The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cashela, check the spark plugs on your generator. Ours wouldn't start either; we hadn't been running it once a month or so as we should have. But with new spark plugs and some sort of quick-start cleaning stuff my DH got, it's now running again.
    We always have a pretty good supply of canned and dried foods that we can use. Our gas grill also has a burner on the side, so we can make french toast
    The pony is boarded, and things are as secure as possible there. Water tanks & buckets will all be filled, hay loft is full. The only thing I still could do is to make her a neck strap with her info on it. I'll read the links to find out how to best do that. If it got bad enough to evacuate her, I'd be screwed, as I don't have a trailer. I'd have to ride her out
    Hopefully we will all be preparing in vain!

Quote Originally Posted by Underthebridge View Post
    Milk in the box is pretty good.
    Agreed. If you chill it, it's very hard to tell the difference. Room temperature, it's a little odd. I've been using milk boxes for years... We keep a few on hand in case we run out of milk.

/reminds self to fill gas tank tonight, and get tag for horse ID
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Another tip for those of you with gas powered generators: when you finish using them, add a product called Stabil to the gas tank. Today's gasoline all has ethanol in it, an alcohol product that basically gums up carburators when it sits for any length of time, rendering them difficult if not impossible to start.
    Also a good idea to do this to any gas motor that sits for any extended periods.

Tomorrow AM I'll be writing my cell phone number on my horse's (white) foot with a Sharpie marker. Don't want to risk a tag braided into the mane or tail getting blown away!

What's the plan for WIHS? I'm thinking of those horses in temporary stalls out on the street..
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks. I lack the tool to take the spark plug out. I'm hoping when my uncle comes up tomorrow that he has one The dang thing isn't that old. I really hope we can get it working.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    What's the plan for WIHS? I'm thinking of those horses in temporary stalls out on the street..

And...they have to go back out to Prince Georges before they can ship out!!!!

Wondering if the powers that be have put any thought into this at all?!?!?!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Put the hay in a hay net that is to be soaked and stick it in a muck tub, that way after the hay is good and soaked just pull the hay net out and keep the muck tub full of water that you used to soak the hay in for next time. (dont tip it out)
    I would also take a long rope (or lunge line) and hang it over a rafter then attach that to the hay net, it way you can hang the soaked hay to drip a bit before you offer it to pony. AND it will be easier to pull it out with a "pully" then straight out of the tub.

Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    I just went to the store, and picked up some water jugs. I will be saving all my empty water bottles from this week, and filling them up. I'm a little nervous about the horses, but will be making name tags for them tomorrow. Not quite sure what to do about the pony, I have to soak his hay...really hoping we don't lose power for long- or at all!

Once the wind picks up, I'm stuck, and have to hunker down. The ferries don't run with 60mph wind gusts! Plus side, my employers have a generator, and I already told them I'd be coming over for showers if needed, lol. I can also get water for the horses from the fire station, which is a few minutes down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    And...they have to go back out to Prince Georges before they can ship out!!!!

Wondering if the powers that be have put any thought into this at all?!?!?!
    It only just occurred to me. What those of us at "home" in the path of the storm have to deal with is bad enough... but to be IN DC having to ship out of the city, it just seems like a nightmare.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post
    Tomorrow AM I'll be writing my cell phone number on my horse's (white) foot with a Sharpie marker. Don't want to risk a tag braided into the mane or tail getting blown away!
    Would the marker stay on through mud/water/various other goops that they may wander through? I think I'll plan on doing it anyways. I made her a dogtag with her name, my name and phone number today to tie into her mane.

I'm more worried about losing power, above all things. The barn is sturdy and there are no trees in the area to fall on it.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It only just occurred to me. What those of us at "home" in the path of the storm have to deal with is bad enough... but to be IN DC having to ship out of the city, it just seems like a nightmare.
    I our case, they have to go back to PGEC and then ship to Cleveland....uggh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I hope it's not as bad as projected and everyone stays safe!

My husband has been on hold for three hours waiting to cancel a flight to Boston on Monday.

Supposedly strawberry pop tarts are Walmart's best selling item where a hurricane is predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by gdolapp View Post
    The NAVY sent the fleet out to sea yesterday at Norfolk VA this could potentially be a seriouse situation for the Entire east coast. .
    They do that everytime a hurricane or strong storm threatens our area. I live about 45 minutes from Norfolk. We knew a few days ago the Navy was pulling out. Generally that does tell the locals to take heed and get ready but often they do that and the storm goes the other way and it's just a fire drill. They obviously can't take chances with Aircraft Carriers...big expensive ships...

We are expecting tropical storm force winds here and heavy rain. It's already raining and somewhat windy but not too bad. Irene rolled over us with little damage last year because were used to this nonsense being hit much more often than inland areas.

Having been in some bad storms though like Fran that hit a totally unprepared central NC in 1996...make preparations and be prepared for an extended power outage...that probably more than anything unless you are in flood prone areas. Get extra water, food, animal feed, gas for a gennie if you have one, and collect light things that can blow around and be dangerous. Get some good wine, a book and chill out.

The storms are bad enough but the misery of dealing with life without power for extended time is worse than you'd expect. No hot showers (unless you have city water and gas hot water heater), cooking can be tough, lighting, no computer, etc...oh and for those of us on wells, no power means no water. This is a major problem with livestock and our biggest reason to own a 5K generator. We tested it today and stocked up on good non ethanol gas. I still have a few things to do tomorrow but I'm mostly ready. Fighting a stomach flu so I'm not quite as motivated as usual.

Thanks, Munching! My boyfriend is on the fire dept. so if things get bad, we will be hanging out at one of the stations, and I have used the water to soak hay before. I also told my employers to expect me using the hoses at their house, lol. (yay for generators! And employers that do tree work, lol, and have more chainsaws than anybody I've ever met)

At least it's all locals that are left, so we don't get any ill-informed seasonal people panicking! I will be picking up some more stuff tomorrow.

Anybody else having very creepy "quiet before the storm" weather? It has been eerily still, warm, and quiet here the last three days...NOT usual October weather! Even the South shore, which is rough and wavy, has been flat calm. It would be creeping me out even if I did t know about the storm.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Some reading material -

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...paredness.html

Make sure you have your insurance contact info for after storm damage; and take detailed video and pictures NOW before anything is damaged. If you have damage; video everything before you start cleaning up.

For post storm cleanup -
    gloves
    face mask
    safety glasses
    plain bleach
    shop vac / wet vac
    submersible pump
    fans
    dehumidifier

http://www.floodsafety.com/national/property/cleanup/

Hope everyone is prepared and stays safe!
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Would the marker stay on through mud/water/various other goops that they may wander through? I think I'll plan on doing it anyways. I made her a dogtag with her name, my name and phone number today to tie into her mane.

I'm more worried about losing power, above all things. The barn is sturdy and there are no trees in the area to fall on it.
    As long as you use permanent marker and write your phone number on a clean, dry hoof (no hoof dressings!) it will stay on. Eventually it will wear off or it will be removed when your horse is shod... but for a few days, it's a good solution.

Default Rechargeable/Solar Power Supply

It's too late for this storm, but maybe for next time: http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Def...ity&catid=1721

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    And, this I didn't know. Apparently, in some parts of the country you can actually get boxed real milk that has a similar shelf life. I'll have to take a cruise around Wegman's next time I go and see if they have that. Though, I think I'd rather have the almond milk. I just can't imagine how milk processed to stay fresh in a box would taste. At least, with the almond milk, you don't expect it to taste like real milk.
    That's the kind of milk (the regular one) most sold in France.. the long lasting one. My kids, when little, would take one sip and refuse to finish their glass. We had to go hunt for fresh milk which not every store carried in the area.
    I am not a milk drinker so I can't tell.

Not looking forward to this at all. Spent part of the day getting everything in the yard put away, tested the generator and plugged in the camper trailer to charge the batteries so we can use that if needed.

At the barn we have already filled up pretty much anything that can hold water since they are on well water. I am on city water at my house so I can always fill containers with water there and drive it up to the barn, did that last year. After the 2 storms we had here in CT last year I ordered these just in case http://www.bitofbritain.com/H2Go_Bag_p/3866.htm. Hopefully I won't need them! Barn owner also brought a few days worth of hay from the hay barn into the main barn.

The worst of it is that both hubby and I are in the public safety field and will have to work during the storm. He is director of Emergency Management for a local town and I am a 911 dispatcher for another town. Since once we get to work neither of us have any idea when we are going to get home or if we will be able to get home, I get the added bonus of having to bring all 3 of the dogs to work with me. It's a pain but it is nice not having to worry about them. I can park my car inside the sallyport so they are out of the weather and I am able to open the windows of the car for air.

Tomorrow I have to pack up clothes for a couple days for me, and food and water for the dogs and what ever else we may need.

At least if we lose power I won't loose too much food. My refriderator died last week and we I pretty much already lost everything!! Got the new one delivered Friday and I picked up the bare minimum until after the storm.

Oh and I believe the boxed real milk is sold under the label of Parmelat of something close to that.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Out here on the coast flooding will also be an issue in addition to power outages. The good news is that with 8-10 inches of rain coming through tuesday, you can set up rain barrels and be good on water! It's not too late to evacuate if you are coastal NJ, NY, and north. On delmarva the Wicomico Equestrian Center and Harrington-DE fairgrounds are open to horses needing shelter. Bring your own everything (feed, bedding, buckets, and security). Colonial Downs is open (ditto on bringing everything you need, and bring a stall guard as there are no doors on stalls at CD. I assume the VA Horse Center is open too, but haven't seen anything official. I have contact numbers if anyone needs them.