The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vetting x-ray Question

I had x-rays done on my horse when I first had him vetted, but I was never handed any.
    Do I have a right to own them? Can I ask for them?

With my vet, they are on file. I can ask for a copy of the X-rays anytime I want. Every vet is different though, but I don't think its something that should be a problem if they have them.

Ah ok, thanks. Hopefully they'll give me a copy.

You paid the vet? Then you own access to the rads and should be able to get a copy from the vet (sometimes for a small fee.)

If someone else paid the vet--even if you paid them for the vetting--then that person owns access to the rads, and will need to give the vet permission to release the rads to you.

If it's been a long time, the records might have been destroyed.

Original radiographs are a part of the medical record and as such, normally stay with the DVM (and how long is dictated by state statutes - anywhere from 3-7 years). If you paid for the exam/radiographs, you are entitled to a copy, like Simkie said.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    You paid the vet? Then you own access to the rads and should be able to get a copy from the vet (sometimes for a small fee.)
    If you make kissy faces or are a regular "high-paying" client, sometimes they'll waive the small fee, especially if they're digital rads.

I always get copies within a few months after they're taken just in case the clinic closes or they hit their storage "limit" and start ridding themselves of old records.

Thank you for the responses!
    It's been 1 year, and I did pay for them - is that considered a long time?
    I'll see if she can give me a copy.

My vets automatically give their clients the X-rays (or any images taken) on a CD before they leave. Granted it is a hospital but the field vets will get you copies once they get back to the clinic. I had recent X-rays done and asked if they could put the ones they took six years ago on the CD too and they gladly did (good to see the changes on my mare over the years).
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I'm not sure where you guys live, but I'm looking for a new vet. I was trying to keep this one because she vetted my horse and knows his issues, but she's very hard to get a hold of and is unresponsive to me. I hate to think what would happened if I needed her in an emergency - it's a bit frustrating.

Middleburg/The Plains/Marshall (VA), anyone?

My vet will email my x rays to me when I ask too, if you wanted a copy for your computer or to send to your new vet.

If he was done with digital demography it is simple to get them emailed.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.