The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Well, I never found a Co-Boarder but....

I am SO over the moon right now? Ya know how I've been offering FREE BOARD to someone, in exchange for that person helping with the feeding, etc? Well, since I apparently have the plague, I was unable to find someone but....

My NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS are letting me keep my ponies at their place!! WOOO HOO!! They are just next door to me, have NO clue about horses, but have 7 acres, a very cute little barn with mats, paddocks, great fencing, great grass, tack room, feed room....This also gives me a great option to rotate the pastures, so that the grass stays nice. I may still be able to take in a friend though, however, now it's OK if I never find anyone, since they are just next door. (Of course now, I will probably get 20 calls a day....) Anyway, just wanted to share!

Yay!!! Congrats! That sounds like an awesome situation.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

That's awesome!!! I had the same issue when I was looking for a boarder. I thought I was offering a great deal, got a couple of lookers, but no takers. I couldn't figure it out - I have a really nice barn, good fencing, nice property next to TONS of trails... I was starting to think I had the plague too!

Turns out it was just the universe telling me I needed to keep my other stall open so that I could buy a baby horse

What a blessing!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Not to be a negative Nancy, but:

CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    GET AN F'IN CONTRACT!

Please. Just do it. You don't want to find yourself and your horses homeless one day because they didn't like the muddy pastures in March. Or find everyone standing in the snow in the middle of Jan because the owners wanted to use the barn for storage. Or for the owners to decide that they too want to be horse owners (have heard the stories right here on COTH) and expect you to care for the feral Walkaloosaquartereisan stallion that they picked up off craigslist.

Treat it like a business transaction/any other property lease, with strict terms about canceling it, damages, and so on and so forth.

Otherwise, congrats! Seeing abandoned horse properties makes me sad (there are four indoor arenas sitting unused within 15 miles of me...in New England! Where it snows! Where we love our indoors!) and it sounds like a great opportunity.

Woohoo!
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Not to be a negative Nancy, but:

CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    CONTRACT
    GET AN F'IN CONTRACT!

Please. Just do it. You don't want to find yourself and your horses homeless one day because they didn't like the muddy pastures in March. Or find everyone standing in the snow in the middle of Jan because the owners wanted to use the barn for storage. Or for the owners to decide that they too want to be horse owners (have heard the stories right here on COTH) and expect you to care for the feral Walkaloosaquartereisan stallion that they picked up off craigslist.

Treat it like a business transaction/any other property lease, with strict terms about canceling it, damages, and so on and so forth.

Otherwise, congrats! Seeing abandoned horse properties makes me sad (there are four indoor arenas sitting unused within 15 miles of me...in New England! Where it snows! Where we love our indoors!) and it sounds like a great opportunity.
    I agree - and will be talking with them tomorrow about just that!