, but you say they did nothing but I do recognize that we are all built differently.

Also, that site that you linked does not carry Panache, Freya, Anita, or Shock Absorber so you don't know how many barbells they would rate them with.