The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Care magazines in the mail

So I love love love getting mail. For some reason it makes me vary happy (well except for bills of course ) I love to subscribe to good magazines to ensure that I get my mail fix

I get so much amazing information right off this message board, but what good horse care publications would you reccommend?

I was looking at Horse Journal as a possibility as well as Equus magazine. I am really looking for something that focuses on horse care and health. Are there any others out there I don't know about? Thanks!

i love Equus. I used to get the HORSE but it was pretty technical for me. More forVets and Vet Tech's.

Horse Journal disguises itself as "research" and does nothing to refute the fact that it is merely a bunch of anecdotes being put forward as evidence. Worthless IMO.

Equus is a little too touchy-feely "my pretty pony" for me.

Practical Horseman is OK and I do get it but usually only skim it and it is perpetually on the "cut list", close to being eliminated if I'm in a bad mood when renewal time comes around.

COTH is a must--love it! They have done a lot better in recent years in getting away from nothing but horse show reports and delving into breeding, training, and horse care articles.

I also get Horse and Hound from the UK and it is GREAT, my only regret being that a lot of products they use over there are not available here. It is pure horse envy looking in on a relatively tiny country with SO MUCH horsey stuff going on!

The Horse is fairly good, but has "dumbed down" quite a bit recently IMO.

I get Eventing magazine as I'm a USEA member and that's fairly good but obviously a niche publication.

For your specific "want" I'd say The Horse is best, but pick up a couple of issues of COTH or look at the online articles, too.
    Click here before you buy.

I've found much to like in The Horse.

I love equus magazine for care, health and knowledge. I do like practical horseman as well. I'm not too fond of horse illustrated, but it is cheap- 10.00 a year, so I keep renewing it for something to look at when bored.

The Horse is my favorite

The Horse is my favorite too, as well as their email newsletter and website that has thousands of articles archived. Equus comes in as number 2. I tried the Horse Journal because they had a promotional price, but I won't renew as I don't think there is enough good content. I think it was a lot better 10 years ago.

I like the Horse. It is the only magazine I pay for. However, I will say that it makes me paranoid. After every issue I have a new thing to worry about: blister beetles! EHV! etc etc It isn't alarmist or anything, it just puts ideas in my head.

Years ago I thought Equus was good, but the last few time I saw it, it didn't seem to have much, but that was a v. limited sample.