The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Newbie to driving; teaching a Mini Donk to Drive

I'm an experienced horsewoman, but have never driven anything. We have an adorable miniature donkey jenny named Vidalia who is very sweet and agreeable. Was thinking of picking up a mini cart and harness - there's a nice mini Meadowbrook style Roberts Carriage cart and harness available locally - and teaching her how to drive just for grins and giggles. Seller who has driven mini donks says they're very easy to train to harness/cart. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/3333043410.html

Is this correct? Any pointers. I do have experienced combined driving friends I can get help from if need be.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Just remember that donkeys never forget...fairly easy to train but will not do something they deem scary or unsafe.

I had several mini donks in the past (never drove them tho) They were nothing more than lawn ornaments.

Have fun! and of course pics along the way. The CL pic is adorable by the way.