The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First time out

I took both my ponies to a driving competition today. For one it was his first time out, the other his second. Morning was showing classes: I watched. I really am not interested in them, but good to watch.

I drove both ponies in slalom, cones and POD. My groom rang to say she couldn't make it on Thursday, so that meant I was forever hitching and unhitching.

Young pony found it fairly overwhelming at first and we had some problems going near all the people and the side shows. By the end of the day he had settled and he did the cones and obstacles for the POD really well.

Little pony was great. He's getting better all the time, although he still doesn't really like to stand still too much - unless he's beside the truck. We won the POD!!!! Really thrilled with him, especially as I was getting the rules explained to me as we were walking the cones and obstacles!

I really want to do some CDTs with him this year. Had lots of people asking if I would be out - and lots of positive comments about how he has come on since the last time we were out.

A friend was there taking photos, so if there are any decent ones, I'll post them.

Congratulations! Love to see pictures, of course!!!

What is POD?

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    What is POD?
    Precision obstacle driving.

Drive a short dressage test in a 30m x 60m arena.
    Drive a cones course with up to 12 obstacles. Judged on accuracy and closest to time.
    Drive 4 hazards in the arena. Judged on speed. Hazards are usually made with cones - but anything can be used, including existing trees etc.

Yesterday everyone completed each phase before moving on to the next. If there is a big enough area and enough helpers, competitors can go straight from one phase to the next.

I'm still buzzing.

Thats great! Congrats on the good day