The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Well, the models all predict wet snow in the Appalachians so that means problems in eastern KY, but central KY is about as blase as you can get even though our rain the past couple of days is coming from Sandy's outer bands which says to me that we could get snow here or even to our west, or a LOT of rain, or nothing, depending on which way those converging fronts meet up.
    Dad is a weather buff and remembers that 1938 hurricane so he's as bad as Mr. Blue - thankfully he lives far away and isn't a phone person so I don't have to hear it, it'll all come in the mail!

Good luck everyone and stay safe.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Still does Chall. Sweetened and regular. I always have cans of it, mostly for baking. The main reason I use milk/cream is for coffee. But I'm used to non-dairy powdered creamer and have tons of that too.

If we get a few days of lost power, I usually do a lot of baking so will probably use up a lot of the canned milk. The local volunteer FD, Hwy D and tree guys all end up here during power outtages for hot coffee, hot food, bathroom break and a ziploc full of baked sugar-high.

Do you/Mr.Blue think we are in for the same type of power-outages as Irene and the October thing? I'm watching the news and it seems like the end of the world, but surely CL&P is more prepared?!?!

I pitched a fit and finally got my hubs to agree to a generator and by the time we got to the store they had TWO left out of 327 that they had in stock 24 hours previous, WHEW!

we're pretty much buttoned up, just a few things to take care of today, biggest issue is I am overhorsed by two (NOT MINE) and I'm really concerned about them living outside throughout the storm. Calling around today to see if someone has a couple extra stalls for a couple days....... maybe I'll get lucky.

Dad is a weather buff and remembers that 1938 hurricane so he's as bad as Mr. Blue - thankfully he lives far away and isn't a phone person so I don't have to hear it, it'll all come in the mail!
    Must be a guy thing! Mr Blue spent all of last night trying to overplan The Hurricane. (spoken in serious tones)

He went out looking for a crank radio...I reminded him that we have a generator. Fill everything up with water? We have a generator.

Do you/Mr.Blue think we are in for the same type of power-outages as Irene and the October thing? I'm watching the news and it seems like the end of the world, but surely CL&P is more prepared?!?!
    Most definitely a possibility. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we're out for 4 days or less.

CL&P has called twice with recorded messages stating how they're improved and also listing the things we should be doing to be prepared. They did screw up last 2 times...but in some ways I don't blame them for the worst of it.
    With Irene...well, it's so rare that CT gets hits with that much rain and wind. Hurricanes bounce along the coast and lose a *lot* of steam that way before they get here. Also the biggest issues with Irene was trees/limbs down and not having enough tree removal guys. You can't repair lines that still have trees on them. But they also lied about how long that would take.
    The snowstorm at halloween was a real screw up. They didn't believe we'd really get that much snow, and they didn't want to spend the extra on tree guys again. Tried to save money because they lost some with Irene. CL&P isn't hurting for money.

But all in all, too many people just don't prepare for serious weather. Just makes sense to be prepared for the worst, just in case. I never worry too much about it, we're always prepared. I kinda look forward to it...except for keeping Mr Blue calm, LOL!

But yeah, we'll be without power for some time most likely. Thankfully there are a lot more leaves down this year at this time, so less leaves to catch the wind. But it's also been a wet, warm fall and the ground is soft and wet already. Tons more rain = ground washout and saturation. Add wind = tree roots popping out of the ground as they get pushed over. Probably a lot of oak big branches down and lots of other smaller nut trees being uprooted. (nut trees still have leaves right now)

Takes a while to clear the roads and lines of trees, which is what makes restoring power take so long.

Do you have a generator? If not, check online for your local Patch. Here's yours IIRC:

http://newtown.patch.com/

That's going to have your most current and local news on recharging/water stations in your town.

gabby.gator...you're going to love having a generator! Mr Blue pitched a fit years ago when I told him the ONLY thing I wanted for our anniversary He kept mumbling about having a "husband" and not a wife, LOL! Thankfully he's a "go big or go home" type guy so bought a honking huge one. After the next outtage, he stopped complaining and started thinking it was all his idea.

When you have horses at home, I don't think a generator is really optional if you have well water. Basically having one just for water is a huge bonus. The 3/4 important things are: well, furnace, fridge and hot water heater. If you don't have a woodstove, just furnace and well makes life MUCH easier.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    You think? Here's a breakdown of why CL&P customers were without power for so long during Tropical Storm Irene and Snowstorm Alfred in 2011.

CL&P hadn't paid their bill(s) to out of state line companies for previous services, so they refused to saddle up until the bills were settled. Surrounding states (who paid their bills) contracted the extra man power needed in the closest vicinity to their areas. Because of CL&P's reputation to blow off their debts, no line company would respond unless they were paid up front for their services. By this point everybody within hundreds of miles was committed elsewhere, so they had to search farther a field (i.e. Arizona) for the extra man power. The fleet of trucks would take days/weeks to traverse the country to get here, further slowed by the storm damage on the roadways.

When Irene hit on Friday, CL&P chose to wait to deploy their own linemen till Monday, so they wouldn't have to pay overtime for weekend work.

After Irene, about 20% of CL&P's customer base was without power for an average of two weeks. After Alfred, about 80% of their customer base was without power for 2-3 weeks.

Without the demand for power in state (sold at a specific price point that is non-negotiable), CL&P was free to sell power out of state to the highest bidder. Both nuclear plants were generating at 100% during the storms and afterwards, and moratoriums were placed on all work, to not risk the plants tripping offline and jeopardizing their profits.

CL&P made the most money in the history of the company in the last fiscal quarter of 2011.

With all the propaganda on the news about 'be prepared to do without this time', I'd heed the advice. I'm not holding my breath CL&P will take care of their customers.

ETA: When power hadn't been restored within a reasonable period of time, and all phone calls went to an outdated recorded message, customers started showing up at Customer Service Centers, wanting answers. CL&P chose to hire armed security guards to roust them from the premises.
    Last edited by OnThinIce; Oct. 28, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Good gravy, the more I read about this and watch the news, the more thankful I am that I'm not moving to the DC area until next weekend. Hoping there will be power at the house when I get there. Might need to reschedule shipping my horse out if it hits as bad as people are thinking it might.

You all stay safe.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

He in Coastal NC it is really kicking up and has been sustained for a while now. On the time line, we are not even close to the predicted worst. A few trees are down and we will start worrying about tidal flooding once this passes us and the wind shifts. My horses may find themselves standing in some flooding. Thankfully, it is not too cold here.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    And, this I didn't know. Apparently, in some parts of the country you can actually get boxed real milk that has a similar shelf life. I'll have to take a cruise around Wegman's next time I go and see if they have that. Though, I think I'd rather have the almond milk. I just can't imagine how milk processed to stay fresh in a box would taste. At least, with the almond milk, you don't expect it to taste like real milk.
    http://www.bordenshelfstablemilk.com.../borden_BQ.htm

:

gabby.gator...you're going to love having a generator! Mr Blue pitched a fit years ago when I told him the ONLY thing I wanted for our anniversary He kept mumbling about having a "husband" and not a wife, LOL! Thankfully he's a "go big or go home" type guy so bought a honking huge one. After the next outtage, he stopped complaining and started thinking it was all his idea.

When you have horses at home, I don't think a generator is really optional if you have well water. Basically having one just for water is a huge bonus. The 3/4 important things are: well, furnace, fridge and hot water heater. If you don't have a woodstove, just furnace and well makes life MUCH easier.
    well, I pushed harder than normal, as the hubs is scheduled to be in the hospital getting chemo starting Monday morning (but I think we might not go) and I was really worrying about everything that has to get done around here, that I would be doing alone, AND without power. So I had a bit of a meltdown and off to Cabela's we went

right now I'm still trying to make arrangements for the last horse without a stall, then they'll all be inside. We have a really big fireplace, and enough room in the living room that we can all camp out if we had to live without the furnace, but we won't, cuz we have a GENERATOR, LOL

Oh, so sorry about your husband.

Yes, I'd be a bit of a wreck with a hurricane coming on top of other stresses.

Having the generator is such a load off of your mind. It just melts away the panic of having no power. Our only big "get ready" is making sure all the laundry is done. The washer/dryer is one of the few things I didn't have hooked into the generator panel. Generator is more than big enough, just decided to give myself a laundry break if the power goes out.

Can you add bedding to your aisle? Maybe an aisle guard or fence panel to close off part of an aisle or corner for an extra stall? Or split a box stall into 2 wide standing stalls?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Right now Cuomo is giving his press conference. All trains, subways stopping at 7 tonight - I think buses at 9? They are going to personally keep an eye on LIPA's operations as they were not accountable at all last time.

I can't believe they haven't cancelled Belmont, although they have moved the races up. Anyone know how vulnerable they are? The estimates for storm surge just keep increasing. Would think they might consider shipping them back to Saratoga...

I have a good, sturdy house, and my BO is so conscientious. Going up for a ride now. My guy is out 24/7 with a small run-in shed. But she's thinking of bringing them in the indoor. Think in addition to putting his contact info on his halter again, I'm removing his turnout sheet. Who cares about coat - would rather he not get tangled up for whatever reason...

Guy coming tomorrow to weld my stainless steel chimney for my hardly used woodstove (allergies) back in place - the bottom fell off last spring.

Not liking so many serious faces.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

For those of you in NoVa area, if you end up w/o power and want/need to purchase a small generator, I'm driving out on Saturday Nov 3. If hubs is out of power in VA this week, I'll be grabbing our loaned generator back from BIL, but I would have room for a couple of small ones. I'm renting a van to haul the dogs, me and assorted crap out. I know generators are sold out over there, but they're available here. Also, talked to the gal who is hauling my horse on Nov 7 and right now, my mare is the only one on the trailer and she said she would be happy to haul extra out if there was a need.

Hopefully, no one will need anything but I wanted to toss that out there just in case.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

^BuddyRoo, if we wind up without power for a few days I would likely take you up on that. I'm hoping here in Fredericksburg to escape the worst of it, but you never know. We have plenty of food, water, lanterns and batteries, and a gas stove to cook on. But I would hate to lose all the food in my fridge/freezer for sure!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

We are good to go here, got a generator for the house and barn. Horses are all tucked in clean stalls with hay. Hope it passes over fast, but looks like that will not be the case!

Oh, so sorry about your husband.

Yes, I'd be a bit of a wreck with a hurricane coming on top of other stresses.

Having the generator is such a load off of your mind. It just melts away the panic of having no power. Our only big "get ready" is making sure all the laundry is done. The washer/dryer is one of the few things I didn't have hooked into the generator panel. Generator is more than big enough, just decided to give myself a laundry break if the power goes out.

Can you add bedding to your aisle? Maybe an aisle guard or fence panel to close off part of an aisle or corner for an extra stall? Or split a box stall into 2 wide standing stalls?
    thanks re hubby, it's a stressful road, one we've already been down,

generator is all ready to go, we tested it and everything! I have been cooking and baking all day so we have lots of goodies to munch on and won't need the oven. LOTS of cookies.

also solved the horsie issue, neighbor is going to take one and the other we're building a temp stall with panels, so we're just a little bit away from being all buttoned up!

Haven't seen anybody mention this but I know from having our power go out for nine days during an ice storm, a battery powered radio can make you feel less isolated and keep you up to date on when power will be restored. God bless all of you and keep you safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Would the marker stay on through mud/water/various other goops that they may wander through? I think I'll plan on doing it anyways. I made her a dogtag with her name, my name and phone number today to tie into her mane.

I'm more worried about losing power, above all things. The barn is sturdy and there are no trees in the area to fall on it.
    Maybe leave it to dry then layer clear nail polish over it?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It only just occurred to me. What those of us at "home" in the path of the storm have to deal with is bad enough... but to be IN DC having to ship out of the city, it just seems like a nightmare.
    We were there last night. They moved all of todays classes up, beginning at 6 AM to allow everyone to get shipped out early. Hopefully everyone who needs to get up and down the east coast today will make it safely. Most likely everyone who wasn't showing today shipped out yesterday.

I'd imagine the temporary stabling at PGEC can't be dismantled in time to save all of it, although so far, its still not bad here. We're expecting the worst of it between tomorrow morning and Tuesday night.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about my horse this year. Last year the entire barn flooded and the creek cut off access to one of the fields! It was a horrible mess.

Now my horse is snug in a better barn (with no creek running through the aisle!) and I didn't even have to prepare anything. (AND her Nibblenet just arrrived so that should keep her busy).

The barn has a generator and so does my house.
    The only things not connected to the generator in the house are the oven and the washer/dryer.

Wait...so I can't cook or do laundry. OH DARN!!!

Must be a guy thing! Mr Blue spent all of last night trying to overplan The Hurricane. (spoken in serious tones)

But all in all, too many people just don't prepare for serious weather. Just makes sense to be prepared for the worst, just in case. I never worry too much about it, we're always prepared. I kinda look forward to it...except for keeping Mr Blue calm, LOL!

^^^. This.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/