The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I may have spoke too soon. Lunged tonight and she first refused to go into the round pen (this is new), and then bucked at the canter both directions, couldn't maintain hind lead. She was fussy all around.

Wish those pop rocks would show up.

Just did an online chat with Abler. I ordered pop rocks with express shipping on Oct. 25. They said my shipment will not be here no later than Nov. 15. Wow, you COTHers meant it when you said shipping time is atrocious.

With her furry winter coat on, I can see that she has been rubbing/licking her belly on both sides. At each feeding time, I brush and smooth the ruffled areas out, and they are re-ruffled by the next feeding time.

She was nipping at the girth/stirrup again during our ride yesterday, and her willingness at canter is, oh, about zero.

In the past couple weeks, I wondered if I had been too zealous in my suspecting ulcers, but now that she's been off treatment for a week, I am back to fearing what I cannot see. Considering splurging for a scope when the vet/chiro comes out this week.

Well, of course my mare would need to be fasted for 12 hours before a scope. While I do have stalls, she is never stalled except for feeding, and she has not been stalled in about 3 years. She would be all alone for 12 hours. I am worried she might hurt herself. The vet is coming in a few days and offered to bring the scope if I fast her. I already ordered the pop rocks (STILL have not shown up), and she had 12 days of full tubes of Ulcergard, which ended 8 days or so ago. She has resumed bucking at the canter, nipping at the girth and having ruffled fur on her belly.

Do I stall her for 12 hours and hope she doesn't hurt herself, or just give the pop rocks without a scope? My vet doesn't believe in the pop rocks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa327 View Post
    Well, of course my mare would need to be fasted for 12 hours before a scope. While I do have stalls, she is never stalled except for feeding, and she has not been stalled in about 3 years. She would be all alone for 12 hours. I am worried she might hurt herself. The vet is coming in a few days and offered to bring the scope if I fast her. I already ordered the pop rocks (STILL have not shown up), and she had 12 days of full tubes of Ulcergard, which ended 8 days or so ago. She has resumed bucking at the canter, nipping at the girth and having ruffled fur on her belly.

Do I stall her for 12 hours and hope she doesn't hurt herself, or just give the pop rocks without a scope? My vet doesn't believe in the pop rocks anyway.
    What other things did you change? If nothing, sounds like she told you the scope isn't necessary, but an actual full course of treatment is, rather than some half-a$$ed half treatment you now have to start over...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

No other changes. I bought a Hay Hut two weeks ago for their night pasture, but my horse and the other two blew through the round bale in 9 days. Another round bale is coming this weekend, and I'm going but a slow feed net on it. Only my horse will be on the round bale now (in adjacent paddock alone ) ...

I thought I had ordered enough Ulcergard to get us until the pop rocks arrived with express shipping, but still the pop rocks are not here. I had a bucket of Neigh Lox onahnd to transition off the omezepral treatments, but have been giving that to her in the meantime. Doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

I may have missed this, but did she improve while on the ulcergard paste?

If so, I would not bother with a scope, but would do a full 28 day full treatment (even though you've already done some treatment days, the time in between where she's not getting anything i.e. right now I would not count the treatment days from before as part of this 28 day treatment).

So, when the pop rocks come, I would give 3 packets per day for 28 days.

I commented on yoru hay hut thread also but haven't checked back there...you said she was the low man on the totem pole in your turnout group. This may be contributing to her ulcers...horses who are pushed around or are nervous in their turnout herd can worry themselves into ulcers. The same is true for horses who are alone and worry, or who are the herd boss and are too worried about protecting the herd. You have the find that harmonious balance.

I agree that she should be the one with unlimited round bale access so I would do whatever I had to do to ensure she got that, with maybe different turnout buddies that she feels more comfortable with and who do not push her around. This may mean finding different boarders.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Suckerforhorses: Thanks for your response on my hay hut thread. There are no other options for turnout buddies. I have a small farm, with two pastures (daytime about 4 acres, nighttime around 3 acres, and a 1/2 acre (or maybe less) paddock. My boarders are planning on moving in spring 2013, so I have to either find another boarder (would be nice to share the work; I work FT and don't have any help) or get a buddy for my mare. I'm going to put her in the paddock alone at night, and she'll have turnout with the others during the day. At least, that's what I'm thinking for now. And yeah, I am thinking 28 daysx3 packets pop rocks. The lady who runs the adoption farm that I got my mare from (she's OTTB) says she likes Kombat Boots for maintenance.

And yes, she did seem better on the 12 days ulcergard. She cantered nicely with no bucking, mostly held her hind leads, and was just much more pleasant. She is an internalizer -- rightbrain introvert in Parelli world.

Would you feed all 3 pop rocks packets at one feeding, or split them up?

I thought I had ordered enough Ulcergard to get us until the pop rocks arrived with express shipping, but still the pop rocks are not here. I had a bucket of Neigh Lox onahnd to transition off the omezepral treatments, but have been giving that to her in the meantime. Doesn't seem to make a difference at all.
    My experience with NeighLox was that it was a big waste of money. It's very possible that you won't need any acid suppression once the ulcers are treated.

Also, if your horse has hind-gut ulcers you can't scope for them and they require a different drug than stomach ulcers. (It doesn't sound like you're dealing with hind gut issues, but I put it out there in case you do go through with the scope but don't see ulcers).

From reading your updates it seems like the Gastrogard was helping with the symptoms - so the cheapest route for you seems to be to skip the scope and start a new 28 day regimen. This approach would also enable you to avoid the fasting period that you're worried about.

Good luck.

Suckerforhorses: Thanks for your response on my hay hut thread. There are no other options for turnout buddies. I have a small farm, with two pastures (daytime about 4 acres, nighttime around 3 acres, and a 1/2 acre (or maybe less) paddock. My boarders are planning on moving in spring 2013, so I have to either find another boarder (would be nice to share the work; I work FT and don't have any help) or get a buddy for my mare. I'm going to put her in the paddock alone at night, and she'll have turnout with the others during the day. At least, that's what I'm thinking for now. And yeah, I am thinking 28 daysx3 packets pop rocks. The lady who runs the adoption farm that I got my mare from (she's OTTB) says she likes Kombat Boots for maintenance.

And yes, she did seem better on the 12 days ulcergard. She cantered nicely with no bucking, mostly held her hind leads, and was just much more pleasant. She is an internalizer -- rightbrain introvert in Parelli world.

Would you feed all 3 pop rocks packets at one feeding, or split them up?
    My mare also internalizes, so I feel with you there! She seems all calm and peaceful on the outside, and I know something is up only because she will lose a little bit of her appetite after a "stressful" event...like if I take my gelding for the day to a horse show...she stands and acts perfectly normal, doesn't pace or whinny to him from her field. But that night, she is slightly less interested in her food.

I would feed all 3 packets at once, like you would administer a whole tube of ulcergard at once. I would not split it up (and don't split it up with my mare, I also use the pop rocks as a preventative now, because I didn't know about them when my mare needed treatment.) If I knew about them, it would've saved me $1000 for treatment.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

PrettyBayMare: (mine is a pretty bay mare, too ) ... I am doing Equishure, as well. She is 15 days or so into that and I don't think there's much impact. She still has the stinkiest piles of all 3 horses. :-p Yeah, the Neigh Lox seems to do nothing for her.

Here's what she gets now:
    Morning: 2 lbs TC Senior, Smartpak of Omega Horseshine and Smart Hoof, 1 scoop Equishure, 2 scoops Neigh Lox, 1 pound (measured dry) soaked alfalfa cubes

Afternoon: pasture that still has some grass, will start giving hay in a few weeks

Evening: 2 lbs TC Senior, 1 scoop Equishure, 2 scoops Neigh Lox, 1 pound (measured dry) soaked alfalfa cubes

Overnight: (starting last night) free choice grass hay ...

Am thinking of cutting the cute smartpaks, switching to bulk Omega Horseshine and also adding Kombat Boots (brewer's yeast)... so drop the SmartHoof and definitely drop Neigh Lox.

So both morning and night:
    2 lbs TC Senior, recommended dose of Kombat Boots, 1 scoop Omega Horseshine, 1 scoop Equishure, 1 pound soaked alfalfa cubes

Free choice hay overnight, alone in paddock.

Pasture/ground fed hay with pasturemates during the day.

28 day regimen of pop rocks. Skip the scope.

How's she doing on the Equishure? Also, if you suspect both stomach and hind gut ulcers, get KER's RiteTrac instead...it targets both.

I also second the suggestion NOT to stop Gastrogard treatment if she shows improvement on it! 12 days is not enough to heal the ulcers. She'd need to STAY on it FULL tube for a month, then taper off for at least 2 more weeks after that. Too many people stop treatment when they see improvement, then the horse goes right back to being ulcery because they think they could stop the treatment!!

Finally, a huge second to get your horse's back, hocks and especially SI checked out.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

I found that even giving the "maintenance" dose of pop rocks or Ulcerguard while waiting on a full shipment can keep the symptoms at bay... If you are short on money, better to skip the scope, buy some Ulcerguard and use the lowest dose which I believe is a quarter of a tube.

Have recently tried to go with a "holistic" regimine with my ulcer prone guy, but felt I was wasting money as his ulcer symptoms are creeping back. Even tried the Smartpak stuff - pop rocks are a much better investment! FWIW

Well, she is being returned to the adoption group that I got her from back in August. Turns out that the vet mis-read the radiographs from her pre-purchase exam. Two new vets confirm ankle chips. They also suggested the $$$ bone scan at the college vet hospital three hours away. I'm in over my head -- this is my first horse. Going to send her back and regroup. Heartbroken.

{{{{HUGS}}}}
    so sorry to read your update - do let the PPE vet know about the differing X-ray conclusions.
    Hopefully the adoption group will continue with her ulcer treatment (did you ever receive your pop rocks?)