The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default moms, did you KNOW baby's gender before your ultrasound?

I go in for the big ultrasound on Tuesday afternoon. This is my first, after years of trying and having my doctor tell me it was highly unlikely. Thrilled isn't a strong enough word.

So did any of you just KNOW the gender before you found out for sure?

I was certain my baby was a girl, to the point of only having a girl name picked out (also couldn't think of a good boy name) the ultrasound was unmistakable though.

So anyway, really enjoying my son.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

KNowing the gender before finding out will run about 50/50.

You'll be getting lots of premonitions, intuitions and all sorts of feelings as your hormones go a little haywire.

Or you could have all the fun I did and have the US person tell you TWICE about your impending son. And then right after delivery, when the gyn tells you, "Here's your daughter" as he hands her to you...you get to have your very first words as a mom be, "Oh, that can;t be mine." Took me DAYS to think of a girls name, LOL!

But HUGE congrats to you on your pregnancy! How exciting! Have you started pony shopping yet?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Congrats!

I had about a million U/S with DD because she decided that growth wasn't really for her. I was convinced up until she was born that she was going to be a boy, even though they told us that she was a she.

I was ever so wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Default I had no idea going into the US...

I also wasn't prepared for the possibility that the little bugger would keep his legs crossed the whole time and I would go home without finding out ...I bawled the whole way home (freakin' hormones!) He did reveal himself on the second ultrasound though

Good luck and congratulations!!! I hope your little one is less shy than mine

Pony shopping will begin soon. Bf thinks kids need full sized horses because he's into gaited horses, and I think k kids need ponies. So he has to agree with me here eventually

We only have a girl name too, hoping its a girl. And really hoping I don't get a surprise at delivery like misty! I'm keeping all my receipts just in case. And most of the stuff I have picked out is gender neutral anyway.

Someone I work with does have a little welsh mare his daughter outgrew. Wonder if he still has her... bf's son needs a pony too.

I thought I did, but no. I dreamed it was a boy, felt like it was a boy, the wives tales said boy and my MIL had her palm read at a party by someone that told her I was pregnant with a boy. All were wrong, I had 4 scans, all girl and that's exactly what I had.

My mom did the ring on a string test over my belly and it was correct with both of them. I didn't know myself though. The funny thing was I flat out KNEW beyond a shadow of a doubt with all my foals though! That includes her last foal before the mare was even inseminated! She was named before conception.

We had two girls, 3 years apart. I didn't have a clue about the first -- we let her be a surprise. The only reason we knew #2 was a girl was because of the u/s. No maternal inkling at all. Easy, very similar pregnancies.

Baby Surprise, 5 years later, I was virtually certain was going to be a boy (and I was right!) because the pregnancy was very different from my first two. It was my first one with morning sickness, the little guy was positioned differently (way, Way, WAY out in front!).
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

PS - Big congrats to you, Hampton Bay!! I understand the gravity and awesomeness of a successful pregnancy after a long wait. That's really wonderful.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Well, I didn't really "know" one way or the either but it was mostly wishful thinking that we were having a girl. Everyone else thought so. Then when the technician started the ultrasound it was plain and clear! She looked at me and said "Do you know what that is?" And I believe my response was something like, "A boy? Shut up! Is it really a boy?" followed by laughter and astonishment My hubby didn't really say anything at all for a minute. Luckily, we had both named picked out and I'm just excited that we know, and we're healthy so far. Little man should be dropping around February and I will totally be happy to have him out of me!

Congrats! I thought I was having a girl- my husband was certain- so much so he refused to discuss boy names. I was ready to kill him. To his credit though- he was right We kept it a secret til she was born. I almost wish I'd found out sooner as I had some complications and was pretty out of it when she was born. I kind of feel like I missed the fun and excitement of finding out.

I was sure my third baby was a girl. I wallpapered the nursery in pink paper, bought girl outfits, etc.

I was right. 7 lbs. 11 oz.

From the instant I knew I was pregnant I only referred to "her" and "she", and people thought I was nuts. I think sometimes you just know.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Yonder View Post
    PS - Big congrats to you, Hampton Bay!! I understand the gravity and awesomeness of a successful pregnancy after a long wait. That's really wonderful.
    Thanks! It's been heart-wrenching to watch everyone around me get pregnant so easily, and many times while trying not to, only to whine and gripe in front of me, and to be told it wouldn't happen for me after a few years of trying with my ex. BF knows first-hand too. We were both beyond shocked, and to say this baby is so wanted just doesn't begin to describe how happy we both are. It's truly a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    I was sure my third baby was a girl. I wallpapered the nursery in pink paper, bought girl outfits, etc.

I was right. 7 lbs. 11 oz.

From the instant I knew I was pregnant I only referred to "her" and "she", and people thought I was nuts. I think sometimes you just know.
    I've been calling this one a "she" too. I feel weird calling it an "it", seems so impersonal and non-human. But then again, sometimes I think I want a girl just because they are easier to get into ponies.

Cassandra, I'm only a month behind you, end of March! I want this one to be here too, but more because I want to meet her. I think I spend more time with my hand on my belly trying to feel for the kicks and punches than probably a half dozen pregnant women combined.

Default Absolutely, I was 3 for 3

I knew in the first trimester what all three of my babies were. I just KNEW.

Congratulations, babies are a gift from God.

I had a pretty strong feeling that our baby was a girl.

My husband kept saying he thought we were having a boy, but I somehow convinced him long before the revealing ultrasound that we were having a girl.

We now have a two month old little lady. We love our little bug!!

http://instagr.am/p/Px_V6TtrHq/

Yeah, I knew it was a boy. Immediately before I miscarried pregnancy #2, I had a dream about a curly-haired cherub looking boy. It was so vivid I can still see it in my mind now. I think that image always stuck with me. So when I got pregnant unexpectedly four years later, I just knew it was a boy....

Congrats, HB!!!!!! I know you wanted this and I'm glad you will soon be a mama!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Well, I don't have any of my own, but my SIL just had her second last week. Both she, my MIL, and I knew the whole time that they were both girls. I have no idea how that worked. She also didn't find out the gender ahead of time with either.

I have a strong feeling that my first will be a boy, and I'm not even pregnant. Guess we'll find out in a few years if I'm right or not.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Congrats! I'm due in April -- lots of spring COTH babies!!

I have no idea about gender though I refer to "him."

Flash, I hope baby dreams are accurate -- I had a dream two nights ago that the hospital's rooms were full when I went to deliver. I went in a janitor's closet that smelled like plywood and new drywall, leaned over and the baby just kind of fell out into my hands. It was so much more pleasant than the birth of my first...would love for that one to come true. Alas, unlikely...but it WOULD be quite the birth story. I'd take that over knowing the gender any day.

I asked the very same question about a year ago on OT day!

In my case, my gut just knew it was a girl. Sure enough, the ultrasound confirmed and I have an absolutely adorable 5.5 month old sleeping in her swing a few feet away.

So happy for you! Be sure to let us know the results.