The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeder's Cup Traditions

I'm thinking of having a Breeder's Cup party. I haven't paid too much attention to this event as a social event, and my overall impression is of the great horses who have won it, and Change, because the venue is always changing.

Does anyone have any fun ideas about party themes or traditions regarding the Breeder's Cup? My first idea is to have little place card photos of past winners positioned on the food tables. Maybe put sprinters with the appetizers, stayers with desserts... ...Classic winners with the main dishes?

Other than that, I'm not coming up with anything. Ideas, anyone? Drinks? Special foods? Decor?

Breeders' Cupcakes!!!!

Every year that we don't go, we draw a chart on a dry erase or chalk board, races across the top, people playing down the left side. Everyone picks a horse in each race and writes it down before the races start.

You award 10 points for every win, 7 for 2nd, 5 for 3rd, and 1 point for 4th. Tally them up at the end of the day, or update after every race. Play for bragging rights, or have everyone buy into a pool, winner take all, or otherwise have prizes. It's REALLY fun, gets everyone invested in the races, and starts some good conversations. (Nooooooo, I'm not bitter about a competitor getting full 10 points for Johar's win in the '03 Turf despite the dead heat, thus ultimately denying me the win. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN 8.5 POINTS!) It can also be interesting if you let people change their picks, like my uncle last year who rooted for Hansen all the way in the Juvenile, forgetting that he'd written down Union Rags.

Have a GREAT time, whatever you do.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Sounds fun! I used to have Derby parties with just the family and they were a blast. We always had a "best hat" contest, since hats are a big part of the BC too that might be fun.

Here's a link to some ideas, including recipes for the official BC drink "Down the Stretch" and the Breeders Cupcakes
    http://www.business2community.com/sp...lassic-0309665
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    Sounds fun! I used to have Derby parties with just the family and they were a blast. We always had a "best hat" contest, since hats are a big part of the BC too that might be fun.

Here's a link to some ideas, including recipes for the official BC drink "Down the Stretch" and the Breeders Cupcakes
    http://www.business2community.com/sp...lassic-0309665
    That's a great start:
    purple and yellow flowers (they use mums; I'll use what I find)
    purple and yellow cupcakes (blueberry with lemon icing; I might add some other flavors)
    purple mixed drinks (anything is better than a mint julep, at least, my mint juleps).

Slewdledo:
    Every year that we don't go, we draw a chart on a dry erase or chalk board, races across the top, people playing down the left side. Everyone picks a horse in each race and writes it down before the races start.

You award 10 points for every win, 7 for 2nd, 5 for 3rd, and 1 point for 4th. Tally them up at the end of the day, or update after every race.

You know, the chart sounds much more fun than just betting on one race because I'll bet the suspense builds. I really like this idea.