The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What would you do? Trailering in the heat

I am attending a show in Michigan this weekend. I am trailering from Southeastern WI to Ann Arbor Michigan. It is a 5 hour trailer ride and we will lose an hour with the time change. I'm trying to decide what time I should leave since it will be really hot tomorrow (High of 93 and heat index 95-100). We do have a nice trailer with good airflow. Its a 2 horse hawk straight load. We have to leave either before chicago traffic or after because of rush hour and I do not feel comfortable driving in the dark in a strange place if I don't have to so leaving in the evening isn't an option for me.

Option 1: Leave at 5-5:30 am and get to Ann Arbor by 12-12:30 and my horse doesn't get any turnout in the morning.

Option 2: Leave at 7:30am and get to Ann Arbor by 2pm. And horse gets 1-2hrs of turnout.

What would you do?

Leave early. If you get stuck in Traffic somewhere you will still be before the worst heat of the day.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd skip the show, I'd do that regardless of the logistics, because of the heat.

Of your two options the earlier one would be cooler for your horse in the trailer, so if I had to choose that would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    I'd skip the show, I'd do that regardless of the logistics, because of the heat.

Of your two options the earlier one would be cooler for your horse in the trailer, so if I had to choose that would be it.
    Its only a high of 80 for Saturday and Sunday so it won't be hot the entire weekend. The trip back will be cool.

Go early.

Go early and hand walk your horse letting him graze after you get there. Always get your horse out and about for walking and grazing frequently rather than just stalling them or leaving them tied to the trailer.

chicamuxen

Leave as early as you can. Traffic coming across Indiana can get brutal in the later part of the morning. I'd leave at 4am, personally, and take advantage of the most cool hours. It will be light by the time you reach unfamiliar roads as you're on the far eastern edge of the central time zone and the sun comes up EARLY. The horse can get hand-walked--a few hours of lost turnout is less important to me than avoiding the terrible heat.

And it's going to cool off this weekend. Michigan heat waves are brief.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Leave as early as you can. Traffic coming across Indiana can get brutal in the later part of the morning. I'd leave at 4am, personally, and take advantage of the most cool hours. It will be light by the time you reach unfamiliar roads as you're on the far eastern edge of the central time zone and the sun comes up EARLY. The horse can get hand-walked--a few hours of lost turnout is less important to me than avoiding the terrible heat.

And it's going to cool off this weekend. Michigan heat waves are brief.
    Thank you for the advice. I haven't traveled to michigan for a couple of years and I've never done it with a trailer.

I'd leave earlier...3 or 4 am.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

The first group left our barn at 7am, second group probably shortly after - we're west of you. We used to go to Hidden Hollow in Iowa/Illinois at the end of July, and it was always either blazing hot or torrentially downpouring. Ponies seemed to do ok on the trailer as long as it kept moving at highway speed - it was the stop and go traffic, and 2-lane roads through small towns, that heated things up because the air couldn't move. Good luck and safe travels! Hope you find some cool breezes at Cobblestone!

Buy some bags of ice and put them in the sawdust bedding. Probably a couple LARGE bags, mixed in the sawdust. Check horse at rest stops, if ice is melting, buy another bag and mix it in his sawdust under him.

We do this if the weather is hot. It DOES make a difference to the horse, cooling him thru the hooves. We brought a horse home from Penn. during a weekend that went from OK to BOILING, and THEN we got caught in a traffic jam that didn't move on the Expressway for 3 hours after a wreck on the overpasses. Trailer was an open sided stock model, but we were sitting on HOT pavement for a long time. A hole in the bumper to bumper traffic opened so we could do "a bit of cross-country" on the median into the fast lane so we went for it. We were able to continue our travels, though much behind in our time schedule. Horse spent about 15 hours in the trailer instead of the planned 12, all of it hot temps.

With the icy bedding, he had a good trip, ate and drank, arrived at our house in good shape. Temps were at least 100F while sitting on the highway, in traffic. He never even got sweaty!!

Cautions with the iced bedding is to CLEAN trailer out as quick as possible after arrival. With the heat, wet bedding will mold FAST sitting around, especially if trailer is closed up. A friend didn't clean hers for a couple days after using the ice, was still VERY hot outside, and the mold was TERRIBLE she said. Had to scrub down the inside to get it all out, let the trailer dry with all doors open and fans. She is allergic to molds, so this was kind of hard on her and she told us about it!! We cleaned our bedding the next day, still had a lot of ice in it, but it was also pretty wet with melted ice.

I would suggest leaving very early like the others said. Get as much road miles as possible in cooler temps, before traffic gets bad. Could STILL get bad traffic to slow you down, so being ahead of time is good.

Iced bedding makes horse LOTS more comfortable, should you get held up and he spends even more time on the trailer in the heat. Bedding should be deep enough to cover the ice, let his hooves sink into it a little. Not just a skiff of sawdust or shavings over the mats.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'd leave earlier...3 or 4 am.
    Ditto

If I am close to home, I don't mind driving in the dark and there is considerably less traffic.

I would pass on the show..not worth the risk..

When I'm in doubt I always ask myself do the benefits outweigh the risks?
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakend. ~Anatole France~
    www.EquineKneadsLLC.com

goodhors - I love that idea and I've never heard it before. I'm definitely going to remember that for any hot drives I have to make! Seems wasteful on the bedding but seems like a really good idea for these more extreme situations

I'm on the boat with everyone else. Leave early, as early as you think you can, to avoid the heat, like 4 or 5. Then just spend quality time relaxing, grazing, and hand walking your horses when you get there to make up for lost turnout. I'm sure they'd appreciate not being in the heat on a tin box (esp. if you hit traffic and are stuck for a while) and I think we tend to forget how nice it can be to just take a few minutes to graze our horses. It's one of those luxuries that I think people miss out on in our go-go-go society these days, I could graze my ponies for hours when I was a kid and it was some seriously great quality time with them, too.
    (I certainly don't think you're being unreasonable in wanting to show, to be honest. I'd still go, just take extra precautions, like you are, to deal with the heat)
    "Be fearful of Mediocrity"
    -Jonathon Ellery

You need to leave in time to get there before the heat of the day say 9-10am. You figure out what time that means you have to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by My3Sons View Post
    I would pass on the show..not worth the risk..

When I'm in doubt I always ask myself do the benefits outweigh the risks?
    Rather than expose a horse to temperatures in the high 70s/lower 80s for 4-5 hours in a trailer (which is what it will be in the early morning hours) you'd skip a show? Say goodbye to $400 in entry fees and stabling for that little exposure to weather that isn't even extreme by most peoples' standards?

I guess you don't live in Atlanta, Arizona, or Texas, where temperatures like this are the norm for MONTHS on end rather than the 7-10 days we normally get here in mid-summer.

The predicted high for Saturday at this show is 83, with lows in the FIFTIES. Oh, the humanity!
    Click here before you buy.

4 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=deltawave;7084942]weather that isn't even extreme by most peoples' standards?QUOTE]

Right!!!

Those temps don't cause a single batting of an eye where I live. If they did, we wouldn't trailer from May - September...

Leave early. The earlier, the better. He'll survive without an hour or two of turn out (unless you can turn him out over night). Hand graze him a bunch and hack him when you arrive.

And, I agree with dw. If the show itself was going to be heat index in the triple digits, I wouldn't bother going (which is why I don't choose to compete in my area in July), but traveling in the cool morning, then competing in reasonable temps the next two days is a no brainer to me. Those entries and stabling fees are pricey!

Leave early. On a really hot trailer ride this past weekend, we put cold water on the horse's neck throughout the trip. He came off the trailer cool even though the trailer didn't have the best ventilation (coming from someone who own a stock trailer).

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Rather than expose a horse to temperatures in the high 70s/lower 80s for 4-5 hours in a trailer (which is what it will be in the early morning hours) you'd skip a show? Say goodbye to $400 in entry fees and stabling for that little exposure to weather that isn't even extreme by most peoples' standards?

I guess you don't live in Atlanta, Arizona, or Texas, where temperatures like this are the norm for MONTHS on end rather than the 7-10 days we normally get here in mid-summer.

The predicted high for Saturday at this show is 83, with lows in the FIFTIES. Oh, the humanity!
    Exactly! As long as the show won't be really hot I am going! I have $600 invested in this that I can not get back. We are leaving at 4:30 am tomorrow which gets us there between 10:30-11 with the time change