The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Lame Horse

I went out to the barn, brought in the 17hh giant and started grooming him. That was when I noticed this:

Right knee (inside) swollen:
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...-34-15_132.jpg

And then this (left tendon) :
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...-33-40_970.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-25_740.jpg

Luckily there is a vet clinic right on the property (BO - animal chiro - owns it and shares it with a couple vets) and someone was able to look him over. I was told to put poultice on, put him on stall rest and see how lame he was tomorrow. If he's worse call vet and if he's the same, then continue to cold hose the leg, bute and put on poultice.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...-52-26_615.jpg

I figure he was being chased or something and scrambling in the mud, that has taken over part of the pastures in the last two weeks, and clipped his knee with his hoof and has a small tear or strain to the tendon....

Sorry. The first tendon picture looks like it has a spot of blood on it. Is it possible there is a puncture in there?

It doesn't look too swollen to ultrasound.

It was just disappointing.

There are no punctures, though there are a couple scraps: one on the left leg and three or four on the right.

I'm going to see how bad it is tomorrow before calling the vet out.

Bummer, hope he's doing well tomorrow. What is the fencing there? in the 1st tendon pic there looks to be 2 horizontal marks --just above coronet and below fetlock--consistent with getting hoof hung over a fence wire. I've seen tendon sheath swelling like that from exactly that situation, so thought I'd point it out.

Hoping he's just reacting to the scrapes with the lower leg swelling. Sometimes the tiniest little scratches can cause them to just blow up.

Poor dude. He must have had a day!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

The non-horsey guy who does odd jobs around the barn said he saw the boss guy in the herd chasing everyone around, to the point where he felt the need to separate them.

Of course the BO totally dismissed this, as the guy has no clue about horses. Yet, when big boss man gets hungry because not enough hay was put out, he goes after everyone else.

Things happen though, and he could have been rolling near the fence or the shelter etc and done something that way too.

She has wire fencing, it's similar to the hotcote fencing that Ramm sells.

Looks like my boy will be getting a vet visit. The swelling in the right knee was a little worse today and the tendon sheath on the inside of that leg was also swollen. On the left leg the swelling was pretty much the same, but his ankle and pastern are also swollen now.

It'll depend on what the vet thinks I should do, but I'll probably be getting a US of the left to make sure no tendons/ligaments were torn and possibly an xray of his right knee.

And all those non-horsey people say us horsey peeps are rich? Maybe rich with patience.

How's he doing today?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

If there is any broken skin, you might want to be careful about putting poultice on it. Some horses will blow up like stovepipes if they get it into cuts.
    D.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Swelling isn't any worse than it was yesterday.

And it seems the barn baby may actually be getting a little sick of being in his stall, but he was still very well behaved on his walk along the fence line.

Well swelling in the left leg is totally gone! And there is only a little swelling/fluid around the knee.

I finally got a vet out today (issues with vets on vacation or not returning calls ) and he didn't think that there was a tendon tear or strain and said that Knight could be turned out as long as he wasn't running around like an idiot. He also said that the swelling is around the knee and not in the joint which is a good thing.

So just w/t under saddle for the next week, but everything seems good.
    Last edited by Sempiternal; Nov. 4, 2012 at 09:42 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.