The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lowcountry- btw the swamp & the deerstand

Default Not just a safety vest, but an air vest...

I say better safe than sorry. Children routinely wear the Tipperary event vest over their jackets @ our hunt. I think the hybrid air vests are an interesting concept.
    I event & do not jump xc fences w/o a vest. As I age, the concept of living to hunt another day with the help of technology via helmets w/ chin straps or protective vests appeals to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2home-2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	37036  

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I've worn one! But my hunt is pretty casual. And I think JSwan wears one.

Nope. Never have.

Wear one under your coat if you like.

You won't catch me wearing one of those air vests. No way in hell.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Hubby and I wear our Tipperaries. He made me promise to wear mine every ride after I broke my back, and follows suit. At this point it's no more cumbersome or angst-ridden than putting on my socks in the morning. No one has made a peep hunting (ran it by one of the Masters first of course.)

Saw the hunting styled one used at Middleburg Tack once. THought about it and decided I'd rather sew a simple cover for one if I were going that route, just for washability's sake.
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

The members in our hunt who wear a back protector vest out hunting, wear it over top of their hunt jackets. Nobody gives it a second thought. We are not so particular about appearance here that we would discourage a safety vest should someone want to wear one.

1 members found this post helpful.

We have one member who wears one most of the time. She is over 60 and has an 18 hand horse. She wears it under her coat and I don't even notice it anymore.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Quote Originally Posted by lily04 View Post
    And if your horse falls going down a slippery bank into the rain swollen Big Elk Creek you will float.

Not laughing at the seriousness of the situation, but the way you put it. I'm assuming from empirical knowledge. . .
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post

Not laughing at the seriousness of the situation, but the way you put it. I'm assuming from empirical knowledge. . .

I've been thinking about wearing one since I just don't bounce very well anymore. It just occurred to me that a specialty dickie would be ideal. Wouldn't it be cool to have a combo canary vest front, shirt front, and stock tie that you could just pop on over any safety vest or shirt? I have dibs on the idea unless osmeone has already come up with it!

Air vest, no way for hunting. But my Tipperary Eventer would be workable. I bought the canary hunting model years ago--it was either Dover or Millers that closed them out for $50 and I scored one. I ended up selling it because it was not as nice a fit as the Eventer.

I would be a lot happier if some of our older hunt members would wear more safety gear.

3 members found this post helpful.

We have many members who now wear the black air vests over their coats and it is absolutely allowed. If someone feels more comfortable or safe hunting while wearing it then by all means they should. I too can't imagine a hunt saying no for the liability of it ? They actually are not that obvious to me anymore. The comments about their comfort or lack thereof are unfounded as they are made to fit loosly unless they go off (which only happens if you have an unvoluntary dismount or forget to unhook it ~)

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Nope. Never have.

Wear one under your coat if you like.

You won't catch me wearing one of those air vests. No way in hell.
    Oops, sorry JSwan! I wonder who I was thinking of?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Oops, sorry JSwan! I wonder who I was thinking of?
    That's ok. It just looks like I'm wearing one because I'm fat.

For folks looking for a bit of protection but not the bulk, there are racing vests.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I wonder how much they really do help. Usually I end up on my face (stupid me keeps watching the ground as it approaches) or my hip, two places that would not be covered by a vest.

Do you think the hunt would mind if I rode in a protective bubble that encased me so that if I fell off I'd just go boinging down the hill?

Again, not to disparage use of vests or any safety equipment ...
    But ...
    I've broke bones without them. I've broke bones with them. (Collarbone with, collarbone without; shoulder with, shoulder without.)
    They do nothing to protect the collarbone which is your most likely injury (designed as it is to protect 'the more important bits' inside and above and below) nor arms, nor legs nor your noggin'.
    For gosh sakes if it makes you feel protected, please by all means wear it.
    Don't imagine it is a protective bubble wrap though!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

3 members found this post helpful.

I am an eventer, a life-long fox hunter, and a MFH. I started wearing my Tipperary under my hunt coat a few years ago after there were several spine/torso injuries among other hunters in our region. That list included staff and some excellent riders. They don't protect you from everything, but they do provide some protection. As others have said, we may not bounce as well as we once did. I'm sure others can tell I have it on, but I don't make a big deal about it. We have some other members that wear them, over or under, and one member that wears an air vest.

They are warm. I adjust the other layers I am wearing and haven't had a problem.

I can second Lily's flotation comment. Sitting on my 14.1 steed watching the creek submerge the saddle flaps of others on their 16+ hand horses I knew my future was not dry. When he stepped off the underwater ledge and momentarily sank to his ears I learned the secret benefit of eventing vests... We're both strong swimmers and got to the other side moments later, in time for an excellent view. The really good news is, like wool and fleece, those vests insulate well when wet.

My good luck that I had taken a fairly bruising fall the week before, and chosen to wear a voluntary extra layer!

The attire at that hunt is quite not according to Wadsworth and the MFHA, though, so this is really just a side story which always makes me smile, not advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    I can second Lily's flotation comment. Sitting on my 14.1 steed watching the creek submerge the saddle flaps of others on their 16+ hand horses I knew my future was not dry. When he stepped off the underwater ledge and momentarily sank to his ears I learned the secret benefit of eventing vests... We're both strong swimmers and got to the other side moments later, in time for an excellent view. The really good news is, like wool and fleece, those vests insulate well when wet.

My good luck that I had taken a fairly bruising fall the week before, and chosen to wear a voluntary extra layer!

The attire at that hunt is quite not according to Wadsworth and the MFHA, though, so this is really just a side story which always makes me smile, not advice!!
    Yikes!!!! Perhaps the vest people should start putting this feature in their literature.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?