The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm a BIG FAN of IRAP! My 15 year old eventer, who had just moved up to prelim, starting having some stopping issues. Once it finally dawned on me that it was pain (I hate myself for not realizing it sooner...argh), we determined he was painful in his knees. Did rads and he had a chip (in the upper joint, a less mobile joint) and arthritic changes that made even the vet school vet go "Dang... I'm surprised he's this sound!". Also had some changes in his fetlock. He got the summer off (well, trails because he freaked out being out of work and got depressed, and... movement is good for arthritis), we did three IRAP sessions, and also did pentosan and glucosamine and oral supplements. That was in... August -ish... and he's back running prelim again. HAPPILY!! I've had just about everyone tell me that he looks better than he's ever looked. Now granted, I also give him Equiox on days we jump/show, but... still.
    To dumb it down.... You draw blood from the horse into a special syringe... which is filled with special beads. The beads stimulate the body into overproducing anti-inflammatory mediators. So instead of like 10 of those cells, you get 10,000. (Again. VERY simplifying and I have no idea of the real numbers). This happens while it is incubating. Then you spin it down, draw off the "Super serum" and inject it into said joint. I did three injections, each a week apart.
    Fleck feels phenomenal! It didn't happen overnight.. he was no different after the first, better after the second, then a little worse after the third, and then gradually got better and better until one day he said "enough's enough.. I feel good" and took off with me at a gallop!!
    It's also great because insurance (mine at least) covered it, but they wouldn't cover regular joint injections.
    I've also heard that it is more the act of injecting three times in three weeks that causes the body to react than what we are injecting, but... regardless.. my horse is back to competing at prelim happily and has never felt better!!! I'm a HUGE FAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    I'm a BIG FAN of IRAP! My 15 year old eventer, who had just moved up to prelim, starting having some stopping issues. Once it finally dawned on me that it was pain (I hate myself for not realizing it sooner...argh), we determined he was painful in his knees. Did rads and he had a chip (in the upper joint, a less mobile joint) and arthritic changes that made even the vet school vet go "Dang... I'm surprised he's this sound!". Also had some changes in his fetlock. He got the summer off (well, trails because he freaked out being out of work and got depressed, and... movement is good for arthritis), we did three IRAP sessions, and also did pentosan and glucosamine and oral supplements. That was in... August -ish... and he's back running prelim again. HAPPILY!! I've had just about everyone tell me that he looks better than he's ever looked. Now granted, I also give him Equiox on days we jump/show, but... still.
    To dumb it down.... You draw blood from the horse into a special syringe... which is filled with special beads. The beads stimulate the body into overproducing anti-inflammatory mediators. So instead of like 10 of those cells, you get 10,000. (Again. VERY simplifying and I have no idea of the real numbers). This happens while it is incubating. Then you spin it down, draw off the "Super serum" and inject it into said joint. I did three injections, each a week apart.
    Fleck feels phenomenal! It didn't happen overnight.. he was no different after the first, better after the second, then a little worse after the third, and then gradually got better and better until one day he said "enough's enough.. I feel good" and took off with me at a gallop!!
    It's also great because insurance (mine at least) covered it, but they wouldn't cover regular joint injections.
    I've also heard that it is more the act of injecting three times in three weeks that causes the body to react than what we are injecting, but... regardless.. my horse is back to competing at prelim happily and has never felt better!!! I'm a HUGE FAN!!!!
    Great news! I'm glad to hear he's doing much better than you thought he would.

Thanks... Us too!!!

IRAP was on my bill , when I called and questioned they still called it IRAP. Maybe I need an attorney, because I now have an expensive jumper not worth very much.