The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Well good to know it isn't that horrible VAndetta that was going on around here at an earlier date. WOW there is are more pictures of ppl standing on horses than sitting on them. Am I just out of touch with times and this is the "thing to do" now?

The "trail boss" also needs to work on his hunkered over position

I hate being a racist, ya know with Bi-racial children and all. How did that happen? I am also engaged to a black man (getting married on 12/12/12 Guess I'm in denial...
    And you. You're the worst of the lot. For mentioning position. Don't you know racism has to do with pointing stuff out like that and nothing to do with actual, well, racism?

BTW, congrats on your upcoming nuptials! He has NO excuse to ever forget your anniversary! I bet there are a TON of weddings that day. Very cool.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Of course they have liability insurance. Right? I mean letting beginners stand up on horses, especially those with a history of rearing and bucking!

BTW there are these YUMMY popcorn chips I am eating right now. They don't get stuck in your teeth at all! They are going nicely with a merlot.

But I am not a wine snob. Not sure what is supposed to go with popcorn chips.

Anybody know?

I have (unfortunately) boarded at some real piece o' work places in MI, but thankfully, none that Clinton Anderson would want to burn down for using his name. Parelli maybe, but no one had used CA in vain. LOL

This has to be a joke. I mean on the home page, it's MOUNTAINS. We don't have mountains in MI.

Back to the helmets, the standing, etc. I couldn't take it seriously and even if it were just for fun--because as a kid I did stupid crap like that at home--I can't imagine a reputable BUSINESS making the standing on horses thing a PR plus.

It's pretty sad actually. And ultimately dangerous and foolish.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Broo, I actually noticed that too. Raised in MI and parents still live there, and when I saw that I thought "that ain't Albion, let alone any part of MI".
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow! That is quite the website.

I'm (almost) speechless (but not racist).

ETA Seriously, perhaps you could show your relative some professional websites from the area and explain your thoughts about the differences.
    Last edited by skydy; Dec. 8, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Broo, I actually noticed that too. Raised in MI and parents still live there, and when I saw that I thought "that ain't Albion, let alone any part of MI".
    Exactly.

Albion has the eq team right there, lots of good barns. I mean, I didn't board in that area myself, but I KNOW the area and there is no good reason to go to some kind of yahoo place for 300/mo.

Cripes.

I wish someone had looked out for me when I first moved there 10 years ago. So that's the reason I'm speaking up. MI isn't ALL nuts.

I promise.

Agreed. It's really not. In some areas you might need a bit more of an idea of what you need, to be safe while barn shopping, but others will take care of you in a fab way with out a second word. MI is great horse country. This isn't your MI norm.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Albion has some really nice barns, they have an extensive equestrian program at Albion college. I didn't see the boarding page, $300 is insane for a place like that. I paid that for a barn with an indoor, outdoor, and stall at night.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I am very sad that the houseguests have not returned

Well, maybe they will and say they have real horses to ride and we don't have horses that is why they haven't been back.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    I am very sad that the houseguests have not returned

Well, maybe they will and say they have real horses to ride and we don't have horses that is why they haven't been back.
    House guest as in me, the OP? I hope not. I only posted to find out if this chick is everything I heard through the grapevine she is, and if it was worth trying to steer a (non-horsey) relative away from her. COTH always seems to be "in the know" with this sort of stuff so I figured it was worth a shot. I'm a state away from said relative so no first-hand dealings but if there were fallout (horse turned out to not be as represented, etc.) it could have easily landed in my lap and that is what I was trying to avoid. Plus I don't want to see a family member get screwed if I can help it. Even given my distance from the situation this particular horse dealer or whatever she is, well she has a reputation that precedes her from what I hear. Not going to go into the gory details as I'm sure you all have seen similar scenarios play out before. Plus I wouldn't want to be "SLANDERING" her or get labeled a "RACIST"

I think her post here and a Google search on her gave me all the info I needed, which was passed along to said family member.

All a moot point anyway. I gave family member my copy of Blessed are the Broodmares, she no longer in any way shape or form wants to deal a pregnant mare or foal. I've also convinced family member to hold off until spring to get a horse, take lessons over the winter (she started beginner lessons at a nice little facility with an indoor last week), and revisit the idea of purchasing a horse in the spring. At which point I've got a couple nice older beginner safe packers she can try out that may fit the bill. If one of them works out great, if not at least she may have some more realistic expectations and be a bit more savvy after a few month's worth of lessons under her belt.

Potential headache averted.

Now if you meant house guest as in Ms. Sawiki then that's another cup-o-soup. She can keep doing her thang, whatever. From what we've seen of how she represents herself online relative has decided she's not particularly interested in doing business with her. No harm, no foul. People decide where and how to spend their money based on all sorts of things and she's made her decision. Personally I think it was the right one.

And I agree with the general consensus, the website is appalling!

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm glad you have a family member who listens to your good advice and that things were halted before they could get unpleasant. I think it's wise be wary of sale mares that come with free breedings and 'interesting' owners.

Stunning. Website looks like something a horse mad teen would create for a sim game...

Well done you! So good of you to look out for your people's best interests.

They can now get some proper instruction , not have to deal with the folks on that unfortunate website, and hopefully have a wonderful time learning to ride and a lifetime of fun with horses.

It is very important to start off right,and safely, with well qualified instructors.

As for the website,I agree that standing on a horse is idiotic (unless of course you aspire to trick riding).

Even then, I'm sure it's de rigueur to actually learn to ride the horse, sitting, in the time tested manner, before standing on it.
    Last edited by skydy; Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: To add..

A bit OT but there are technically mountains in Michigan, in the Western Upper Penninsula....

I'm still confused which race it is we're supposed to be racist against. I only saw Caucasians on that website. Does Ms. Sawiki think we're against white people?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Oh good Grief, what is it with Standing on a Horse? Even the trick riders I saw two Weeks ago didn't stand on the horses. They hung off the sides, back and front, just about darn well Underneath but there was no standing on top; maybe they were just starting Out?
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    A bit OT but there are technically mountains in Michigan, in the Western Upper Penninsula....
    Yeah, but they don't look like THAT! LOL I know what you're saying though.