The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keeping saddle behind shoulder on round pony?

I'm having trouble with my saddle sitting to far forward on my fit, but very round barreled Arab. She's built like her dam...."well-sprung ribs" that shove everything toward her armpits. Where my saddle should sit and where the girth lies are two very different things. I going to try a non-slip waffle weave pad tomorrow, and I have a crupper. My saddle is a Wintec Pro with the Y-girthing system. Any advice on how to remedy this? She's not getting outright sore, I'm worried about it interfering with the freedom of her shoulder now that I'm asking her for more. Anyone out there with a rotund dressage pony?

There was a thread here on that issue a few years back ...check archives or goggle.... found it a about 2-3weeks ago for my round fjord pony. ...great advice given. I changed my girth.

I have two Arabs with this build. The County logic girth really helped, and I had my billets switched on my dressage saddle to make the front one a point billet. With that placement, I use a regular girth.

You may want to check saddle fit too. I had a Wintec for several years, and got rid of it when I finally realized it was too narrow, even in the XW gullet. My horse never seemed sore, but it was amazing how much more stable a saddle that REALLY fit was. Between that and getting the girth to actually sit in the (tiny) girth groove, my saddle doesn't move.

If you decide to try the girth, Ovation has an option that's about 1/2 the price.

The saddle is most likely too narrow. I have the same issue with my half-Arab.

Here is what worked for my pony: proper width and fit saddle, County Logic girth, his is actually CWD but shaped the same, billet point strap is used over the front of the bottom flap (like a point billet that is moved ahead of the saddle).

After trying many mid- high end saddles, the best fit was a Thorouhgood ( pardon the spelling). The saddle is stable even though he has a sheepskin and thinline pad underneath, without taking the breath out of him with the girth. He has not been back sore with this arrangement despite doing some advanced level work.

It is out there
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

It can mean the saddle is too narrow, but that is not always the case. My saddle has been seen by a qualified fitter, and due to my horse's forward girth groove, will still slide forward. I switched to an ergonomic girth, and it solves the problem 90% of the time. The other 10% is probably due to me not having the girth tight enough. I use Tekna's Pressure EZE girth as seen here:http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Te...rth-P5699.aspx because I was able to purchase it from my local tack shop for $60 and because I didn't want a leather girth for every-day riding.

another thing to think about it weight - is she too heavy? losing a few pounds can help stabilize a saddle

And then if all that doesn't work, try a crupper. Works on ponies!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Do you use the crupper? Our very round pony, actually from the spring of his ribs, had to have a crupper. It was the only way to keep the saddle in position.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Quote Originally Posted by Nike13 View Post
    I going to try a non-slip waffle weave pad tomorrow, and I have a crupper. My saddle is a Wintec Pro with the Y-girthing system. Any advice on how to remedy this? She's not getting outright sore, I'm worried about it interfering with the freedom of her shoulder now that I'm asking her for more. Anyone out there with a rotund dressage pony?
    I'd be surprised if this saddle is really the best fit for her (look at the tree shape) - have you had a saddle fitter out or done wither tracing/photo consults with some of the online shops (eg, Trumbull Mtn has a good selection of saddles that will fit this body type)?

If the saddle is slipping onto her shoulders, she's likely hitting the tree points at every step & is just stoic about it or has not yet realized that she can express an opinion

Where my saddle should sit and where the girth lies are two very different things.
    Given this, not sure how you can expect that the saddle would not move when horse is in motion - if you use a grip pad, check for skin irritation after/before every ride.

I suspect saddle is too narrow (in addition to not an optimum tree shape).

Expert saddle fitter/custom saddle nor a fancy girth or non slip pad fixed my daughters pony's saddle from slipping. Crupper fixed it. Done deal. $38.00 fix that went $3162.00 to far! No problems since. All scenerios are different, but mine was simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TullyMars View Post
    Expert saddle fitter/custom saddle nor a fancy girth or non slip pad fixed my daughters pony's saddle from slipping. Crupper fixed it. Done deal. $38.00 fix that went $3162.00 to far! No problems since. All scenerios are different, but mine was simple.
    did no one read where the OP is already using a crupper with this saddle on this pony

and I have a crupper.
    wouldn't this phrase infer that she is already using it

I agree with all others above! They helped me get my downhill pony's saddle fixed.

My saddle fit width wise...however it was a hair too long for her back. Per suggestions here I had my fitter out to check it. While it looked fine standing still when she started moving and her back came up her back caught the panels and pushed the saddle forward. She also has a forward girth groove so the anatomical girth helped after we got the right saddle. But honestly the saddle didn't move but 1/2" once I got the one that fit her beautifully.

I would have a fitter check:
    a) width
    b) where do tree points hit
    c) length of saddle
    d) girth groove

It could be a combination of any of the above.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I would go through a series of actions here...

1. Make sure the saddle fit, and not just the width of the saddle. The tree shape needs to fit the horse, or none below will help.

2. After 1, if you still have this problem, get a point billet if you don't already have one.

3. After 2, if you still have this same problem, get a County Logic girth. It is designed to align forward girth groove with your billet. From your description about the forward girth groove, this will likely help.

4. After 3, if you still have this problem, add a thin non-slip pad.

5. After 4, if you still have this problem, add a crupper. I see you already have it, but if I were you, I would do the above four before reaching for the crupper.

6. After 5, if you still have this problem, well, good luck. I am out of ideas...

Awesome suggestions. Thanks to all! I tried a nonslip pad today and adjusted the rear billet. That seemed to help a little, but I'm also going to look into an anatomic girth. I agree that a point billet would be a good option, but I'm not sure that will be possible on a Wintec. If I have to switch saddles I will, but I'm hoping for a more affordable solution. She's done 25mile endurance rides in the current set-up, plus a crupper, with no soreness issues. It's more of an "I think I can get a better performance" if I fix XYZ. She's quite fit, thanks to the endurance riding, she's just built like a puffer fish. Does anyone know of any anatomic girths that come in an 18"? It's hard enough finding regular girths in her size.

I got my anatomical girth in 18" from England. I believe Norton was the brand? I'll look and make sure!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

But honestly the saddle didn't move but 1/2" once I got the one that fit her beautifully.
    ^ This!!!
    really X 1000!

Often when saddles are judged by trainers/riders etc, we just look at the external as we lack any real vision of what the tree points, angles, length, shape are like in that saddle.

Sometimes good video & a sharp eye will let you see what was happening with Keg's panels in motion, but mostly, it's missed.

I'm hoping for a more affordable solution. She's done 25mile endurance rides in the current set-up, plus a crupper, with no soreness issues. It's more of an "I think I can get a better performance" if I fix XYZ.
    A Thorowgood with cob tree should run similar in cost to Wintec, there is also Tekna (but I don't know if they've got a flatter tree out now), lots of used (as long as you aren't worried about age or superficial wear such as fading or scratches - I bought a "like new" o.l.d County Competitor for $500 as it had cat scratches - which were not visible from 2 feet away) - BUT I suspect you need a flatter, more U-shaped tree.
    Talk to Nancy at Duett about demos etc, same with any other saddle source.

If you want her to elevate through the shoulder or extend, she will end up sore if she's running into the tree BUT the soreness may show up predominantly in her SI joint area rather than the shoulder.

"did no one read where the OP is already using a crupper with this saddle on this pony"

My apologies, Nike13 - I totally missed that.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    "did no one read where the OP is already using a crupper with this saddle on this pony"

My apologies, Nike13 - I totally missed that.

Carol
    Honestly, I wasn't sure if she was using the crupper or had one as an alternative to try. Maybe I'm slow.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp