The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WIHS- Any safe hostels to stay?

My housing fell through for WIHS. Does anyone know if there are any relatively safe hostels in DC?

Ive always found dumpsters near the federal buildings to be quite comfy. Figures.

There is one on 11th St, about 8-10 blocks from the show. I've never been inside, but there are always a bunch of European kids outside smoking whenever I walk past. It's a safe walk, if you are comfortable walking around cities. I'm sure it'll come up on google.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Though I've never been to that hostel specifically, I've stayed at literally hundreds of hostelling international (which that one is) hostels worldwide, and they've always been in safe locations. Even traveling alone I've felt completely fine, and one of those HI's was in Cape Town, South Africa.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I don't know of any hostels specifically, but typically anything within reasonable walking distance (meaning, 5-10 blocks) of the Verizon center or located within a block or so of a metro station in most parts of the city is going to be fairly safe. Obviously that's not a hard and fast rule, and like any city, $hit happens even in the nicer neighborhoods, so you do need to be aware and take normal precautions to keep yourself safe. Feel free to PM me if you find something and want more info about the neighborhood.

Also--how important is it for you to be walking distance to the show? And why a hostel (price, I'm assuming)? Downtown accommodations can be very pricey, but if you're willing to stay out in MD or VA, you can save quite a bit of money on a hotel and just metro in. Several of the main lines run through the Chinatown stop (which is directly under the show) so you wouldn't have a hard time getting there and back out.
    Last edited by Natalie; Oct. 25, 2012 at 02:02 PM.

I would suggest the Monaco. It's within walking distance and nice..the rooms are small but it is safe and you couldn't ask for a better location. That is where we have always stayed..it is very popular so you might have a hard time getting a room now but it is worth a shot.

Monaco is not exactly the same price as a Hostel - Monaco is about $300+ per night.. I agree see about checking hotels in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, or Alexandria Va - Check hotels along the Red and Yellow Lines as they will take you right to Verizon Center- Gallery Place. Or along the Blue line in Crystal City/Pentagon City but you'd have to change trains.

I used to stay at the Connecticut-Woodley Guest House
    on Woodley (not far from the Zoo) when I had to attend
    business meetings in D.C. It was not fancy but pretty
    quiet and much cheaper than the hotels across the street.
    Its 30 years since I have been there, but the place did
    come up when I did an online search so they are apparantly still in business.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

My apologies..I thought your thread said "HOTEL".. Thats what I get for trying to be on the internet at work

Thanks all for the suggestions, yes considering hostels because of price, but hadn't really considered metro'ing in. Have been checking into these ideas today!

I was gonna say, Hotel Monaco is a Kimpton property (I stayed at the one in Alexandria, which is more in the 180-220 range/night.) GORGEOUS, safe, fantastic service, free goldfish for your room, pet concierge, but not by any stretch of the imagination cheap. I always recommend them, but they aren't in the same class as student backpacker type places. (Which I know none of; I consider it roughing it if the hotel doesn't have a restaurant attached.)

A good general rule of thumb with DC--if the address ends in S.E. (Southeast), don't go there after dark. Don't go anywhere near Anacostia no matter how many assurances you get that it's not THAT bad (it's 'not bad' if you compare it to the Cass Corridor in Detroit at 3am, and it has fewer ugly tall buildings. That's about it.) Another general rule--if you're within the District, it will cost more. Places right on the Metro will cost more, but are absolutely worth it because most of the time, you can get anywhere you need to go.

If that place mentioned above near Woodley Park/Zoo is still around, that's a good area, if you don't mind gibbons screaming at sunrise (and if you have any spare time, the Zoo's free) and it's easy access to the Red Line.

The area right around Verizon is especially safe during WIHS-they always up security and police presence because of all the expensive horses/equipment on the street during the show. I recommend staying in Bethesda if you're looking for something to Metro in. You just hop on the red line and you're there, plus Bethesda has good food if you don't eat in DC.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Check out airbnb.com. Great prices.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio